Will I ever be able to run 5k?!?

Options
13»

Replies

• michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When I first began running it was so hard. I gradually worked myself up until I could run the entire length of our local greenway. That's 5 miles. I didn't expect to be so proud of myself once I finally did it, but I was. I collapsed on my front porch after having run that distance and I genuinely felt I was capable of anything after having done that. That moment was only last May. Now I'm preparing for my first half marathon and don't have the slightest concern about rather I'll finish or not. I know without a doubt that not only will I finish it but I'll finish in good time. Have you tried listening to music while you run? Bonnie Prince's "worlds greatest" is a very motivating song and when I feel I can't go any further I put that song on and I get myself to run a little further and a little faster. Good luck! You can do it.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I completed the program in 8 weeks last year weighing just under what you weigh- so my answer is YES :)
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    The first time I did it, I thought I was going to DIE on W1D1. I had to repeat wk1 3 times, week 2 2x, and week 6 3x. But on my one-year anniversary of joining MFP, I ran a 10K. The whole thing. No walking. Yep, I ran a 10K in just over an hour, average pace.

You WILL do it if you keep working. Don't be embarrassed for having to repeat a week, or a day. I took a 2 year break and got lazy with my workouts, so I'm now on W6D2. I had to repeat W5D1, but I ran four days that week and finished the week on schedule.

Oh, and today, when I did W6D2, I walked two miles before I even started the program, and then walked two miles after it was finished, for a total of 6.5 miles. My rear and thighs are a little sore, but it feels sooooo good, cause I know that means progress!!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If your shins are hurting, stop. Go to a specialty running store and make sure you have the right shoes on. Get a gait analysis and make sure you're not running wonky. I had wicked bad shin splints every time I tried to do C25k, to the point where it was completely debilitating. My husband had to piggy back me up and down the stairs of the apartment. Now I have shoes that are amazing and perfect for me, and I feel like I can run (trot? waddle?) forever. I also wear compression socks and they've been a big help for my shins. The guys/gals at a specialty running shop can also give you some pointers for recovery. Find yourself a good sports bra too while you're at it! I, sadly, don't have that problem :)

You CAN do it, but it'll take time! You may not be the fastest or have the prettiest form and you may feel like you're going to keel over and die, but you can absolutely do it.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Of course you will and it will happen faster than you think if you just stay consistent.

I just started running in January. Only a mile at at time 4 days a week and never ran the full mile. I pushed myself a little harder and a little further every week. I ignored the ached and pains, yes my knees hurt, my toes hurt, my heel hurt, but it was all a part of my body getting used to running. I now can do 5k like no ones business and I'm working on getting 10k in under an hour. It had only been 2 months.

Just keep at it and push through!!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    1. NOBODY ever looks great running. Trust me, even now I look like a freak & I thought I looked fine lol.
    2. Yes you can run 5km, hell you can run 10km... if I can...trust me anyone can. Takes time, but you have to be determined.

On another note, I am not sure C25k actually works properly for anyone. I just started off by walking 3km, then decided one day that I'd run it instead. I'd never run in my like.... I made it to 5km instead, next week I decided that I should beat that by at least 1km, I ran till I hit 8km. Next week I thought hell I can make it to 9km easy...at least. I had to force myself to stop at 11km....force myself to stop or I'd have kept going & I was already pressed for time.

None of this walk for so long, then run for 90 seconds, then walk stuff. Your body will let you know if you can do it or not, and you actually push through that getting puffed out part at the start & fall into a natural motion that includes breathing. Don't listen to the voice in your head..... it's always going to try to stop you. Mine says, "your only going to get to 3km at this rate, then at 5km it goes ok so run till you hit the end of the block" I keep going despite that.... I don't let it win. Running is a great time to think about everything else, don't even think about the running part at all, tell your body you are only just doing this fast walk.

As for the shin splints, yeah I had it bad on my left leg.... I kept running despite being told not to even walk. I ran mine out. It can be done, painful as hell... but can be done.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a story about a 400 pound person who completed a marathon!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/21/kelly-gneiting-heaviest-man-marathon_n_838599.html

Keep working hard and you can complete a 5k (or any distance you desire). There is nothing wrong with repeating weeks as many times as needed. Congratulations on your hard work and staying motivated. You can do it!

Thanks for making me cry. What an inspiration.
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    I started running in December I am currently 220 and run 3-5 miles 3 or 4 times a week. I will say that C25K did NOT work for me. I started and quit at week 4 multiple times in the past. In December I started Zombies Run! 5K Training and that was what gave me the running bug. The training, plan, storyline, etc. all clicked with me. I am running a 5K race on Sunday. So yes you CAN do this!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm 207 as of this morning and am on week 5 of C25K (I repeated a few weeks several times, but it doesn't matter because as long as you keep doing it, you keep improving). I was the kind of person who would start huffing after 10 seconds of running. I'm doing Color Me Radd 5K in a couple months, and possibly the Spartan Race this summer.

