Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    He hasn't been here since October of last year..................................doubt he's coming back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    HI,

I would like to know your thoughts on processed foods consumption and weight loss,

so basically all the foods that are not grown from the ground ,

would you agree that these processed foods cause insulin levels to elevate and stop us from losing weight as effectively ?

thanks

I would not agree with your statement.

Just because a food is processed does not mean it has to significantly change the nutritional values of the food. Processing is not inherently bad. Example: take an apple, smash it, add cinnamon, and put it in a jar. You now have processed applesauce.

Here's a video I did going into processed foods in more depth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ZxKpxNadE
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    In response to all the questions about reaching a "fat loss plateau"

The quick answer is: you're eating too many calories. Cut your calories by about 10%.

I go into more detail about fat loss plateaus in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hWej4e1u0

I've been getting a lot of the same questions about fat loss plateaus and stalling. If you really don't think its your calories, then go get your thyroid checked.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I believe the general recommendation is 0.8-1 g per KILOGRAM of body weight.

Sorry to correct, but I'm a dietetic intern....

That's the RDA of protein to make sure you don't become deficient in protein.

Avoiding deficiency and achieving an optimal level for preserving lean mass during a caloric deficit are 2 different things.

1g per pound of lean mass to 1g per pound of bodyweight is optimal.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I was wondering if you could suggest low cal foods to increase calcium and iron as I am always on the lower end with my results. Thank you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=high+calcium+foods
  • Spamcat
    Spamcat Posts: 45
    Options
    HI Tony!
    I am a T2 diabetic and need to increase my protein - without increasing carbs or in any way. I can take care of those all to well unfortunatly.
    I don't want to give up my papaya and limes but want to stay balanced
    Any suggestions?
    Spamcat
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Any lean meat will be high in protein and no carbohydrates. Examples- white fish, chicken breast, lean beef, lean pork, shrimp, scallops.

Also, Isopure makes a good protein powder supplement with 0 added carbohydrates. Try supplementing if you can't reach your goals with food.

Good luck.
  • annakserpente
    Options
    HI there!

Thanks so much for doing this!

My stats:
    Ht: 5'3
    CW: 138
    Activity: walk my dogs almost everyday anywhere from 20 min-90 min and play tennis 2-3 times a week. Recently started crossfit!

My question regarding diet is about "when and what." I understand that I am eating healthy and am active enough that i will maintain my weight, etc. HOwever, I am trying to lose 8-10 lbs before summer. I would like to know "what" is best to eat to maximize my crossfit workouts and "when" should I be consuming these things?? There are some evevings when I don't finish class till almost 8:30. I feel like that is too late to eat dinner and/or I have eaten before. Or the class is at 6pm and its too early to eat, so I need to do something after!

I would love your opinion! Thanks again.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    HI there!

Thanks so much for doing this!

My stats:
    CW: 138
    Activity: walk my dogs almost everyday anywhere from 20 min-90 min and play tennis 2-3 times a week. Recently started crossfit!

My question regarding diet is about "when and what." I understand that I am eating healthy and am active enough that i will maintain my weight, etc. HOwever, I am trying to lose 8-10 lbs before summer. I would like to know "what" is best to eat to maximize my crossfit workouts and "when" should I be consuming these things?? There are some evevings when I don't finish class till almost 8:30. I feel like that is too late to eat dinner and/or I have eaten before. Or the class is at 6pm and its too early to eat, so I need to do something after!

I would love your opinion! Thanks again.

Good questions.

1. Meal timing and frequency (when you eat or how often) has no significant impact on your weight loss. Eat as often or as little as you like. Late at night too.

2. What should you eat? Whatever you enjoy eating that fits your nutrition goals. I know you're doing crossfit so I'll just say this as an aside: paleo diet is not necessary or even optimal for fat loss.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My Stats:

Ht: 5'5
    CW: 155
    Age 40
    Sedentary office job, but I enjoy a good long walk on the treadmill.

I have an issue with will power that ebbs and flows - mainly hormonal driven is my suspicion. I have decided to push to lose 3-4 pounds when I am driven and then strive to maintain the loss for 4-6 weeks until I get my next burst of dieting energy/focus/drive. I am not talking about starvation dieting. I am on the 1200 calorie plan so I am looking at between 1000-1200 per day during the losing times and around 1500 when I am maintaining.

What are the pitfalls of this type of plan?
  • ilenelynne
    ilenelynne Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    this is a great thread - too much we hear - eat this - don't eat this. I am grateful to hear some very practical words.
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later! Thanks a million .....
  • fivesilentmiles
    fivesilentmiles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :) thank you!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi,

My Stats:

Age 40

I have an issue with will power that ebbs and flows - mainly hormonal driven is my suspicion. I have decided to push to lose 3-4 pounds when I am driven and then strive to maintain the loss for 4-6 weeks until I get my next burst of dieting energy/focus/drive. I am not talking about starvation dieting. I am on the 1200 calorie plan so I am looking at between 1000-1200 per day during the losing times and around 1500 when I am maintaining.

