hummus ideas?

Options
nikibob
nikibob Posts: 165 Member
i have recently discovered the amazing-ness of hummus. i love the taste but the texture is just odd for me. how do you eat your hummus? i need ideas!

Replies

• niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    not very adventurous but i use it as a dip.....for EVERYTHING!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ryvita cracker, tbsp of roasted garlic hummus and a turkey slice on top. Amazing!!
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i have replaced my mayo obsession with hummus. LOVE IT!
  • nikibob
    Options
    ryvita cracker, tbsp of roasted garlic hummus and a turkey slice on top. Amazing!!

this sounds amazing!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches (great with tomato), with crackers, preztel thins, pita bread, pita crisps, carrot sticks, red pepper strips, bagel chips.

You can change the texture when you make it by adding more or less liquid. I find adding a few tablespoons of water, a little at a time, makes it nice and fluffy. If you like it denser and thicker, add less. If you only buy it, shop around--different brands will have different textures.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I love to just eat it with carrot sticks, or in a sandwich.
    But I also mix chopped up broccoli in a bowl with low-fat garlic houmous and bake it. It's sooo tasty.
  • nikibob
    Options
    Sandwiches (great with tomato), with crackers, preztel thins, pita bread, pita crisps, carrot sticks, red pepper strips, bagel chips.

You can change the texture when you make it by adding more or less liquid. I find adding a few tablespoons of water, a little at a time, makes it nice and fluffy. If you like it denser and thicker, add less. If you only buy it, shop around--different brands will have different textures.

thank you so much! going to have to try and make my own.
  • vasunshiine
    vasunshiine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In the summer with fresh veggies, I love to take a low carb wheat wrap, spread hummus on it, chop up a cucumber and a tomato, wrap that and yummmmm so good. Cant wait till the veggies start coming in this summer.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    It's really easy if you have a food processor! Basic ingredients are 1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, 2 to 4 tablespoons tahini, juice of half a lemon, a clove or two of garlic (can also use the minced garlic that comes in a jar or tube, or even garlic powder if that's all you have on hand), salt to taste. Whiz in food processor, adding a little water at a time until you get the texture you like. Stop and scrape the sides of the container from time to time.

With time, you'll find out if you like more or less tahini, more or less lemon juice, more or less garlic. Some people add olive oil to the hummus while processing, I like to leave it out and drizzle a little on top when it's finished and ready to serve. Some people use the liquid from the chickpeas instead of water--that's fine, but I think the texture comes out better with water. But it's so easy to make you can play with it until you find the way you like it best.

And you can add all sorts of things to vary it: hot or sweet peppers, black olives, pine nuts, various fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, dill, mint, etc...lots of possibilities!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I used some as a spread on my sandwich today instead of mayo or guac.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like it with baby carrots or as a dip for chicken. It's also good to stir a little in to some brown rice and steamed veggies to give them some flavor :)
  • munsterisque
    Options
    Try the classical approach. toasted Brown Nann Bread dipped into Hummus. Tastes great.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    not very adventurous but i use it as a dip.....for EVERYTHING!

Really?

That's kinky.

Lemmegetyourrnumber . . . .
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use it as a replacement for mayo - for example egg salad with hummus instead of mayo, taco salad dressing with hummus/salsa dressing. Much more filling than mayo!
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like to make deviled eggs with hummus! Just a little scoop in the center of a halved egg white and a dash of paprika! Amazing!
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love it in a tortilla with chicken, tomatoes, and lettuce. (like a sauce)
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Roasted red pepper hummus in my fave. I just pile it on veggies in place of dressing. Also good on salad. Honestly love it on pita chips but don't eat too many of those these days. I've also put it on a sandwich like a spread.
  • katzbluez
    katzbluez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's really easy if you have a food processor! Basic ingredients are 1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, 2 to 4 tablespoons tahini, juice of half a lemon, a clove or two of garlic (can also use the minced garlic that comes in a jar or tube, or even garlic powder if that's all you have on hand), salt to taste. Whiz in food processor, adding a little water at a time until you get the texture you like. Stop and scrape the sides of the container from time to time.

With time, you'll find out if you like more or less tahini, more or less lemon juice, more or less garlic. Some people add olive oil to the hummus while processing, I like to leave it out and drizzle a little on top when it's finished and ready to serve. Some people use the liquid from the chickpeas instead of water--that's fine, but I think the texture comes out better with water. But it's so easy to make you can play with it until you find the way you like it best.

And you can add all sorts of things to vary it: hot or sweet peppers, black olives, pine nuts, various fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, dill, mint, etc...lots of possibilities!

saving this!

But I like it as a dip for everything or a spread. I am not a big fan of brown rice so the other day i threw a bit into my rice on a whim, made it edible for me!
  • kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    hummus is my go to snack with veggies. Typically, cucumber sliced about 1/4 inch thick and grape tomatoes. There are all kinds of flavors out there too.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    As a dip (i.e. carrotts), on a wrap (i.e. with veggies and turkey)...i love hummus!