Dancer bodies?

Options

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Of course I am biased because I love yoga, but I find once you get into yoga there is enough strength work training for the more advanced poses that weightlifting is not necessary to progress in yoga.

I do bodyweight exercises to supplement my yoga if I find a weakness that can be addressed more directly in the short term and I find yoga doesn't develop the pulling side of the muscles so I do bodyweight pull-ups to cover this.

Having said all, there are experienced female weightlifters on MFP who lift heavy, tend to increasing flexibility as well and have physiques similar to the goals you have in mind.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The muscles look longer because they are smaller. Skinny people aren't elongated compared to fat people. They're just thinner.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Your right - I've only been HERE half a year.

HAPPY SIX MONTH BIRTHDAY!!!!

oh, wait, you weren't actually born 6 months ago? Life begins before MFP? who knew?

Excellent! Have you not heard my other theory - that Yoga as rejuvinating powers if you do it long enough? I really am six months old.

Carlos, I love ya brother, but this theory is just as valid as the one that johnnyboy is shooting down.

There is no lengthening of muscles. It's total selection bias. You, the OP, and everyone else that is talking about "dancer bodies" or "yoga bodies" or even "football bodies" or "basketball bodies" is picking out pictures of person that was genetically disposed to have the type of body that you like and they you're extrapolating that they did some special form of training to get there.

There are short dancers. And fat dancers. And muscular dancers. Same with yogis, or football players, or whatever type of body you prefer. But you're picking out the one type, tall and lean, that you like while ignoring all the other people with different bodies that do the same exact training.

For your theory of specific training leading to a specific bodytype adaptation, you'd need to provide examples of a dancer (or whatever) that had these short bulky muscles that the OP want to avoid, and then started stretching, and doing BW exercises, and dancer training, and the morphed into the lithe body frame that she is today.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    A dancer has most of her strength in her legs. Dancers have bulkier thighs and calves, and the upper body looks very lithe.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Carlos, I love ya brother, but this theory is just as valid as the one that johnnyboy is shooting down.

There is no lengthening of muscles. It's total selection bias. You, the OP, and everyone else that is talking about "dancer bodies" or "yoga bodies" or even "football bodies" or "basketball bodies" is picking out pictures of person that was genetically disposed to have the type of body that you like and they you're extrapolating that they did some special form of training to get there.

There are short dancers. And fat dancers. And muscular dancers. Same with yogis, or football players, or whatever type of body you prefer. But you're picking out the one type, tall and lean, that you like while ignoring all the other people with different bodies that do the same exact training.

For your theory of specific training leading to a specific bodytype adaptation, you'd need to provide examples of a dancer (or whatever) that had these short bulky muscles that the OP want to avoid, and then started stretching, and doing BW exercises, and dancer training, and the morphed into the lithe body frame that she is today.

I appreciate what you're saying. By comparing dancers to Zuzanna, I was trying to show something on the opposite end of the scale. Of course, I'm not genetically programmed to look like a ballet dancer, nor am I trying to look like one, but I was interested to know if there is a way to avoid the slight bulkiness that Zuzanna has and achieve something more lithe looking, yet still strong and fit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ....because a person's body will adapt accordingly according to the dominant activity undertaken.

For instance running, a long distance runner will look totally different to a sprinter, yet both are doing running.

A dancer will have a totally different physique to a non-dancer.

I don't find this to be the case. At the lower rungs of an activity or sport, you'll see many different body types. In football you'll see a skinny kid playing guard and a fat kid playing RB. In track you'll see sprinters that have bodies that you associate with long distance physiques. At a dance recital you'll see large framed women and small framed women, same with the males. Even within weight class sports, a boxer or wrestler weighs exactly 167 lbs can have a totally different body type than his opponent that also weighs 167.

The reason we perceive different types for sports is because at the elite level, which is where we form a lot of our opinions, we tend to see one particular body type for a particular sport because that is the body type that tends to dominate that particular sport/activity, not because they magically transformed their body type .

"Dancer type" bodies get selected by directors over shorter, taller, or thicker auditioners. The skinny kid playing guard gets steamrolled at the college level, the, skinny sprinter gets smoked by the muscular sprinter, and the fat RB is too slow at the NFL level. You think you are seeing transformation but what you are really seeing is selection.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

DavPul - I agree with the above point you make and I was arriving at this thought myself. I am naturally short and stocky and as I lose the excess fat I find I am developing - or uncovering - a muscular physique and a trend toward abilities in handstands, hand balances and plank strength type yoga where others show a natural flexibility that I have to work much harder at.

I do still think that a flexible physique will look like the muscles are longer simply because the muscles have a greater range of movement compared to someone who is muscular but not as flexible. As you stretch a muscle out the peak is less high and so the muscle appears to be longer. I'm not saying the muscle is longer as it can only be as long as its anchor points on the skeletal frame but as range of movement increases, muscles can look longer in the more open poses.

