Conditions!!?

Options
13»

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I hate to laugh at someone's medical condition but I do find that society takes "diseases" to the next level! I mean, every child is ADD or ADHD and should be on medication these days, aren't they?

tumblr_lrapahqQ1e1qatw1l.gif
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I have Hyperlegumeflatulentobia. When I eat lots of beans I fart. Legit disease. There's a 5K for it and everything.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    These types of threads are great for finding new and uninteresting people to ignore.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have Hyperlegumeflatulentobia. When I eat lots of beans I fart. Legit disease. There's a 5K for it and everything.

it doesn't come up in google :S it says it needs spaces and just shows up a load of science pages about farting lol
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    I hate to laugh at someone's medical condition but I do find that society takes "diseases" to the next level! I mean, every child is ADD or ADHD and should be on medication these days, aren't they?

You've obviously never lived with someone who really does have ADD or ADHD or any of the related conditions.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

crass yes, sarcastic definitely, uneducated no

Surely if you were educated you would realize the million and one ways the human body can go wrong? Or is it just willful ignorance that keeps you in your comfortable, insulated, and condescending bubble?

In a final and more serious response to the outpouring of sensitive souls, there is no denying that our society has made a drastic turn in the last two decades towards throwing pharmecueticals at everyone who walk through the door. Whether this is due to the availability of drugs, the lining of the pockets of drug company execs, or the increase in diagnostics, I don't know. What I do know is that many people look for excuses, not just when it comes to weight loss. If you're not one of those people, then don't worry about it. I never denied the existance of said issues. If you are, you deserve an insensitive reminder. Sorry. Now put the cookie down and stop googling "thyroid and weightloss".

There's no need to be insensitive about anything. You tried to drive sense into those looking for excuses but what you actually did is offend people with conditions beyond their control. My mother in law suffers from RA, something that she could not have controlled that makes it difficult for her to even get out of bed each morning. Now am I going to go and be insensitive with her and say "tough it out" - no. I would appreciate her for having the willpower to get out of bed each morning, eliminate entire food groups from her diet just to ease her condition and go through the day with a smile. It is tough, very very tough for some. The fact that they are here means they are doing something in the right direction and it is something to be appreciated and not ridiculed.
  • enaid08
    enaid08 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have PCOS. Try being 23 and possibly infertile. Its frustrating because I only get AF twice a year. You probably don't know what AF means because you don't spend your time on TTC forums. Must be nice.

I wish my doctor was lying. I've tried every pill and every diet to fix this but nothing works. May you never have a condition that makes you one of "us".
  • sarah_jones3
    Options
    Did you ever think that prehaps some of those problems where brought on by the high weight those people are here to get help to lose? Or that they are more suseptable to those ailments because of their high weight, and want to lose the weight to relieve their ailments? Or maybe that you are an insensitive prick and have done nothing more than to make those people feel worse about themselves due to your comment?!

On a side note, I have no reason for being in the shape I am right now other than the fact that I have been lazy for the past 2 years after I got out of the Marine Corps and had a baby. So you see, even those that are perfectly healthy can need help losing weight. But even at my heaviest of 185, I would never make anyone feel bad about something they can control, like a health problem!

For me the above it partly true, and while I cannot speak for everyone out their I was diagnosed with IBS while I was at a healthy weight of 135lbs (my goal weight), I have noticed that bad food choices (processed food over fresh) and lack of exercise does make it worse, so perhaps the cause for the increase in some of these types of illnesses could be related to modern lifestyles? just a thought based on how mine reacts, everyone is different in cause and triggers so this may not be true for all,

I also know my mum's IBS is worse due to doctors who give bad advice and far to many pills over the years and a lack of exercise.

As for my own weight issues, is my own lack of exercise and listening to bad doctors rather than my own body knowing full well exercise we good.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Did you ever think that prehaps some of those problems where brought on by the high weight those people are here to get help to lose? Or that they are more suseptable to those ailments because of their high weight, and want to lose the weight to relieve their ailments? Or maybe that you are an insensitive prick and have done nothing more than to make those people feel worse about themselves due to your comment?!

