Why are women always on a diet?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• pterradactyl
    Options
    There is a lot more cultural pressure for women to be thin/fit/attractive/whatever and the expectations are often unrealistic even if they knew how to do things properly. A lot of women are frustrated with their bodies and they have been told that dieting and buying products will solve that problem. That's a little different than making a personal commitment to improve your body.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Well it takes longer for some of us. I started this journey in May 2010 and I thought I would be done by now. It's not that I'm not trying, it's just that it takes some time. It's not that I'm lying to myself, while I do cheat sometimes but I wouldn't be able to maintain this lifestyle without a treat here and there. This thread seems rather toxic even if it wasn't intended to be that way...
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    Because it's much more important for women to have a better figure than the next woman. It's a girl-thing that is very hard to explain.
  • emma155
    emma155 Posts: 152
    Options
    I vote for they're lying to themselves. My friends all tell me how lucky I am to be thin because no matter how hard they try they can't lose weight. If I spend any time with them I know exactly why they don't lose weight but they don't want to hear it.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    They're kidding themselves with how much they're actually eating.

No idea why some women are constantly on a 'diet'.

I get bored of listening to their woes of how they just can't lose, have no time to workout, tell me how 'lucky' I am.

You make your own luck in life!!
  • stephcollins91
    stephcollins91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Secret eating? (not admitting to that slice of cake after a healthy dinner etc)

From personal experience, I have told people I am 'dieting' having not really fully committed, and I haven't lost any weight for that amount of time. This has been down to; too much wine (no calorie count on the bottle means no calories? haha), not admitting to myself that the treats I would have more than once a week counted :P, and not maintaining a proper work out routine.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but those were my downfalls that I have now changed and the weight is dropping off steadily. Some people may just have a slow metabolism or other reasons.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Diet is an ugly four letter word. If you are making changes they have to be life style changes, you cant go back to your old ways and expect to keep weight off. They are most likely lying to themselves or "dieting" for 2-3 days a week and old habits the rest of the week.

This is so true! I'm glad someone else has the same mind set as me! I HATE the word 'Diet' it just screams 'I'm not really bothered about losing weight' there is no commitment in a diet so how can you succeed is you don't commit?

Nonsense. Just because you may not be able to commit to a diet doesn't mean no one else can.

Huh? I can't commit to changing my diet? Are you a fool? I have lost almost 60 lbs from changing my habits all the time, not for any short period...

AND looking at your profile, you have lost 15lbs? Ok so that may or may not be a reflection of who has the winning ideologies...

You said you can't commit to a diet (see your post above re: "there is no commitment in a diet "), not I.

I don't see how my not allowing myself to get 58 lbs overweight shows your ideology as superior, but if it's working for you then it's all good. While it's true I didn't meet the random scale number MFP forced me to enter, I have reached a healthy weight, fitness level BF%, healthy waist-to-height and waist-to-hip ratio, my Dr. says I'm healthy, and I like what I see in the mirror. That's winning enough for me. :drinker:
  • zoomerrs
    zoomerrs Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree that most people who talk about all the dieting they're doing and exercise yet you see no results are lying to themselves. I have several close relatives who are morbidly obese who regularly profess how little they eat, so they have no idea why they can't take off the weight. They are totally deluding themselves because when we actually review the calories in what they eat on a daily basis they are stunned to know the actual calorie counts of their "healthy" meals i.e. large bagel and cream cheese with large coffee and double cream for breakfast, yet they always thought this was such a healthy choice for them? As well I have been with them at many, many meals where they eat portions enough for two or three people.

I don't care if people want to eat what they want and stay at the same weight, but then stop whining about how you have no idea how this is happening. I'm fully accountable to why I'm always struggling with about 20 lbs and keeping a food journal really makes you answer to your eating.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Diet is an ugly four letter word. If you are making changes they have to be life style changes, you cant go back to your old ways and expect to keep weight off. They are most likely lying to themselves or "dieting" for 2-3 days a week and old habits the rest of the week.

This is so true! I'm glad someone else has the same mind set as me! I HATE the word 'Diet' it just screams 'I'm not really bothered about losing weight' there is no commitment in a diet so how can you succeed is you don't commit?

Nonsense. Just because you may not be able to commit to a diet doesn't mean no one else can.

Huh? I can't commit to changing my diet? Are you a fool? I have lost almost 60 lbs from changing my habits all the time, not for any short period...

AND looking at your profile, you have lost 15lbs? Ok so that may or may not be a reflection of who has the winning ideologies...

You said you can't commit to a diet (see your post above re: "there is no commitment in a diet "), not I.

I don't see how my not allowing myself to get 58 lbs overweight shows your ideology as superior, but if it's working for you then it's all good. While it's true I didn't meet the random scale number MFP forced me to enter, I have reached a healthy weight, fitness level BF%, healthy waist-to-height and waist-to-hip ratio, my Dr. says I'm healthy, and I like what I see in the mirror. That's winning enough for me. :drinker:

I never said that I can't commit to a diet, I said that I would NEVER commit to a diet because it is the WRONG WAY to permanently improve your health and fitness. You are naive because you have never really been overweight by the looks of things, you are on this site because all your silly normal wait girl friends are doing it, so you need to follow the herd. I had hoped I wouldn't bring myself down to your level but, you pissed me off with your total lack of knowledge on just about everything you in your comment...