Thinking about it - when a weight trainer poses, generally muscles are contracted to increase size and peak to the max whereas a dancer generally shows suppleness even when the muscles are contracted as some of the pics above, so it is largely how the subject of the photograph is asked to or wants to pose to show off a particular aspect of their physique.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    misty copeland doesnt have a "dancer's body" yet she's a ballet dancer in fact she looks pretty similar to how i looked when i was an athlete and I pretty much have a sprinter's body. i'm sure others have pointed out the OP's scientific ignorance. activities do not change your genetic code, mmkay?

misty-copeland100.jpg
  • peachfigs
    Options
    i'm sure others have pointed out the OP's scientific ignorance. activities do not change your genetic code, mmkay?

I know that, and have not said that anywhere! I do wish people would read before assuming any of this stuff. I don't even want or expect to look like a dancer. :explode:
  • ethibodaux
    Options
    all depends on the type of dancer. classic, yeah, very slim long tone. on the other hand strippers (don't ask my how i know all of this) have a thicker more cut build. I'm trying to get back to a stipper body. I like curvs, just not soft ones! LOL
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Strength training is going to bulk you up, your going to have a toned look and a very visble defined look. When your a dancer you do not want a defined look, you want a smooth gentle look the way a dancer trains her body is by stretching, constricting, balance, and core. Your movements are very controlled and concentration is very important. When your weight training your focused on the muscles your building at the time not every single one at once. If your looking for a true understanding i suggest looking into a dancers workout they have one they have been advertising.

If you want a toned, hard, defined look strength train with bouts of cardio.

If you want a smooth gentle look core, cardio, and balance are key.

pretty much nonsense here

I disagree. The training of a ballet dancer is totally different to the training of somebody lifting weights to try to show muscles. Ballerinas use their own bodies as weights. The exception may be if they are contemporary or modern ballerinas or if they are recuperating from and injury, but not classical ballerinas, especially those trained with the Balanchine method.

Ballerinas that are part of a company or ballet school are not allowed to run, jog, or even bike. Pilates, Yoga, walking, and sometimes swimming are the only activities allowed besides ballet training. And honestly, who needs it, when they are dancing 6 to 8 hours a day. No body fat in their bodies either.

I agree with another poster that genetics is very important, and even very technical and talented ballerinas don’t make it very far unless they have what is called “perfect lines.”
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I know a girl who is a professional dancer and she is built like a modern gymnast. Of course, I love that look.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Strength training is going to bulk you up, your going to have a toned look and a very visble defined look. When your a dancer you do not want a defined look, you want a smooth gentle look the way a dancer trains her body is by stretching, constricting, balance, and core. Your movements are very controlled and concentration is very important. When your weight training your focused on the muscles your building at the time not every single one at once. If your looking for a true understanding i suggest looking into a dancers workout they have one they have been advertising.

agreed...just no
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    misty copeland doesnt have a "dancer's body" yet she's a ballet dancer in fact she looks pretty similar to how i looked when i was an athlete and I pretty much have a sprinter's body. i'm sure others have pointed out the OP's scientific ignorance. activities do not change your genetic code, mmkay?

misty-copeland100.jpg

YESSSS MISTY COPELAND I was just going to go there. FYI Misty Copeland is a Soloist with American Ballet Theatre, one of the top ballet companies in the U.S.

Exhibit A. Misty's AWESOME legs.

misty-copeland-6.jpg

misty_copeland-1.jpg

Exhibit B. Just awesome in general.

tumblr_m15rmxwfQR1r2qioeo1_400.png

Especially in the U.S., what the professional dance world wants is changing. And it's a good thing.

WHY WOULDN'T YOU WANT TO LOOK LIKE THIS? I for one, want her crazy hyperextended legs.

However, we will always have the Svetlana Zakharova-shaped-types. Right now, Zakharova (Prima Ballerina with the Bolshoi Ballet in Russia) is regarded as one of the best ballerinas in the world.

svetlana-s-AMAZING-feet-svetlana-zakharova-25024406-650-483.jpg

svetlana-zakharova2.jpg

Dancers are going to have longer, leaner muscles because of the way they use their muscles. Lifting your leg in developpe for a 180 degree extension is much different than doing squats.

Also, whether you are a male or female dancer, you need to have incredible core strength. For your viewing pleasure, I present to you ballet god Roberto Bolle.

tumblr_mf01fazcod1qg3jdeo1_500.jpg
  • peachfigs
    Options
    I'd better go. Thanks for all of the informative replies, guys. :laugh: And to clear up any misconceptions...

I don't want to be a dancer or look like a dancer, I don't think you can change your genetics, and I don't think you can stretch or lengthen a muscle. I'm just interested in how body composition differs across different athletic pursuits. That's really all!

tumblr_mf5vyojic91qf4egm.gif
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    dancers are using their own body weight and do a ton of stretching which will lengthen
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Many American female dancers have adopted a more muscular look not just for aesthetics but also injury prevention.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    [img]file:///Users/wendygale/Desktop/8178519.jpg[/img]

I will never be chunky, it's just genetics.

I
    I
    I
  • peachfigs
    Options
    For your viewing pleasure, I present to you ballet god Roberto Bolle.

tumblr_mf01fazcod1qg3jdeo1_500.jpg

OH. :love: Well I'll stick around for that...
  • glassxxballerina
    Options

agreed...just no

To whomever wrote this... have you ever taken a ballet class?

Ballet is not smooth or gentle.

At an advanced level, it's painful, hard-core cardio and strengthening that can leave every part of your body aching for days. And also involves blisters and/or blood.