As seen on TV!

Options

Replies

• morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've never actually ordered from an infomercial but have bought things in stores and now we have an As Seen on TV store at our mall. I bought some little thing to loop extra shirt material through to tighten the shirt up (since I lost weigh and it became too big). Such a piece of crap. Back in the 90'sI had one of those hair things that were foam over wire and you roll your hair on it to make buns and french twists. I liked it pretty well but it was a bit too thick. Kinda wish I had it now...

My mom has given me a Slap Chop which I've used a couple of times on herbs and it did ok. She wanted one of those green ceramic frying pans and I got her that as part of her xmas gifts. She says she likes it quite a bit but I just don't see it as being any better than any other non-stick pan.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the Orgreenic (the green frying pan) and I love it! So far...
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Never bought from infomercial, but have bought "As Seen on TV" (ASOT) stuff from stores (WalGreens, Walmart, etc.)
    1) Ped-Egg - works as advertised, very happy with results but don't use as often as should (my issue, not the product)
    2) Yoshi Blade - worked wonderfully first few months until it got dull. Conventional sharpener won't work; haven't taken the time to Google a solution, so the jury is out of this one. If there's a simple solution, then I highly recommend it! Otherwise, no.
    3) Hand blender - not actual ASOT, but a knock-off. Still use many years later, but seems to have a time limit (e.g. 20min continuous) before it starts getting hot. Still use for mashing potatoes (boil'm first, duh), smoothies, etc. When it dies, will buy another.
    4) Bag vacuum - rarely use due to pure laziness on my part; jury's out
    5) Food Steamer - works as advertised, but have to keep volume of food rather low to allow steam to efficiently circulate. Biggest parts are dishwasher safe, but take up a lot of space. Effective, but wouldn't buy again because can't efficiently handle quantities I like to cook in one session. Bought silicon steam floor for existing pots to separate water from food; much cheaper and just as effective, but more manual process (e.g. keep checking vs. set-n-forget)
  • DeborahBatewell
    DeborahBatewell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I bought the Ninja Mega Kitchen System and Tony Little's Easy Shaper. I use and love them both. I'm awaiting the arrival of my Gazelle.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I bought the Magic Jack from a drugstore and the call quality was horrible. It only was used a few times and we didn't renew
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Food saver vacuum sealer ( not directly from infomercial, but because of ) one of the best purchases ever.

I bought one of these from a lady at my work cuz she never used hers. I loved it until I couldn't find the bag size I wanted locally and haven't used it in months..

We usually use the rolls and make our own sizes.

I'm totally incompetent and for the life of me can't figure out how to do the rolls.... I have one sitting in my cupboard too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9XChpIELQs
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    total gym. magic bullet. belly burner. jack la lanne juicer. montel williams hot blender. foreman grill. fry cutter. food chopper(but from pampered chef). pro active. cindy crawford skin care. topstyler instyler rollers. a weird stepping thing where you stand and it just steps side to side.

we live for that **** around here. and friends & fam on both sides. we even gift them all around. and we use the **** out of them too! next up? wen shampoo! & the cooker that you can put frozen things in. forget what it's called?

everything we've bought worked. except for the ab roller. but I think it was more like my abs didn't work. lol. happy tv shopping.

ETA: the slim away is a cheap piece of crap. no matter how loose you put it the zipper still breaks. one time i had to return two in a row bought them took them straight to the bed bath and beyond bathroom telling the girl, these are hit or miss, and had to bring em out twice until one didn't have a faulty zipper. did this repeatedly cause they would break after a couple months anyways. finally found the belly burner, twice the price but it doesn't break. no zipper to break. much better. disclaimer: i don't use it for it's intended purpose of slimming your waist. I wear it loosely to just make me aware where my belly actually is so i don't delude myself into thinking i'm skinny. i have the opposite of anorexia where even when I'm chubby i think i'm hot. so wearing this i feel exactly how out my tummy is and this keeps me on track with cals. for exercise i use it to be aware of my back and posture and to feel a little more secure when working out and to remind me of my limitations. they do seem to slim the area temporarily, i guess, i've noticed that.