On a side note, I have no reason for being in the shape I am right now other than the fact that I have been lazy for the past 2 years after I got out of the Marine Corps and had a baby. So you see, even those that are perfectly healthy can need help losing weight. But even at my heaviest of 185, I would never make anyone feel bad about something they can control, like a health problem!

For me the above it partly true, and while I cannot speak for everyone out their I was diagnosed with IBS while I was at a healthy weight of 135lbs (my goal weight), I have noticed that bad food choices (processed food over fresh) and lack of exercise does make it worse, so perhaps the cause for the increase in some of these types of illnesses could be related to modern lifestyles? just a thought based on how mine reacts, everyone is different in cause and triggers so this may not be true for all,

I also know my mum's IBS is worse due to doctors who give bad advice and far to many pills over the years and a lack of exercise.

As for my own weight issues, is my own lack of exercise and listening to bad doctors rather than my own body knowing full well exercise we good.

I see where you're coming from. But OPs original post makes it sound like people with conditions are here just to feel special. That is extremely insensitive and totally unnecessary.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    OP people in your personal life aren't telling you, because they know you will judge them.

Yup - given OP attitude, I can see that being true
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    PCOS and insulin resistance are genetic, and yes, they lead to weight gain. They also make weight loss incredibly difficult.

I don't use them as excuses. I preface some of my posts with it because some women aren't aware of these issues and it may benefit them to see a doctor if they have similar symptoms. I also mention it in success threads because I want women with these conditions to know they CAN lose weight; it just takes more effort and won't happen as quickly as with other people.

I can't believe you're shocked to see so many people with thyroid issues, PCOS, etc on a weight loss site, considering those conditions often lead to weight gain and difficulty with weight loss. That's like ranting about the number of diabetics on a South Beach website.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options

Surely if you were educated you would realize the million and one ways the human body can go wrong? Or is it just willful ignorance that keeps you in your comfortable, insulated, and condescending bubble?

In a final and more serious response to the outpouring of sensitive souls, there is no denying that our society has made a drastic turn in the last two decades towards throwing pharmecueticals at everyone who walk through the door. Whether this is due to the availability of drugs, the lining of the pockets of drug company execs, or the increase in diagnostics, I don't know. What I do know is that many people look for excuses, not just when it comes to weight loss. If you're not one of those people, then don't worry about it. I never denied the existance of said issues. If you are, you deserve an insensitive reminder. Sorry. Now put the cookie down and stop googling "thyroid and weightloss".

I don't know about where you come from but where I am a doctor doesn't prescribe drugs unless the patient needs them after extensive tests and diagnosis.
    Many people are on this website trying desperately to minimise the meds they HAVE to take in order to be able to just live.

However, I will be gracious and understanding of your ignorance and just say that may God help you if you develop any "condition" in later life that might require any treatment. I hope that people will treat you better than you treat others although I have heard it said that what goes around, comes around ...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I dunno... you seem highly symptomatic of the disease otherwise known as "insensitive jerkfacedness"...there are a few on this site who also suffer from this malady... maybe you can start a support group and hook up with them?

Good luck on your journey.

:flowerforyou:
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Wow! As someone who has suffered with hypothyroidism for years before I finally gave in to go see the dr you sir, are woefully uninformed. I've come across lots of fellow sufferers who are clearly undertreated by their endos or GPs. Until someone's levels are optimized (optimized and not just in range), good luck trying to lose weight. Google was my ally during my fight to get my levels optimized. I argued my way to an optimal dosage. My dr only cared to get me 'in range'. There was never a cookie in my hand while I was reading journal article after journal article and building my case to justify my requests for increases. If my dr had his way, I'd be on a much lower dosage barely able to function with my hair falling out, extreme brain fog and fatigue 24/7 that made a load of laundry look like a task requiring Herculean strength. Thankfully, he agreed to my requests (hard to argue with peer reviewed articles) and I made incremental steps towards euthyroidism.

I'm now applying that same vigor to losing the hypo weight and yes, I've googled "thyroid and weightloss" (no cookie in hand-again!). Why wouldn't I take advantage of that? I'm confident that this time next year, I will have transformed my body. I lift heavy with a personal trainer and weigh and measure all of my food.

It's clear you take your energy for granted. All a hypo person wants is to have that energy you enjoy every day without thinking about it.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...
    Oh and mind your own business.
This discussion has been closed.