I need opinions on strength training

Options
I HATE going around lifting weights in the gym because honestly I'm fat right now and sitting there scrunching my fat up is pretty embarrassing. I do a lot of cardio, and feel as though I need to add some sort of weight lifting/strength training. I have two Jillian Michaels dvds, 30 Day Shred and Shred it With Weights. Do you guys think Shred it With Weights would be a good alternative to weight lifting for now? I plan to switch to weight lifting once I'm a little less embarrassed in the gym, but for now I just wanna get my cardio done and get out there. So, I need suggestions/advice, please! Thank you!

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Forgive my frank manner, but here we go.
    Do you guys think Shred it With Weights would be a good alternative to weight lifting for now?

No.
    I plan to switch to weight lifting once I'm a little less embarrassed in the gym, but for now I just wanna get my cardio done and get out there. So, I need suggestions/advice, please! Thank you!

Get over your fear. No one else actually cares.

Go to the squat rack and do your squats. You'll never get over the fear unless you do it, no matter how much weight you lose.

Or work out at home.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    I think any program is good if you do it...however...

You have every right to be in the gym. You have every right to claim your space in this world and do what you need to do for YOU. So my real advice (and a little tough love) would be to suck it up, Buttercup...hold your pretty head up high, march into your gym, and get your lift on... Don't let ANYONE stop you from becoming the woman you want to be. :flowerforyou:
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Go to the squat rack and do your squats. You'll never get over the fear unless you do it, no matter how much weight you lose.

Or work out at home.
  • sarahann513
    sarahann513 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Forgive my frank manner, but here we go.
    Do you guys think Shred it With Weights would be a good alternative to weight lifting for now?

No.
    I plan to switch to weight lifting once I'm a little less embarrassed in the gym, but for now I just wanna get my cardio done and get out there. So, I need suggestions/advice, please! Thank you!

Or work out at home.

Thanks! .......anyone else? :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I HATE going around lifting weights in the gym because honestly I'm fat right now and sitting there scrunching my fat up is pretty embarrassing.

So don't sit.

I do big compound moves and don't sit for a single one. Squat, bench, row, shoulder press, dead-lift.

And yeah, you've just got to try to not care about what other people think. I don't see how doing cardio is any less "embarrassing" than doing weights.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Like another poster said, of course the JM dvd's are better than nothing. But why bust your backside doing things like that when you could be getting far far better results lifting weights, which you say you want to anyway.

You might get some girls look at you like you are crazy (while they do 100 reps with their pink plastic weights), but most who actually know about what lifting can do, will look at you with respect. You don't have to have a great body to lift weight, lifting weights with calorie controlled diet is what will get you there. Stuff what everyone else thinks girl, you go and get them! You know it makes sense :)
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sometime more cardio is not the answer. Weight lifting has changed my body, from flabby to much firmer.
    I've only done shred once (so I'm no expert) but the weight she has you doing is not really weight lifting, too light.
    I've never seen shred it with weights so I have no opinion, but if the weights are challenging to you then Yes do them.
    It's the difference between smaller arms with lots of skin vs small arms that are rounded and firm.
    Elephant butt or awesome butt. I still do cardio so I can eat more without guilt but lifting has changed my mindset forever.
    I go to a city owned gym, it's mostly old people, students and people who can't afford a Goodlife membership.
    Sometimes I feel funny lifting in front of others, especially when I am lifting a small amount.
    Who cares though, I almost have abs, my bum got way smaller very fast and rounder as well!
    I do compound exercises (google it) so I can spend the least amount of time at the gym.
    I go 2 times per week, sometimes 3 for about 40 min + 5 min warm up on the elliptical.
  • sarahann513
    sarahann513 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

You have every right to be in the gym. You have every right to claim your space in this world and do what you need to do for YOU. So my real advice (and a little tough love) would be to suck it up, Buttercup...hold your pretty head up high, march into your gym, and get your lift on... Don't let ANYONE stop you from becoming the woman you want to be. :flowerforyou:

I know I have every right to be there, and that no one cares, but it still doesn't change how I feel unfortunately.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I know I have every right to be there, and that no one cares, but it still doesn't change how I feel unfortunately.