ETA @: just saw below. pedegg works my new one on a stick still in the package got stolen or "borrowed permanently" by a family member while on a joint vacay, and snuggie was gifted to my kid from fam, i keep it in my truck for his comfort on trips if we aren't all on the same page temp wise since he has a whole different atmosphere in the back seat. he requests it a lot and it has even served in a pinch at school when bitter cold morning's he left all his jackets at school and would have caught a cold otherwise. looked kinda weird but at his age anything is cute.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The Pedegg... I still use it. My father bought me a Snuggie, and yes I use it... that thing is warm. :happy:

I have also bought Zumba, Winsor Pilates, Tae-Bo Bootcamp, and the Ab workout with the stability ball that the Dancing with the Stars hostess hocked back in the day (I can't remember any of the names at the moment).... I haven't used any of those DVD's in I don't know how long....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I've purchaed Proactive. It's a wonderful product (for me at least). I've purchased Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. Love it! I bought my daughter Stompeez, they stink. Again, I purchased my daughter a Dream Lites. It's a good product and she LOVES it! I think that is all.

same here purchased for a family member and repurchased it over and over and over, at their request. only took a couple of breaks on reordering when they felt their skin was no longer responding to it and switched to a different brand for a bit then switched back and got good results again. i love their reordering program. easy and useful to stay on top of the situation from afar.
  • Missellaneous02
    Missellaneous02 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I never buy from the infomercials. I always assume it's crap.

However I got two gifts in a Yankee swap the Clapper and the Slap Chop.

Slap Chop broke almost immediately.

The Clapper SUCKED. It would either not work at all or it would turn the lights off randomly. It even came with a remote and that didn’t work.
  • MrsMjSmith26
    MrsMjSmith26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Magic Bullet...I LOVE mine! I use it all the time for smoothies, shakes, and baby food.
  • napkinpoem
    Options
    In Florida there was a thrift shop that had a huge section filled with "As Seen On TV" stuff...I got that hair remover where you rub this sandpapery thing on you and the hair is supposed to come off easily. Doesn't work very well. hahah
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

The biggest failure was "Pedi-Paws" (rotating motorized thing for filing your dog or cat's nails). Our dog tried to kill us when we turned it on and attempted to get it anywhere near her paws!

Oh yeah, forgot about the pedi-paws. My in-laws gave it to us because they had great success with their dogs, but ours went nuts. I also go those nail covers to put on cat claws (I can't remember what they were called) those were also epic fails...

Hahaha!!! I read a review of this that said that the only way it work on a cat is if you hit them over the head with it first.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    turbo Cooker...collecting dust.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    My George Formun, Its doesn't make my food taste Grilled at all! YUCK
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I love my Snuggie!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

The biggest failure was "Pedi-Paws" (rotating motorized thing for filing your dog or cat's nails). Our dog tried to kill us when we turned it on and attempted to get it anywhere near her paws!

Oh yeah, forgot about the pedi-paws. My in-laws gave it to us because they had great success with their dogs, but ours went nuts. I also go those nail covers to put on cat claws (I can't remember what they were called) those were also epic fails...

Yup worst ever! ....
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    Wonderfile...i love it. It really is just a file folder that folds in on itself to look like a carry bag, but it does what it says.

Ronco Rotisserie...Got it a long time ago, still have it but never use it. It does work as described, but only if you don't mind waiting for things to cook 3x as long as a normal oven would. "Set it and forget it" isn't just the slogan, it's a necessity. I'll stick to my crock-pot thanks.

Pet-egg (for the wife)...she loves it. i sometimes use it on my thumb to scrape away the callous (bowler's thumb). Works pretty good.

Ninja...not sure if this was a As Seen on TV product, but this thing rules. it's outlasted all other blenders i've owned, and is still going strong.

Pedi-paws...unless you have a chihuahua or some other small dog this product is a waste. My 60+lb dog gets rather annoyed when you are sitting there for 5 minutes,and you still aren't done with the first nail. Would have been quicker to pull out my Dremmel.

Oxy-clean...i can't tell a difference in my clothes, but i don't care for the grimy sand-feeling that's left in my washer when the load is finished.

I gotta believe there is more, but i can't remember at the moment. Hmm, i think i may have an "As Seen on TV" problem...
  • HotGraham4985
    HotGraham4985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, we got a PVX Mop. It was AWESOME.

Right now, I have a Pasta Boat. It is incredible. I use it ALL the time. Pasta always turns out perfect and it's a steamer too, which I use for all different kinds of stuff. It's like $10 at Walmart. I will never boil pasta on the stove again!

Ooh when I was like 18 I got Turbo Jam, workout DVD. I was never able to do it, but maybe soon I will be? Or at least in the next year? Idk.

:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Snuggie
    Pillow pet
    Weed eater thingy (never wears out).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition