Subway 6" flatbread or 6' wheat.....

Options

Replies

• TrinityHealthCoach
    Options
    When choosing you have to look at the net carbs. (Total carbs - the fiber grams). When you do that the flat bread does not look so good afterall! Your best bet is the salad bowl with lots of toppings or the 9-gram bread and take the top bun off and eat it open face.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am a regular Subway eater as well. I had the shock of my life when I ran the sodium numbers on my favorite sandwich -- 6 in club on wheat with light mayo, mustard, and a ton of veggies -- damn near 1500 mg of sodium! If you're not concerned about your sodium count, then that won't matter -- but since I watch mine, I was floored. And much of that comes from the bread, believe it or not. *sigh* I will still be eating my beloved Subway, but will definitely be paying attention to what I choose throughout the day to keep my sodium respectable.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    always whole grain, you feel fuller so much longer! <3

The recent research I have been doing would indicate that none of their breads are truly whole grain or whole wheat. They are loaded with soy which for the majority of people is not healthy food.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I like the flatbread for an egg white breakfast sammy and the wheat for lunch or dinner.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Do the Subway's around you have whole grain? The ones here certainly don't.

I don't know where you live, but I know the Subway's near my in Wisconsin have 9-grain wheat... Which I believe is whole grain.
    9 grain is not whole grain either. Caramel coloring and white flour. And soy. Do some research on soy. We were never intended to invest this much soy
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Get what you like. You could do a lot worse than eating at Subway IMHO. I always try to eat 100% whole grain because it doesn't have enriched flour (like most white and "wheat" breads) so it doesn't cause spikes in blood sugar and has a much higher fiber content. That being said, I don't think most Subways offer a 100% whole grain option.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I get and what will work ~better to my taste buds!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options

The recent research I have been doing would indicate that none of their breads are truly whole grain or whole wheat. They are loaded with soy which for the majority of people is not healthy food.

This. And, not only soy, but high fructose corn syrup. Don't even start on their insane sodium counts. Subway really isn't a healthy choice, as much as people make it out to be. Perhaps it's better than chemical McDonalds, but if you love McDonalds, you might aswell eat that instead.
  • Charhoogheem
    Charhoogheem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have worked for subway for 12 yrs and have heard all the arguments both pro and con. Subway advertises 9 grain wheat not whole grain wheat. This 9 grains not whole grains.

Also for those of you that want the wheat bread, ask your local subway to "gut" your bread. "gutting" your bread consists of having the sandwich artist pull the center of the bread out after they cut it. this still leaves you with some bread but half the calories and sodium and the plus side is room for more veggies.

The meat at subway (turkey, ham, cold cuts) are all processed meats so their sodium content is higher. Eat the roast beef or one of the chicken sandwiches to keep your sodium down also all but the cheddar cheese is processed.

As someone mentioned go with the salas they are huge and very filling.

Just my 2 cents worth
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell XXL Nachos!
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good discussion, I could not even contemplating eating from Subway on a diet.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I agree that the wheat is "better" for you than the flatbread. I recently realized that you can get any sandwich made into a salad bowl. I had one the other day and it was awesome! Used spinach instead of lettuce and got turkey meat and all the veggies I wanted. I got an order of their guac for dressing. It was huge and really good. So, personally, when I dine at subway in the future, I'll be skipping the bread altogether.

^This!!! It's much more worth it to me. I like to do either a buffalo chicken version of the sweet onion chicken teriyaki, because sweet onion dressing is low fat. I dont discriminate against any veggie so I get every topping available except the cherry peppers and that makes a decent sized very filling salad.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, all the subway breads are crap. When I go, I get a spinach based salad. You can have any of their sandwiches made into a salad.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, all the subway breads are crap. When I go, I get a spinach based salad. You can have any of their sandwiches made into a salad.

agreed
  • lilncbrat
    lilncbrat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are going to think I am crazy but that is fine. I love wheat bread, myself, but until I lose my weight, i eat my sandwiches on Romaine Lettuce leaves or cabbage leaves. I love the flavor and that way I can spend my calories on something I like better, like cheese. LOL. But of course, it's a personal choice!
  • lilncbrat
    lilncbrat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree that the wheat is "better" for you than the flatbread. I recently realized that you can get any sandwich made into a salad bowl. I had one the other day and it was awesome! Used spinach instead of lettuce and got turkey meat and all the veggies I wanted. I got an order of their guac for dressing. It was huge and really good. So, personally, when I dine at subway in the future, I'll be skipping the bread altogether.

^This!!! It's much more worth it to me. I like to do either a buffalo chicken version of the sweet onion chicken teriyaki, because sweet onion dressing is low fat. I dont discriminate against any veggie so I get every topping available except the cherry peppers and that makes a decent sized very filling salad.

VERY GOOD POINT!!! I don't eat dressing so that is never an issue with me but their chop chicken salad is good too, but I don't know about the nutrition content. It's been a while since I have been there.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Oh. Awesome!
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wheat is EXTREMELY bad for you at Subway. A 6 inch 9 grain wheat is just like eating a 1 pound package of bacon. The minimum sodium requirement is about 1,500mg of sodium each day. This is less than 1 teaspoon of table salt. The maximum recommended level of sodium intake is 2,300 mg per day and the wheat bread takes you to about 2,400! Yikes! But flat bread is the best choice and if you want a full tummy drink tons of water or eat celery (0 calories and package with H2O). Try out this blog and others, it will make your way of "eating fresh" Much healthier (;

> http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/06/12/food-babe-investigates-is-subway-real-food/

Yep - I used to eat Subway daily but then when I really started looking at the nutritional value I noticed that EVERY sandwich there - yes, even the 6" subs - have TONS of sodium. I haven't been back to Subway since....
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    either one. the wheat there is probably just white bread dyed brown anyway. :tongue:
  • stephonbenavides
    Options
    Bro, get a 6" flatbread. I just noticed that the 9 grian wheat bread and the 9 grain honey oat bread have high fructose corn syrup. Plus they both have enriched wheat flour which is the worst flour ever made.