I want to start running, but...

Options
1235»

Replies

• Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Start with Couch to 5k :) I am currently training for my first half marathon and currently I run for 6 minutes straight/walk 2/run 6 until I get to my either time goal for the day or mileage goal
  • karibu143
    Options
    I agree with the whole Couch to 5K. It was a ton of fun to do and it really helped me get into running again. The other thing that really helped was a pair of CW-X compression tights. I noticed that my knees and ankles didn't hurt when I wore the tights. They're a little pricey but absolutely worth the purchase. Sometimes you can find them on Amazon.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 6 weeks ago, and I started Couch to 5k 3 weeks ago (tomorrow is the last run of week 3.) I can now run for minutes without dying, then I alternate to walking for a few minutes. I was always convinced I would NEVER be a runner, and now I'm working on it.

You can get audio files, apps, or plain old paper print outs of how to do it.

Congratulations on quitting smoking!!

* high five for quitting!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    ok, if the running room gave you grief or was snobby, I'd see if there's another running store near you. Fleet Feet, Elite runners and walkers, and any number of little independent running shoe stores are in your area - it depends how far you're willing to go. I even found a running shoe store for someone in the middle of Nowhere, PA (it helped that I also live and know people in that area), but a running shoe store experience should be AWESOME. It should never be uncomfortable, and you should never be put down. As a new runner, this is their opportunity to turn you into a regular customer by wooing you not only into running but into their store. If they screw up and can't see that, don't spend your money there. But do get a proper gait analysis and proper shoes. I'd see if there's a local running club, and see if someone there can't recommend a store (or a person at a store - often the sales person can make a world of difference).

That being said, you can do the first few weeks of a C25K in any pair of shoes, as long as they're not ancient or the wrong size, with relatively few issues. We're not talking ultra marathons or breaking land-speed records here. Just moving a little faster for a little farther than you're used to.

You can do this.

On C25K, though I've been distance running since I was 12, I've spent my fair share of weeks, months, maybe even up to a whole year "resting". I use C25K to come back, every time. Right now I'm recovering from a broken foot - though I'm still biking and swimming during recovery, to come back to running marathons, I'll be starting with a C25K. It's a great way of pacing yourself through the initial stages of seeing improvement every day, while giving you the time and focus to pay attention to the signals your body is telling you. "I need new/different shoes", "I need core work", "I need stretching", "I need more liquids", "I need more calories", "I need more protein", all these messages are easier for me to hear when I'm moving forward in a measured, graduated manner.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I can't vouch for C25K enough. If you don't have an Ipod or Android or Iphone or whatever then just scribble down the intervals before your run and use a watch.

And I agree that Running Room is full of dbags. For a more relaxed environment you can go to 'Running Free'. They should have 5-6 stores in the Toronto area. I don't think they have anything downtown though, closest would be DVP/404 area.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    @Mock_turtle - Thanks for the recommendation. The Running Room I visited was Queen E, and I swear everyone was looking at me sideways. I guess they're not used to newbies in there or something? ;) I love the Beaches, but the snobbery can be a little much. I'll check out the other one you mentioned, Running Free. Downtown isn't a problem for me - I'm in Scarborough anyway.

I'm so excited to start this! You guys and girls have all been amazingly supportive! Whoohoo! Now if this stupid snow would just bugger off....
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    We should really all get sponsored by Zen Labs at this point for pushing their app so hard...

I agree lmao
  • Terri_terri
    Terri_terri Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend the c25k app enough. Also, Zombies, Run! has a c25k training app too.

I love the Zombies run app. I use it to run too!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I also have tried to start running. I have a Running Room store here and they have running groups for all levels and abilities, even walkers. I was fitted for proper shoes because I have stupid feet, and I am in love with them. They werent cheap, but they make a huge difference. I also have asthma, and feel like a big ox when I run, but I dont care anymore. I just run.

I too recomment Couch 2 5K. I have only done it a couple times, but I enjoyed it.

Now I just jog for as long as I can, walk a few minutes, and go back to jogging!

Good luck! It seems like people who run, LOVE IT!!
  • smp0723
    smp0723 Posts: 88
    Options
    I just started C25K again-I started in late summer last year but didn't stick to it-I ran 2 or 3 times and then used the weather as an excuse not to continue.

My best recommendation to a new runner (that I assume is also overweight like I am) is to buy a good sports compression bra, compression shorts to wear under whatever you are going to run in, good running shoes as others have said but the best advice-put deoderant between your "cheeks"!!! I know it sounds funny but after my first run-I felt great! I jumped in the shower, the water hit and I almost died! LOL A friend that runs told me she took running classes and that an avid runner gave her that tip-put it wherever your skin will rub together.

Enjoy your journey! I've just started up again last week with my 8 year old son-we are doing a Color Run 5K in May so gotta get it done! Snow or no snow! :)
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    c25k. the secret trick is to SLOW DOWN! when i did my first 2 mile run I was getting so tired, so instead of stopping to walk i just slowed down a lot. once you get the distance down then you can work on speed. also don't forget to STRETCH! and wear good shoes and replace your shoes when needed.
    [/quote

Although I did not do c25k ,I am a runner,I agree with the slow down,you will find you can go farther......speed can come later..and YES stretch..good shoes and bra...take off
  • Super_Mama
    Super_Mama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree about the couch to 5k programs, they are perfect for people starting out. I also recommend going to a running shoe store and having one of their experts fit you for a pair of shoes. A good bra is key too. I have had a ton of issues with chafing and blisters as well. Body glide is great for that and powder in the socks helps too, especially when it is hot outside. Most importantly, I have found the success to running is to go at your pace.

I was given the advice when starting to run until I needed to walk and then walk until I could run again.

I am a terrible runner, no athletic grace or talent, slow pace, the whole nine, but I went from zero to running 18 miles last september before for personal reasons I had to back out of the marathon I had registered for.I am thinking about doing it again though.

Running is one of those great exercises that you can do with a friend or alone with some good tunes. AND it gets easier the more you do it! Once you pass through the initial aches from using new muscles, etc. I found myself needing to do it, and the races are fun.

I wish you the best, dont ever be afraid to try something new, you never know what you will enjoy until you give it a try! Good Luck!