How much WATER do you drink?

Options

Replies

• aw0430
    aw0430 Posts: 6
    Options
    I drink AT LEAST 120 oz. a day. In reality, you are supposed to drink at least half your body weight in ounces every day. It is key in so many aspects of your body's health.

It balances your lymph system. These glands help you perform your daily functions, balance your body fluids and fight infections.

Water helps purge toxins from your blood which helps keep your skin glowing and clear.

It helps with weight loss. Drinking just 16 oz. of chilled water in the morning can boost your metabolism by 24%.

It increases the production of new blood and muscle cells.

Drinking water on an empty stomach purifies the colon making it easier to absorb nutrients.

There, this is my public service announcement for water...LOL!

It really is the key to everything. When I started my weight loss journey, I know the increase in water helped me lose 19 pounds on the first 2 weeks. The bloating was gone, my skin started clearing up and your over all health just feels good. It is essential to keep the sodium out of your system too. Once you start losing weight, you don't want it to stop and I know water is my biggest aide.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    at least 6-8oz glasses
    on average 9-8oz glasses
    once or twice a week on hard cardio days i can drink as much as 15+-8oz glasses
  • ascrudato75
    Options
    I agree with the other posts about dividing your weight by 2 and that is the number of ounces you need to drink in a day. I am about 160 so I aim for 80 ounces of pure, filtered (room temp water) per day. Two things: If you drink caffeine or alcohol, you need to drink more water to counteract their diuretic affects and many people do not count the water they drink during a workout (drink extra water during your exercise session and don't count it as part of your daily intake).

Secondly, doing any activity to make you sweat will make the body create a demand for water on a cellular level. So, if you are sweating 3 times a week for a decent period of time, your body is now demanding water and will pull available water into the cells for true hydration. If you are drinking enough water and you are sweating enough to create that demand, your body will use the water properly and you will find it is not just going straight to your bladder. It takes time and the combination of drinking enough water and sweating to make this happen. It does not matter how you sweat - either a good work-out, sauna, etc...

One more note - I only count pure water as my water intake. Any other fluids with water, such as tea, coffee or Crystal Light, etc are not recognized by the body the way pure water is recognized. Yes, those liquids can be hydrating but the body has to filter that liquid whereas pure water is immediately available.
  • staceyw73
    staceyw73 Posts: 49
    Options
    I ualy drink at least 3 bottles of 23oz water a day if not more. but I usaly put crystal light in it sence I dont like plan water. I should be drinking 4-5 of the bottles but I guess it depends on how thirsty I am that day.
  • ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    About 3 liters for me...
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink coffee and ginger tea, maybe 6-8 cups a day in total - more in the summer.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Refill a Smart Water 23.7 ounce bottle 4 times so about 90 ounces.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    At the very least I make sure I hit 5 cups, though I've been known to get up to 10-12.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    However much it takes to make my urine colorless.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I try to always get 12-16 glasses (8 ounces glasses) in a day. I eat a lot of processed food so my sodium is usually between 3500 and 5000 so that is why I drink double the water. One the days when I am in the 5000 sodium range, I try to get more than a gallon of water in. I drink plain unflavored water (either bottled or out of my fridge) with no lemon or additives. The only other water beverage that I drink is unsweeteed iced tea (preferrable decaffeineated).
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    cup of coffee, maybe 1-2 diet drinks, 4-6 glasses of water
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic so feel it is important to stay hydrated. I constantly have a glass of water or herbal tea beside me . I read that you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces every day. I think it is especially important if you are wanting to lose weight -

1/2 your body weight + 8oz of water per 15 minutes of exercise is the formula to figure out how much water you should drink each day. I am diabetic also, and it seems even when I'm healthy I'm on the brink of dehydration...once I get sick, it gets bad fast. Plus, drinking water helps flush out fat you've burned...and we all want that, right? ;)
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Generally it's 2 litres a day. Maybe another 500ml to a litre on my lifting days. I don't include my coffee or protein shake in this count.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    8 to 10 glasses.
  • Bigmitch41
    Bigmitch41 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    2-3 litres of water, and 10 cups of Tea!
  • Nauti_Buoy
    Nauti_Buoy Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't even calculate how much water I drink because I'm an Aquaholic:

I drink it as soon as I get up
    I drink it alone
    I drink it while driving
    I even have a bottle in my desk drawer at work
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I can't drink as much in winter, prefer to drink tea to keep warm lol. So winter 4-6 glasses, summer 6-10 glasses.

I find it weird when I see people drinking 15+ glasses, why would you need so much. Too much of anything can end up being bad for you.

half my body weight in oz of water is 117oz, I drink a little more than that what's the big deal? Why do you care?

why the attitude??

it's called water intoxication or water poisoning - it's highly unlikely, but just as bad as dehydration

in response to being called weird for drinking enough water and being accused of doing a bad thing, that's what. Now if that wasn't what was intended then my apologies, but it sure came off that way and I don't take well to being called names.
  • rylovesty23
    Options
    I constantly refill my 23 0z smart water bottle, I drink 5 or 6 a day. I am pretty much always over 100 oz a day no matter what. I find it easier to drink more with this water bottle. As soon as it is empty I fill it back up!
  • kaperlinger
    kaperlinger Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think my plan is very similar. I get the 16.9 oz Ice Mountain waters. I drink one on the way to work, one before breakfast, one before lunch. In between I drink from my 750 ml camelback. When I go home for the evening I go back to my Ice Mountains. Depending on my workout I could drink another 3 before days end.
  • sarahxcx
    sarahxcx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink about 2 litres a day, more in the hot weather not that we get so much of that or if I am doing a lot of running, but I do also drink a lot of herbal tea 4-6 cups a day.

Some days I find okay but other days I do run to the bathroom a lot, not sure why.