This looks like a great goal- it's specific, measurable, realistic, and on a timeline. Only you know yourself best and what you want to do to achieve your goals.

The only thing I would add is that if you're having willpower issues, would be to look at that. Do you need to plan in more foods for pleasure and not be so strict so you don't feel like that? Do you need to change your routine to deal with stress differently so you're stress eating? Just some considerations, but overall you have a realistic approach. Good luck.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My Stats:

Age 40

This looks like a great goal- it's specific, measurable, realistic, and on a timeline. Only you know yourself best and what you want to do to achieve your goals.

The only thing I would add is that if you're having willpower issues, would be to look at that. Do you need to plan in more foods for pleasure and not be so strict so you don't feel like that? Do you need to change your routine to deal with stress differently so you're stress eating? Just some considerations, but overall you have a realistic approach. Good luck.

Stress eating is most likely the culprit. And sometimes life gets hectic so dieting has to take a seat on the back burner.

What suggestions do you have for stress eating? Every month I have a week that is packed with deadlines and another that is packed with meetings. Both throw me off of my game....I 'treat' myself for pushing to meet the deadlines and as a group we follow the meetings with restaurant meals (these are team building outings, so it is not in my best interest careerwise to skip them).
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    in
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi,

My Stats:

Age 40

Stress eating is most likely the culprit. And sometimes life gets hectic so dieting has to take a seat on the back burner.

What suggestions do you have for stress eating? Every month I have a week that is packed with deadlines and another that is packed with meetings. Both throw me off of my game....I 'treat' myself for pushing to meet the deadlines and as a group we follow the meetings with restaurant meals (these are team building outings, so it is not in my best interest careerwise to skip them).

Well, if you know about how many calories you "Stress eat" you could plan for them later in the day and just cut out calories earlier in the day. Intermittent fasting (aka just skipping a meal or 2) can work for that.

Also, you can use the "yes, but first approach" - When you have an impulse to stress eat tell yourself "Yes, I will have that chocolate. But first I'm going to check my email" This way you can still have your indulgence but you put time inbetween the craving and the impulse. You put yourself back in control.

Try those 2 for starters.
  • ashika_1990
    Options
    Hi Toni,

Thanks for doing this!

My stats:
    Wt: 155
    Work/life style: sedentary
    Activity:
    cardio – 3 times a week; abs – 2-3 times a week; (for about 30 mins)
    walking – 3 miles a day

I’m a vegan and having been exercising for almost 6 months now. Despite working out and trying to eat comparatively healthier meals. I’ve been avoiding sweets and fried stuff (that I love).

I’ve been tracking my food intake for little over a week now and this seems to be my food intake pattern:
    Current food intake/day:
    Carbs: 140 gms; protein: 40-50 gms; fat: 40 gms; sugar: 35 gms

Looks like there are a lot of things I’m not doing right. Can you tell me where I’m going wrong? What can I do to lose those extra 40 pounds?

Thanks!
  • Mershon88
    Mershon88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello! Thx for this.

My stats:
    height: 5'2
    cw: 157
    work/lifestyle : sedentary during the week/ lightly active weekends
    cardio : treadmill anywhere from 1-3 hours per day (1hr increments 1,2, or 3x a day), 5-6 days per week. 100 pushups/crunches daily, occasionally toss in a JM vid or 2
    Recently up'd my calories a bit to try to get over a plateau issue I ran into, and it is not working. The past 3 months my scale has bounced from 156-160. Never more.. never less. I only have 20lbs to go to get to my goal (30 for the ultimate goal), and this stinkin standpoint is killin me. I have been tracking my calories and feel like I'm killing myself with cardio, and it just isn't doing anything. There has been no change in the measuring tape either. I looked through my food diary back to when I was heavier, eating fewer calories, doin less exercise, and losing more weight and it confuses me. I did notice that my last 3 months seem "routine" though compared to what it was. Food and exercise-wise.

Soooo... I was wondering. Is it possible that my body just got "bored" with my workout/eating routine? And any suggestions on what to do to change it up? My friend suggested a "quickie loss" diet to rattle things up a bit. (Basically, sounded like a liquid diet that a doc puts you on before surgery). Seemed kind of scary considering it was low cal, low fat... low everything, but she said it is only for 2 or 3 days... then go back to normal. Is this something that is safe to attempt? I just need to get out of this flunk, it's really bringing me down >.<