Goat cheese! What do do with it?

Options
adzubak
adzubak Posts: 19 Member
So I have a ready supply of fresh goat cheese made on the northern part of the island, and I am discovering I love the stuff! However, so far I've only added it to salad. I'd love to find other ways to use it though. The catch is that I do not have a full size oven, only a toaster oven, so dishes need to be able to be made in there, the microwave, or stove top. Thank you for any ideas!

Replies

• CHCotton
    CHCotton Posts: 10
    Options
    In the summer I take giant portabello mushroom caps, bbq them (snap the stem off and brush them clean first!) and then put goat cheese and caramelized onion into the cap and eat it with a lite bun as a "burger." It is TO DIE FOR.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I like to grill asparagus on the BBQ and then I crumble some on top and close up the foil. It gets just warm enough by the time I take off whatever else I'm grilling and plate it. It's one of my favourite sides!

ETA: My asparagus are brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with a touch of powdered garlic :)
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It melts beautifully into cream sauce and mushrooms or sun-dried tomatoes and served over sauteed chicken...
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    It melts beautifully into cream sauce and mushrooms or sun-dried tomatoes and served over sauteed chicken...

This sounds heavenly!
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Mix it with vegetables (like artichokes or spinach) or herbs and make stuffed chicken breasts.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    As a pizza topping. This was my dinner last night.

2ir27uh.jpg
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    As a pizza topping. This was my dinner last night.

2ir27uh.jpg

yum... recipe???
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    Boil red beets slice into decent sized slices, let them cool and make a goat cheese stack (slice of beet, goat cheese, beet) great app.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It's pretty amazing in little phyllo dough tarts.

But possibly one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten is grilled polenta topped with goat cheese and onion jam (caramelized onions/shallots and honey also works). I would happily eat that every day of my life.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oh oh oh I love goat cheese!! What you can do is have it on toast and apples ^^ Slice some apples (don't make them too thin!) and place them on top of a slice of toast. Then slice up the goat cheese and those go on top of the apples. Sprinkle a teeny bit of brown sugar on top and pop them in the oven! I actually don't remember how long they're supposed to stay in the oven, but you can watch them ^_^;; Also, I have no idea how calorie friendly (or unfriendly) this is but I can tell you it's super yummy! :D
  • fivecardstudpts
    fivecardstudpts Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ooh, yes would love to get that pizza recipie. Love goat cheese on pizza.
    Jessica
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    yum... recipe???

You can put whatever you fancy on your pizza. I make the base sauce(s). When we have tortilla pizza night in our home, this is the usual list of suspects on mine:

Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce (recipe here: http://goo.gl/hTXhH)
    La Tortilla Factory's high-fiber/low-carb tortilla
    Minced Italian chicken sausage, browned and broken apart in pan beforehand
    Goat's milk cheese, crumbled
    Grape tomatoes, halved
    Baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced thick
    Jalapeno pepper, sliced
    Baby spinach
    Fresh pineapple, cubed
    Roasted garlic cloves
    Sweet onion, sliced
    Sliced Swiss cheese (if I want more protein) or shredded Mozzarella cheese
    Robert Rothschild Farm's roasted pineapple & habanero sauce as the crowning glory

Preparation:
    Spread sauce on tortilla.
    Layer on the ingredients however you like.
    Stick pizza in oven that's preheated at 350 deg F.
    Take pizza out when cheese has browned or when you are too damn hungry to wait any longer, whichever happens first.
    Eat fast so you can make another one pronto.
    Eat the second one slower.
    Pat tummy happily.
    Belch proudly.

:flowerforyou:
  • Evagem
    Evagem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For a wonderful light cheese dip, you can whip up goat cheese, a little heavy cream (milk is OK as well - just does not "fluff" as well), some lemon juice, and lemon zest. Great for dipping pretzels, veggies, and crackers / bread.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Wrap in fresh basil leaves and bake. Mmmmm.!
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I also don't have an oven...well I do but its broken so I use my toaster oven. I love goat cheese! I second the pizza idea as well as in a quasadilla (sp?lol) with spinach, sauteed mushrooms, and caramelized onions. I don't eat meat but I'm sure you could add some chicken or something. I use the flat out wraps which are only 90 calories. I also like to make a filling of lentils and veggies in a wonton cup topped with goat cheese and bake it.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love goat cheese with chopped jalapeno peppers in it and stuff it in celery.

Thanks to everyone :flowerforyou: who is giving recipes and OP who asked the question. Pizza recipe sounds yummy! Beet recipe also.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I spread mine on toast.. and it is really good!
  • rynomite57
    rynomite57 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here's a search for goat cheese on my food blog. Four recipes turned up. All four are pretty healthy too! Good luck!

http://foodchain09.wordpress.com/?s=goat&submit=Search
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My contribution to this thread is less than useless, but...*spaff*
  • CassandraChloeJ
    CassandraChloeJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Drizzle a little olive oil add seasoning and spread on bread. I love goat cheese. That is the only way I have ever eaten it though. I am definitely going to try it some of the other ways mentioned. Thanks!