Help with anorexia

Options
2»

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 6 years old and weighs 44-46 pounds. She goes through days where she doesn't want to eat anything and days where she wants to eat everything. Your daughters weight sounds fine? Check with her doctor for sure!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I know this is not the right board for this topic; but I couldn't find a board devoted to helping people beat anorexia.

To preface this I am not anorexic, my 6 year old daughter is. I am going to call my daughter "N" for the purpose of this post. I am not sure why because she is so very slender and tiny. I am begining to think its a control thing. She is going to be starting with a psychologist next week but I was hoping someone might have some ideas on how I could help her in the mean time.

N is 6 years old, 3 foot 11 inches, and only weighs 40 lbs. She has always been very slender. She has such long graceful arms and legs. When I was a child I was very slender also. So I figured she was like I was.

Her non-eating started about a month ago. She would only eat a bite or two from any meal and claim she was full. I don't "make" my kids eat their whole plates. Then she got sick this past tuesday (3/12) and quit eating altogether. She's lost 5 lbs in a week (she had been between 47-45 lbs before. Now shes 40). She's seen the Dr on both Friday of last week and Tuesday of this week.

Last night I sat with her and talked with her and encouraged her to eat her dinner. I gave her tiny portions and it still took an hour and a half for her to finish. This morning my husband told her to eat breakfast so she went in the kitchen and made some noise for a while. I was getting ready so when I came out I saw she hadn't eaten (her bowl was clean). I sat with her again and fed her a small bowl of cherrios since she flat out refused to take bites by herself.

I am at a loss about what to do. I can see her hip bones jutting out. Help please...
    How do you know she lost 5 lbs? Do you constantly weigh her? I wouldn't suggest it...Especially since weight can fluctuate during the day, she may not have lost that. I can gain that after a meal, and a child can gain a few lbs too.

I would not call not eating and then getting the flu and losing 5lbs (which is probably mostly water weight if it was 5 lbs) anorexia. She's probably being a perfectly normal kid. Don't assume your children have mental problems because they have a moment where they're not eating much, especially when they're sick and spend much of their time reading. Later in life if she finds out she's being publically diagnosed it could make her feel emotionally messed up even if she's not. Also, reading isn't the most fuel-intense activity. If she's not feeling sick anymore try offering some activity related things, she'll probably get hungry, and she'll probably eat.
  • Danalynn39
    Options
    This can be a difficult thing. I'm realizing being a child or young adult is alot harder these days than when I was younger. I have a 17 year old daughter. We have been going through changes in eating patterns in the past few years. We went through a time when she was a little overweight. And that was fine. She also grew up and got to where she was comfortable. But body image for kids is huge. Friends and kids who aren't so friends will constantly remind them of their difference in bodys. Such as size porportions and such. Which is why my daughter has trouble and turned to not eating. She doesn't like eating in public. And pretty much refuses. And alot of times she won't eat but a large meal one time during the day when she returns home from school. My resolution for this was to buy premix shakes and always have them in the fride. They are quick and provide plenty of nutrients and protein to keep her going. She loves to drink them because "everyone is doing it". A little trickery sometimes helps. In my case I have a teen who at her last appt within a month ago weighed in at 101lbs at 5ft 2inches. So for me I felt importance to keep an eye. I think right now it seems normal, however like everyone says. Get an opinion. That is what I did. They also have specialized people who deal with food related issues. I took her for that too. If your doctor feels it's necessary they will send you that way. One thing I have learned is don't let the scale drive you. Much like the scale for weight loss, it doesn't hold 100 percent bearing. Because you can weigh 100lbs, but be a small build person. Every body is different. Get her checked out and go from there. Good luck!
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    Yes, I would say take her to a professional if things don't seem to improve. If your concern is anorexia I would recommend someone other than an MD or get a referral from an MD because their knowledge of eating disorders tends to be very limited. At age 6, having anorexia isn't unheard of but isn't very common, either, although kids as young as 7 and 8 have been reported to develop it. (see Dana the Eight Year Old Anorexic, a documentary on Youtube) The thought that came to mind for me was that it could be a control thing, or also for attention. Perhaps taking time to make a mommy-daughter day now and again and going for ice cream would be beneficial.