I'm going to be completely honest here:

With that attitude, you're never going to get to where you want to be.

Walk up to the barbell, do your workout, and be awesome. Or else you'll never look awesome.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Trust me you will get over this quickly.
    I bring a list of exercises (cause I'll forget) and sometimes pictures of how to do them, like deadlifting.
    I have noticed that the reason people watch each other sometimes is because form is important and you learn from watching others.
    I think you will notice results much quickly and with less time than cardio and then all that worry will go away.

Good luck and remember you have nothing to lose except bodyfat :-)
    Unless you live in a tiny town you won't see these people outside of the gym.
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I say just get in the weight room, and screw what everyone else thinks. And honestly, no one really judges anyone as much as we do in our own heads.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What about body weight stuff at home?

Any program will work, you just have to sufficiently stress your body to force it to change/adapt. There are lots of ways to accomplish that.
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Invest in some weight lifting equipment and lift at home?
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Not all gyms are created equal. The typical factory gym can be intimidating, but there are all sorts of gyms. I used to go to a gym that was exclusively based on classes and no machines. Every exercise in every class had multiple levels and you were always told to do the easiest level when you started. Everyone was really supportive and checked your form to make sure you weren't going to injure yourself. Some people couldn't do most exercises and would just walk around. This was actually encouraged -- do what you can.

If you are uncomfortable at the gym you have tried, try another one. Maybe you'll find one where you feel welcome and where you really enjoy the experience.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options

What you feel matters not--only what you DO.

Feel the fear and do it anyway. I say this to you as an ex-fat girl who was uncomfortable in the gym...but I did it anyway. . And you can too.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am doing Stronglifts at home. Always second hand equipment for sale if you look hard enough. I've only been doing it for 8 weeks, but if I had to, I would go to the gym now and not be embarrassed. Even if you just start off at home, make a start - now. Once you get going you will love it and NOTHING would get in your way.

Go to the gym or get equipment and do it at home, but DO IT.

You certainly will not regret it.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • tonitass
    tonitass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Like another poster said, of course the JM dvd's are better than nothing. But why bust your backside doing things like that when you could be getting far far better results lifting weights, which you say you want to anyway.

You might get some girls look at you like you are crazy (while they do 100 reps with their pink plastic weights), but most who actually know about what lifting can do, will look at you with respect. You don't have to have a great body to lift weight, lifting weights with calorie controlled diet is what will get you there. Stuff what everyone else thinks girl, you go and get them! You know it makes sense :)

I'm in total agreement. I currently weigh over 300 pounds but 60 days ago I got myself a personal trainer and now I am in the gym 5 times a week. Losing on average 2 to 2.5 pounds a week. I thought I would hate it too, but I really love it. I do get some looks, but I don't really care about that. I read on Bodybuilding.com, and I choose to believe that if people are looking at me in the gym it's out of respect for what I am doing. And anyone that doesn't respect me is a donkey hole anyway.

Don't let your fears or insecurities get in your way. Life is too short and you are worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Other poster have given you the right advice. Personally, when I see a fat person in the weight room and lifting with all their might, I'm impressed and I respect them. Most everyone will feel this way. There might be a couple meatheads but don't worry about them.

Continue with your cardio (which is what Jillian DVDs are) but add weight lifting 3 times per week.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    It takes time to get over the uncomfortable feeling in the gym, so you can either just do it until you do feel comfortable, shouldn't take too long, maybe a few weeks, or you can buy stuff for at home. You can go far with some adjustable dumbbells and your own body weight. :smile:
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am huge, my t shirt rides up sometimes, my wobbly apron goes everywhere, bingo wings flap away and all the squishy bits in between turn into a ball sometimes but i still go to the gym and lift weights. No one should judge you because everyone starts somewhere! If you are really uncomfortable maybe ask when the quietest time is.xx