abdutor machine

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
my gym does not posses this machine....... so any other alternative for this workout for thighs?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Read this, the thigh abductor machine is not necessary: http://fitandfeminist.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/the-abductoradductor-machine-a-scam-perpetuated-on-women/

Do squats, deadlifts and lunges and you whole thighs and glutes will be well worked.

Edited to recorrect autocorrect.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    good for your gym for not having that worthless piece of claptrap. you do not need four exercises (abduct, adduct, extend, curl) to work a muscle group that does one primary thing.

Look for this machine. It's all you gonna need.

UuamX2b.jpg

you can thank me later
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    good for your gym for not having that worthless piece of claptrap. you do not need four exercises (abduct, adduct, extend, curl) to work a muscle group that does on primary thing.

UuamX2b.jpg

you can thank me later

^

YOU ARE THE MACHINEEEEEEEEEE!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    good for your gym for not having that worthless piece of claptrap. you do not need four exercises (abduct, adduct, extend, curl) to work a muscle group that does on primary thing.

UuamX2b.jpg

you can thank me later
    ^SQUAT!
  • smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just got done working on that machine, and I can confirm that it worked everything.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with above. Wide stance squats, narrow stance squats, one legged (or bulgarian split) squats, as well as deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts will take care of you.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    agreed squats. Although i don't feel in on my inner thighs even when i do squats, lunges, deads, etc.

The only thing that burns inbetween my thighs in the hip abductor machine. ;)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Pilates and yoga do shiz like that... I've done a few classes and hated it... so I just squat.
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options

UuamX2b.jpg

you can thank me later

Omg that's a thing of beauty :-) I'm still trying to convince my trainer at the gym to let me off the damned machines and onto the freeweights (which I'm using at home!!!) Apparently I have to 'build up muscle strength before trying to lift free weights' - only another 3 months left on my contract ;-)
  • smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    agreed squats. Although i don't feel in on my inner thighs even when i do squats, lunges, deads, etc.

Try a low-bar squat with your legs and feet at about 30 degree angles, and get your thighs below parallel. You'll feel it.

6a010536b8cd27970c0133f2ee8488970b-800wi.jpg
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with above. Wide stance squats, narrow stance squats, one legged (or bulgarian split) squats, as well as deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts will take care of you.

Did them Monday... (with the exception of the one legged squat)

sure as heck felt them Tuesday... More so than when I used all the other machines. I also felt it in my abs, arms and back... Felt good!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Try a low-bar squat with your legs and feet at about 30 degree angles, and get your thighs below parallel. You'll feel it.

NVM, perfect picture!
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options

UuamX2b.jpg

you can thank me later

Omg that's a thing of beauty :-) I'm still trying to convince my trainer at the gym to let me off the damned machines and onto the freeweights (which I'm using at home!!!) Apparently I have to 'build up muscle strength before trying to lift free weights' - only another 3 months left on my contract ;-)
    I had a trainer tell me the same thing. I did strength work on the machines for a few months and saw little if any gain. I one day just said, "fvck it, I know what's best for me" and started hitting the free weights.

This "trainer" was also telling a client that the Smith machine was the best thing for learning how to squat.
  • DavPul
    Options

Tell your trainer that Dave said he's fired. For reals
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

UuamX2b.jpg

you can thank me later

Tell your trainer that you're paying them and to show you what YOU WANT not what they think you want.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Tell your trainer that Dave said he's fired. For reals

^^^This cause that doesn't even make sense.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they do not have a joint abductor/adductor machine? They are very popular, especially among female clients. Especially chains all have them Gold's, Planet Fitness, 24H fitness, Equinox, LA Fitness, etc.

The alternative from mens health: Work the same muscles, but while standing. Simply loop a resistance band around both legs, and position the band just below your knees. Now take small steps to your left for 20 feet. Then side-step back to your right for 20 feet. That’s one set. This is much harder than it sounds, but you can do it anywhere, and it’s also a great warmup for any sport.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options

UuamX2b.jpg

you can thank me later

Tell your trainer that you're paying them and to show you what YOU WANT not what they think you want.

I understand what you are getting at here, but that's like telling your english tutor that you don't want to learn about sentence structure, just poetry. Technically, you're paying a trainer to help you get more fit and train you, not just do what you want.

That said, If you feel you need or want to switch to free weights, then by all means discuss it with your trainer, but just be prepared for them to continue to push you along the program they have designed.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

UuamX2b.jpg

you can thank me later

I understand what you are getting at here, but that's like telling your english tutor that you don't want to learn about sentence structure, just poetry. Technically, you're paying a trainer to help you get more fit and train you, not just do what you want.

That said, If you feel you need or want to switch to free weights, then by all means discuss it with your trainer, but just be prepared for them to continue to push you along the program they have designed.

ugh. this is why i assume every trainer is a twit until proven otherwise.
  • DavPul
    Options

the problem here is that the trainer is flat out wrong. it's one thing to have disagreements about which particular program is best for a person as most of that is theoretical/anecdotal based. But a trainer that says that machines will prepare a client for using free weights is straight up smoking crack. It's indescribably wrong.