Is anyone terrified of falling off the treadmill??

Options

Replies

• melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified of falling off the treadmill every time I am on it and anyone else is at my house because the moment someone puts on the dishwasher, microwave, washer, dryer, vacuum, or any other energy loving appliance it causes the electricity to kind of brown out momentarily and every time this makes the treadmill actually stutter from the dip in power. I have almost flown off on several occassions. Trust your instincts - they're better at keeping you on the belt than you give them credit for! :happy:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'm not terrified of falling off however if I'm walking and I turn my head to look at something I tend to veer off in that direction (and this is not just on the TM :blushing: ). There have been plenty of times where I have been running on the TM at a good clip, turned my head to look at something and had a spazz attack as I frantically grabbed for the hand rails before my foot went off the conveyer belt and I fell on my face. I'm sure I looked pretty funny to the people at the gym: panicked look; arms flailing. :blushing:

Needless to say I try not to look around when I'm on the TM.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I almost fell just this week. I caught myself. I was doing walking/jogging intervals and stepped a little too far to the side and my foot caught. I caught myself and stopped the machine, I had a big red mark on my arm. I started attaching the safety clip to automatically stop the machine if I do that again.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I used to. I fI put it on a 1-2 incline, it helps a TON.

Last night was horrible. My knee and hip were a bit achy ( I think from cold weather change) and I couldn't walk straight for anything. My steps were inches off from the previous ones. It's strange considering I have good balance most of the time but I have NEVER been able to walk straight.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Im going to help you overcome your fear. Look how this guy just gets back up.

CZ9ySJ3.gif

When I saw this, I thought to myself, "Please let there be a gif, please let there be a gif." Thank you!:drinker:

And OP, I haven't fallen off of a treadmill because I haven't used them very much. I'm not what you would call "graceful" and would worry about falling and/or sliding off.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've seen people fall off and the only major injury was to their pride. Otherwise, you can hold on to the rails until you get comfortable. It won't negate your calorie burn unless you start leaning on them to support your weight rather than letting your legs do the work.
  • sslichenmyer
    sslichenmyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i was running on the treadmill and closed my eyes i was thrown of into a concrete wall i was ok and not hurt BUT ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU WEAR THE EMERGENCY SAFETY STOP!! im serious!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    My TM has a clip I can attach to my t-shirt so if I fall off it stops. I love that.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    funny.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have horrible balance due to inner ear infections as a kid and when I'm on the treadmill I continually end up on one side or the other, often hitting the sides and on occasion, when running I"ll hit the front bar, ahead of the belt , itself. Its a real sight to see. When I was shopping for a treadmill I was standing on one at Sears & hit a button which turned out to be the on button & flew off the back & landed on my butt in front of a bunch of people. All you can do at that point is get up, take a bow & walk away with your head in the air. :flowerforyou:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have only become concerned with it recently because I had one of my balance nerves removed last year. I haven't tried to run on a treadmill since. But then again I don't really have access to one. So, ya...
  • dacadoo
    dacadoo Posts: 32
    Options
    Yep me too! I hold the rails but I do try to let go here and there and I dont last long. I had the same thing on the eliptical at first felt like my feet were on the loose, but I had a trainer tell me to set the resistance a little higher and that helped. Glad we are in the same boat :tongue:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    once it happens a couple times you realize it's not so bad. I always keep it clear behind mine because it happens every few months or so. sometimes I just forget what I'm doing I guess, and occasionally a pet complicates things.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    i have seen a girl stumble and fall right off a treadmill before. she was a trainer too. it happens to the best of us, it had to have been quite an embarrasing moment for her but at least she did not get hurt. The worst part was we were on the 2nd floor and the entire floor felt like it shook. eeeeek.
    i jog on treadmills regularly and have just made sure i've always kept my feet up!!
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I fear it too! Not so much if I'm walking, but when I'm running I do. I feel the need to hold on...
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Mine has a safety line I can attach to me that will pull out of the machine if I fall and do a quick stop. I don't use it though because I am not afraid of falling off.

mine has this too. After I found out that by the time it comes undone you are pretty much already down and it cannot stop the belt in time to prevent being shot off the back, I never used it again. It's kind of a too little too late feature.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes. For the longest time I would hold onto the handrails, even when jogging. I'm sure I looked silly that way, but I didn't care. Better than flying off the darn thing.

I've FINALLY gotten comfortable enough not to hold on.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    lol. yeeeeeeeeeeeeep
  • AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Nope!
    I have that same fear......
    Its one of the reasons I always hold on to the rails and stuff! :blushing:

I never walk straight. I tend to veer to the right, then to the left.... its kinda funny. When I am walking next to someone, I am always bumping into them.
    So when I walk on the treadmill I have to actually focus on walking straight and I get this fear that I'm going to start veering off to the side and accidently put my foot on the machine and not on the moving tread and then fall very awkwardly. :laugh:
    So I hold on to the rails so that if I lose focus, I'm still "safe".... :ohwell:

Haha this is exactly my case as well! No way am I letting go of the machine. I would crash into the wall or some poor person lol. I have to work at it a little at a time but running on a treadmill really feels unnatural for me. :happy:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    i was running on the treadmill and closed my eyes i was thrown of into a concrete wall i was ok and not hurt BUT ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU WEAR THE EMERGENCY SAFETY STOP!! im serious!

No chance am I putting that thing on....