Dancer bodies?

Options

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    What kind of muscles can I expect if I dance like this?
    carlton-dance-gif.gif

None of this even matters if you can't make your pecs dance.

tumblr_lx9mqbKqxg1r9bsdro1_500.gif
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Also...

I love this:

123989795960895100_qn7brmkL_f.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Sigh. It's boring when people get all pedantic over my choice of wording.

Choose whatever word you like to describe the OPPOSITE of chunky muscles. Simple. :yawn:

I'm telling you clearly that what you are saying does not exist. But keep blaming the wording
  • peachfigs
    Options

Sigh. It's boring when people get all pedantic over my choice of wording.

Choose whatever word you like to describe the OPPOSITE of chunky muscles. Simple. :yawn:

I'm telling you clearly that what you are saying does not exist. But keep blaming the wording

I appreciate you educating me on something I don't know, after all I am the one asking questions here. But no, I'm not trolling, or saying you can "stretch" a muscle, I just don't know how to explain something as well as the other people on this thread can.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Oh Dave, I could lift thousands of pounds and never get chunky muscles. Really. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Compare the two:

Zuzanna (not a dancer), who has shorter, "chunkier" muscles, especially in her arms

zwowPost-featured-292x256.jpg

0.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

featured-airport.jpg&w=594&h=412&c=1&q=100

Then compare her body with the Cambridge ballerinas, who have a different kind of athletic look:

603475_425732400798452_229085024_n.jpg

523757_417856288252730_2013889079_n.jpg

574959_482376025134089_885232449_n.jpg

Why do they have such a different look? Their muscles seem longer and more stretched out.
    Ballerinas don't train their arms.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    ballerina.jpg

ballerina_02%255B1%255D.jpg

ballerinas_dance-2819.jpg
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Strength training is going to bulk you up, your going to have a toned look and a very visble defined look. When your a dancer you do not want a defined look, you want a smooth gentle look the way a dancer trains her body is by stretching, constricting, balance, and core. Your movements are very controlled and concentration is very important. When your weight training your focused on the muscles your building at the time not every single one at once. If your looking for a true understanding i suggest looking into a dancers workout they have one they have been advertising.

If you want a toned, hard, defined look strength train with bouts of cardio.

If you want a smooth gentle look core, cardio, and balance are key.

pretty much nonsense here

This.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'll just drop this off here, this is a good friend of mine who is a professional dancer:

ERoBkBw.jpg

Edited to add: This is obviously a move that requires strength and power to pull off, as evidenced by her musculature. I think the idea that dancers have to have some "willowy" form is an insult to the strength they build from their hard work. It's not all barre exercises and gentle flowing moves. My youngest sister is also a dancer, has been for 20 years, and I have several friends that do the same thing.

wow! awesome legs!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    sigh @ sigh!

We've been here before - but:

My belief (no evidence here) is that if you stretch a muscle while it is under tension - for example doing a quadricep stretch while pushing the foot back into your hand - you place the tension, the intensity of the contraction, across the entire length of the muscle rather than it being concentrated in the middle (the belly) of the muscle. This increases muscle mass across the entire length of the muscle rather than the middle of the muscle.

Hence, stretching while contracting (as in dance work, yoga, etc) will give a longer muscle appearance and contracting without stretching (as in weightlifting generally) will give a bulkier more rounded muscle.

A second theory, which negates the above is that it is all down to genetics and people are generally attracted to what their bodies do more naturally because it is this that we gain the most satisfaction from and that is why the two groups look different.

