husband won't eat healthy

Options

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I wasnt there when the resolution was made, but 'getting healthy' doesnt necessarily mean switching to bland steamed vegetables.

Maybe be proactive about what he was imagining when he made that commitment. Maybe sauteed brocclli will work. Pan seared carrots with dill, a dash of honey, and a splash of white wine tastes way better than raw or mushy steamed ones.

Maybe all he had in mind was portion control, which a great many people here follow. Lots of folks have no problem with fries if it fits their macros.

Guess what Im saying is it sounds like you agreed onthe results but havent really discussed the method.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wonder, if the reverse were happening, and he did the bulk of the cooking and made french fries or pizza, how many women would say, "Well, if he's the one cooking, either eat it or make your own." Or would he be an insensitive, unsupportive git for not catering to her needs and whims?

I'm not saying eating healthy is a whim, but there's a world of vegetables out there, and there's a lot just as healthy as broccoli. It shouldn't be the sword you die on.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I assume you're dating a 12 year-old boy, and that's why you're cooking his dinner. In which case, fries are microwaveable, and even an adolescent can push a power button.

This! :drinker:

Or, some of us had adult conversations with our partners and split up the household responsibilities in a way that works for both of us. Seriously, why do people feel the need to judge if one person takes on the responsibility of cooking for the family? Get a life.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Try sweet potato fries - much healthier (especially if you make your own) and handles the "fry" craving. :-)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    If he doesnt want vegetables, get him to make his own fries. Atleast then its not extra work for you

YEP! I'd tell him if he doesn't make his fries then he doesn't eat. Simple as that.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I wonder, if the reverse were happening, and he did the bulk of the cooking and made french fries or pizza, how many women would say, "Well, if he's the one cooking, either eat it or make your own." Or would he be an insensitive, unsupportive git for not catering to her needs and whims?

I'm not saying eating healthy is a whim, but there's a world of vegetables out there, and there's a lot just as healthy as broccoli. It shouldn't be the sword you die on.

Agree.....and really - as much as I love veggies, I know what I would do if my fries are replaced with steamed broccoli.....:noway:
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have to make him something for dinner also to make him happy

This is where you lost me. If this were my husband, he'd be making his own ****ing french fries.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    If he doesnt want vegetables, get him to make his own fries. Atleast then its not extra work for you

As a husband I agree. I want to eat healthy and count my calories. My wife does not. I make all my own meals. She makes the meals for her and our son. Not that they are unhealthy, but I prefer much more control of how much I eat. I only cook as much as I will eat so no leftovers. If he can't be bothered to cook fries for himself, he needs to man up and eat the veggies.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My husband eats whatever I make. I know if it wasn't his favorite that he'll eat a small portion and immediately eat a bowl of cereal after dinner. Fine with me!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I assume you're dating a 12 year-old boy, and that's why you're cooking his dinner. In which case, fries are microwaveable, and even an adolescent can push a power button.

This! :drinker:

Or, some of us had adult conversations with our partners and split up the household responsibilities in a way that works for both of us. Seriously, why do people feel the need to judge if one person takes on the responsibility of cooking for the family? Get a life.

I am the 'stay at home mom', it is my job to cook. If I worked outside the house we'd take turns. Sometimes I make a meal that I pretty much know ONLY I will like, but make sure there are easy to fix options for the rest of the family, or make a few sides they like. Sometimes I make a big buffet with everything everyone likes. sometimes we all just get our own, sometimes I make meals for them, that they love and have a small amount and get something 'healthier'
    My 16 yr old has a LOT of very Strong preferences and cooks his own meals most nights, but still eats with us.
  • AnnieMontes28
    Options
    well I understand this one, it's not always so easy to make a guy do everything 50/50 but you could at least make lower fat lower calorie options of what he eats. Bake what you normally fry, use the sprays instead of oils, use low fat dairy products like milk, cheeses, sour cream etc. I have done this with my kids who are picky eaters and were not ok with the big changes at first but it has gone over well :) look up recipes online too...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Unless he is a total A-hole, it will rub off on him. He needs to see your commitment to this, and you need to talk to him about this and tell him that this is important and you cant succeed with temptations.

I live with Mr. Picky never touch anything green 8 Dr. Peppers a day. He is down to diet only, will eat a romaine salad every night, NSV he now puts carrots on his salad, and has lost 60lbs.

You have to make the initiative. I often cook two seperate dishes. Usually that means I just add extra vegetables to the dish and then I portion control out my serving. Once that is gone off you plate you dont eat anymore and you dont pick off of his.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Well I would say tell your husband this is whats for dinner.....and if he wants something else let him fend for himself.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    my husband doesnt cook because he would burn down the house. i can get him to eat more by using recipes that are flavorful (try skinnytaste), also i wouldnt blame him for not wanting to eat plain steamed broccoli, i think its gross too. I'd try a medley or a side salad with extra veggies tossed in with an olive oil vinaigrette.
  • Rejuvn8
    Rejuvn8 Posts: 74
    Options
    Well I would say tell your husband this is whats for dinner.....and if he wants something else let him fend for himself.

I'm not sure I would say it quite that way LOL! However, I very much agree with the point. You are making an effort to better yourself by eating healthy which sets a terrific example for those around you! It is not as though you are trying to convince your husband to take up smoking or drugs for Pete's sake! You are implementing a lifestyle change that would be good for anyone in your household, right? Why try to navigate around that fact? I say to go ahead and fix the meals in a healthy way you think he may be responsive to and if it doesn't work for him, save the left overs for your lunch the next day. He will not starve! He is a grown up and will make his food decisions as he sees fit :-)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Even my teenager knows that if he doesn't want to eat what was made for dinner he can either a) starve or b) make something else himself.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

Thank you.
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Just because I make a decision to eat differently doesn't mean everyone else who eats my cooking has to as well. I tend to make meals that I know everyone will like. If I want a side that someone doesn't like, I'll make another side in addition that I know they like.

Also, there are ways to make low-cal/healthy dinner options yummy and appealing to everyone. You just have to find them. Talk about what you both like and use ingredients that will make the dinner fit better into your day.

This is what I have started doing, since we both need to eat better...
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I usually make something different for my boyfriend because he doesn't like my healthy food, but the only reason I do that is because he's disabled and cannot cook for himself. That being said, if I were with an able-bodied man who did not want to eat the same food as I do, that b!tch would be cooking for himself.
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My hubby eats what I cook, every night! There are something's he doesn't care for but we are teaching 2 children how to eat healthy by choice and that's important to both of us. Btw. Hubby is 5'6 128 lbs and could eat whatever he wants but, he loves me and supports this lifestyle for me. He has a stash of contraband items ( chocolate) he keeps to kinds I hate. Nothing feels better as a parent than having your kids healthy and happy. They now will beg for subway when I'm out of town and my hubby thinks its funny when given the choice of any takeout they now choose subway on their own! Makes me proud! Hold firm and talk with him about your needs and his choice to help!