Please post your MOST IMPORTANT weight loss tip :)

Options

Replies

• Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Don't diet. Don't start something unless you can maintain it indefinitely.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Before going out to eat at a restaurant, look up their menu and decide ahead of time what you'll eat. You will be surprised at the calorie counts!
    One night after a tough day I just wanted to eat every unhealthy food in the house. My son told me to go get 15 lb weights, (the amount of weight I had lost), and see how far I had come. Did I really want to blow that? I followed his advice and I set 15 lbs of weights in my family room so I would be reminded of how far I'd come. I didn't binge and now have 20 lbs sitting their to remind me.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Before going out to eat at a restaurant, look up their menu and decide ahead of time what you'll eat. You will be surprised at the calorie counts!
    One night after a tough day I just wanted to eat every unhealthy food in the house. My son told me to go get 15 lb weights, (the amount of weight I had lost), and see how far I had come. Did I really want to blow that? I followed his advice and I set 15 lbs of weights in my family room so I would be reminded of how far I'd come. I didn't binge and now have 20 lbs sitting their to remind me.

I like this. Perhaps even take it a step further. If you feel like you are going to quit, put the weight you have lost so far in a backpack, and take it for a walk/run (whatever's your poison). I know if I tried running a 5k with a 45lb pack on my back it would probably put me straight back on the straight and narrow :laugh:
  • LaurieMoo
    LaurieMoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When invited to go out for dinner, research the menu before going and choose what you would like to eat before going out. Also, order first so you are not influenced by what others are ordering. (got this tip from Dr. Oz and love it!)
  • CoffeeLaceAddict157
    Options
    Count calories and drink lots of water (:
  • samfuturefit
    Options
    Don't starve yourself or give yourself unrealistic goals that you can't follow through with for life! There's no point in being thin if you "binge" all the time because you're hungry :)

Stay healthy and keep a PLAN for yourself, have others hold you accountable!
  • samfuturefit
    Options
    Such a great one!
    When invited to go out for dinner, research the menu before going and choose what you would like to eat before going out. Also, order first so you are not influenced by what others are ordering. (got this tip from Dr. Oz and love it!)
  • Sorashi
    Sorashi Posts: 41
    Options
    Don't use the elevator and go to places on foot.
  • Chocoholic55555
    Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Faddy diets don't work. No one could live on cabbage soup alone forever. Make lifestyle changes that you can maintain instead, that way you won't pile the weight back on when you reach your goal weight.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Absolutely logging your food and exercise and water intake in every day.. Every morsel.. It makes you so aware & keeps you honest!
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    One (unplanned) bad food decision doesn't mean you should scrap the rest of the day and start again tomorrow... there will always be a tomorrow to wait for. Start again now. Make good decisions the rest of the day instead of snacking and eating junk- don't set yourself back more than you have to.

Also- be truthful with yourself, if you have a double portion of something, log it as such rather than just saying "oh it was close enough to one serving." The only person you're trying to deceive is yourself- but you already know the truth- so why?

This one is excellent! I have found that logging everything- even if I eat a bunch of junk- helps me not to scrap any part of any day. By logging what I ate, I am taking responsibility for those extra calories and more often than not, I'm seeing it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was and there's no reason not to continue on as scheduled.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Shop the outside aisles (if that's the only thing I can tell them, at least I know they are bringing clean foods into their house)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Hydration, hydration, hydration. Such an important aspect that is so easily overlooked, because our bodies tend to compensate so easily for mild dehydration, even when it's chronic. Once that's in balance, a lot of other systems in the body balance out as well.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed "diet" foods and eat REAL food!
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon,not a sprint.So take your time.Losing the weight slowly and correctly makes it more sustainable :)
  • fjsutton
    fjsutton Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    weight loss occurs in the kitchen, fitness in the gym

i Like this... I concurr!!:happy:
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There are lots of specifics that have worked for me, but I think a general mindset is most important. Incorporate healthy eating and exercising into your busy life so that you can maintain what you do and can be happy (or at least not more unhappy ;). If you paddle upstream, sooner or later your arms will tire and you'll end up where you started or worse. Better to go with the flow by making positive healthy choices than just denying yourself. As much as you liked some unhealthy habits, they aren't worth dying for.
  • xdoublerainbow
    xdoublerainbow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Moderation and planning!

If you know something important is coming up, like Easter for example then take the time to plan for it. You can eat everything in moderation, one holiday isn't going to wreck your diet or make you put on a tonne of weight (:
  • MarcPower
    MarcPower Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    To lose and maintain weight loss in the long term, you have to look at your relationship with food. Build a healthier relationship with food and you'll make better decisions.
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    IF U BITE IT, WRITE IT.......BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOUR FOOD DIARY, AND UR EXERCISE.....RESEARCH FOODS......