Watch this get shot down. I love MFP!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    nevermind. already addressed. =)
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Not totally agreeing with the genetics answers. Not all ballerinas have been genetically crafted and formed and destined by fate to have these longer arms. It's to do with the amount of muscle both Zuzanna and the ballerinas have. Before I worked out I had loooooong, thin arms, very much like the below pictures, but since I've gained some muscle, my arms appear much more 'compact'? and a little shorter I guess. I bet if you were to see Zuzanna without the muscle on her arms, they would appear much longer.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Compare the two:

Zuzanna (not a dancer), who has shorter, "chunkier" muscles, especially in her arms

zwowPost-featured-292x256.jpg

0.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

featured-airport.jpg&w=594&h=412&c=1&q=100

Then compare her body with the Cambridge ballerinas, who have a different kind of athletic look:

603475_425732400798452_229085024_n.jpg

523757_417856288252730_2013889079_n.jpg

574959_482376025134089_885232449_n.jpg

Why do they have such a different look? Their muscles seem longer and more stretched out.
    Ballerinas don't train their arms.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

LMAO!! BINGO!!! You got it!! Totally!! It is so true!!!!! Ballerinas don't train their arms. :laugh:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'll just drop this off here, this is a good friend of mine who is a professional dancer:

ERoBkBw.jpg

Edited to add: This is obviously a move that requires strength and power to pull off, as evidenced by her musculature. I think the idea that dancers have to have some "willowy" form is an insult to the strength they build from their hard work. It's not all barre exercises and gentle flowing moves. My youngest sister is also a dancer, has been for 20 years, and I have several friends that do the same thing.

This is exactly what I wanted to say in one amazing picture! If you meet dancers or go to the ballet you will see that they are incredibly athletic and when moving you can see their muscles in action. It's also interesting on the photos posted on the first page of the thread that while the ballerinas may have less obviously muscular arms they have equally muscular legs.

Bottom line is I'd kill for the fitness levels of all the dancers and heavy lifters posted in this thread!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    sigh @ sigh!

We've been here before - but:

My belief (no evidence here) is that if you stretch a muscle while it is under tension - for example doing a quadricep stretch while pushing the foot back into your hand - you place the tension, the intensity of the contraction, across the entire length of the muscle rather than it being concentrated in the middle (the belly) of the muscle. This increases muscle mass across the entire length of the muscle rather than the middle of the muscle.

Hence, stretching while contracting (as in dance work, yoga, etc) will give a longer muscle appearance and contracting without stretching (as in weightlifting generally) will give a bulkier more rounded muscle.

A second theory, which negates the above is that it is all down to genetics and people are generally attracted to what their bodies do more naturally because it is this that we gain the most satisfaction from and that is why the two groups look different.

Watch this get shot down. I love MFP!

How do you have a 'belief' about something scientific with zero evidence? How does that even make sense?

Of course it'll get shot down. It's something you made up because it sounds nice.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Dancers train their lower bodies much more than their arms (although her back will be pretty muscular.) If you could compare their legs they'll be pretty similar in muscle mass.

Also, ballerina's don't bulk. The power of their movement comes from strength enhanced by lightness, which makes the moves easier to perform.

The other woman has probably bulked at some point to get bigger muscles.

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Well, the clear winner is the girl with the boobs. Fake or not, I don't care.

That is all.
  • flamencobarbie
    flamencobarbie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I really like the pictures of the dancers.. I am a dancer, I always get inspired by other dancers.. Thanks for the post.. I do not have your answer, but maybe someone has already given you one. :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    nvmd - missed the follow up
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I went to the ballet this sunday.....some of them looked long and lean...some of them looked muscular...

there are some things to consider....

1. it's how the body is portrayed. If you are picking up a heavy thing, you're muscles are gonna bunch up. if you are stretching out in a arabesque, you're muscles are gonna stretch out....

2. it's genetics. And a lot of dancers that work for dance companys are chosen for their body. For example, a coveted body type for a dance company is 5'10" very lean, very compact...they want a look of uniformity and length and elongation.

That being said it's changing in the dance world (slowly) and if you googled dancers that are exclusively modern and NOT ballet dancers you would see more muscles in a lot of them.

3. Ballet dancers for the most part do not lift. Zuzanna works with weights I believe.

but the purest answer is genetics.... we can work those muscles any way we want, a large part of how they react to what we do is genetics.

^^what this lovely lady said