A site I know of is something-fishy.org which is one of the best sites for support and questions.

edited to add:

I'm sure you know this, but just in case -- if it is an eating disorder, be sure to keep your own weight-loss talk to a minimum around her. Such things are big triggers for an anorectic. :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I know this is not the right board for this topic; but I couldn't find a board devoted to helping people beat anorexia.

To preface this I am not anorexic, my 6 year old daughter is. I am going to call my daughter "N" for the purpose of this post. I am not sure why because she is so very slender and tiny. I am begining to think its a control thing. She is going to be starting with a psychologist next week but I was hoping someone might have some ideas on how I could help her in the mean time.

N is 6 years old, 3 foot 11 inches, and only weighs 40 lbs. She has always been very slender. She has such long graceful arms and legs. When I was a child I was very slender also. So I figured she was like I was.

Her non-eating started about a month ago. She would only eat a bite or two from any meal and claim she was full. I don't "make" my kids eat their whole plates. Then she got sick this past tuesday (3/12) and quit eating altogether. She's lost 5 lbs in a week (she had been between 47-45 lbs before. Now shes 40). She's seen the Dr on both Friday of last week and Tuesday of this week.

Last night I sat with her and talked with her and encouraged her to eat her dinner. I gave her tiny portions and it still took an hour and a half for her to finish. This morning my husband told her to eat breakfast so she went in the kitchen and made some noise for a while. I was getting ready so when I came out I saw she hadn't eaten (her bowl was clean). I sat with her again and fed her a small bowl of cherrios since she flat out refused to take bites by herself.

I am at a loss about what to do. I can see her hip bones jutting out. Help please...

You should speak to a child psychiatrist. Try not to be defensive if you are asked a lot of questions about what type of conversations/behaviors your daughter may have observed. At 6 years old it is likely these thoughts are coming to her in response to what she has seen from those close to her.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I think your putting a lable on your daughter that she's too young to have.I have three daughters 26,24 and 8.

My middle daughter is a recovering anorexic and has been holding a normal weight for six years.

Most 6 year old are not body conscious so I would say to check with her M.D and possibly get a referral to a psychologist if he/she deems it necessary.

One thing I cannot emphasis enough,if you are unhappy with yourself and your weight,you need to show a healthy example but not put your own looks/weight down in front of your child.You may be projecting bad feeling on to her.Children that young are perceptive and if she sees you worrying constantly about your weight,she will too.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Has she specifically said she is purposely not eating?

Six seems a bit young to actually have developed anorexia and I would imagine even if that were the case, people here won't be of much help because of her age. I hope the psychologist can be helpful. It is possible she's just not very hungry and is a small person naturally.

I would be careful not to make a huge deal out of something that's possibly quite normal. What has the doctor said (disclaimer: I have only read OP, so this may have been asked and answered).
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Has anything else changed in her life, her home life, school life? Sometimes, as with adults, children control what they can control *food* when they cannot control something else that's going on. I've seen this before with children whose parents were going through divorce/separation or who were being bullied. Not suggesting that this is the issue, just throwing in another possibility.
    I think you're doing the right thing being proactive about this but would echo other posters who say not to make a huge issue out of this just yet as it is a fairly new development and may resolve itself naturally.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Your child isn't anorexic, she's probably going through a phase or has a medical condition affecting her appetite but you need to get off the internet and take her to a doctor.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    since she is 6 have her watch a movie about anorexia and what it does to your body. Seeing images is totally shocking to some and maybe it will open her eyes.

some suggestions..

For the Love Of Nancy
    A Secret Between Friends (When Friendship Kills)
    Sharing the Secret
    and the HBO Documentary..Thin

try to look these up on youtube.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'd take her to her pediatrician.