If I can do it, so can you.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I started C25K back in October of last year at around 270lbs. Initially it was hell - everything hurt, my breathing, my feet, my shins, just EVERYTHING. I went and got new shoes which helped a lot (proper fitting makes all the difference in the world) and slowly progressed. I can now jog (I'm still not fast but am working on it) for an hour and am waiting for winter (I live in the tropics) when the running season starts to complete my first 5k run. Can't wait!

Read this thread. It was one of the things that helped me when I doubted myself :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/723493-hey-fat-girl?hl=hey+fat+girl
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Awesome responses guys. I feel really inspired to stick to it and I'm definitely going to check out the Zombies Run! app and I"m going to go back and read those 2 links PPs poted.

I didn't mean to post and disappear but my 4 year old decided he wanted to get 4 stitches after falling off a dinner chair and we w-a-i-t-e-d so long at the hospital :(( Not a good start to my weekend, but he was a trooper!

Anyways, I think I'm going to register for the 5K... so scratch that I DEFINITELY will! Thanks so much everyone <3
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it. I bet you can walk 3 miles today. So the question is not whether or not you can finish the race but how fast your going to do it. So follow the c25k program. My money would be on you getting a sub 35 minute time or better. I'm just throwing that out there. Any time you get is your time and once you set a time it's unbelievable motivation to beat it the next time.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I did it!! I registered for the race. I'm confident that I will finish it. I can walk 5k NO PROBLEM so I will at the very least have a time to beat.... exciting!!!

I'm going to take all the advice about being fitted for shoes properly since I just bought the 40.00 clearance special in the Reebok store, I'm pretty sure I picked based on price and colour (rookie mistake I guess LOL) Will get on the shoe thing, to give my shins some relief!!!
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The only thing I wanted to add (other than that yes, you CAN do it -- and congrats on signing up for your first race!) is that when I first started, I got shin splints when I ran too fast. Still do, even as I've slowly gotten faster over time. So besides getting some good shoes, keep in mind that you can and should go as slow as you need to. Speed comes with endurance, so just concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other! Good luck!!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lots of different advice on here and all of it is good. Do what works for you and listen too your body. Push yourself but not to the point of breaking.

I started out with a lot of walking and biking before I could run. When I tried c25k I injured myself badly with stress fractures in both tibia. I did more biking and walking. In six months I had quit smoking, lost 70 lbs and ran a half marathon. Can you do it is not the question. The question is DO YOU WANT TO?
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started C25K back in October of last year at around 270lbs. Initially it was hell - everything hurt, my breathing, my feet, my shins, just EVERYTHING. I went and got new shoes which helped a lot (proper fitting makes all the difference in the world) and slowly progressed. I can now jog (I'm still not fast but am working on it) for an hour and am waiting for winter (I live in the tropics) when the running season starts to complete my first 5k run. Can't wait!

Read this thread. It was one of the things that helped me when I doubted myself :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/723493-hey-fat-girl?hl=hey+fat+girl

Thank you for posting this. I think i will have to bookmark this for those days when i want to quit. I have to admit it made me tear up.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I am pretty heavy compared to the typical runner at 218lbs but nevertheless, I've started a C25K program and I'm going to work through the weeks at my own pace. I usually run (I use that term very loosely) every other day and am repeating week 1... yup... week ONE lol My interior dialogue goes something like this: Just make it to that poll, hold your boobs down, did that ***** say walk yet?! It's pretty demoralizing sometimes LOL

My shins often hurt and I'm not the most graceful thing you've ever seen but I AM determined, so I have that going for me. I guess I just want to hear from other folks who were over 200# and have had success. Would it be reasonable to register for a race mid July? I'm pretty nervous as that doesn't seem like a lot of time, but I would like to have a goal!

Ok, so at 250# my best 5k time is 32 minutes. While not a competitive time, I think it's pretty damn good. Compared to my first 5k, which was 62 minutes thanks to a massive case of shin splints.

Shin splints happen, and they're a b. Only one way to fight them.
    Run through it. It's a matter of conditioning, so run a bit, stop. Recover. Run more, stop.
    It could take a few weeks of running a half mile to 1.5 miles per day. The big thing is really to run but not overtax yourself. So these days, I'm out of running "shape," and I can rock a couple miles right now. I just don't push faster than I can really handle, and if my shins start hurting. Eff em. I keep going.

Another thing that helped me was to divorce myself from those brooks foot coffins. I was all about running and hurting through runs in the brooks beasts. I switched to vibram five fingers, and that took care of most of the shin splints.

/ramble

So just uh... go run, and invest in pain killers.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Agreed you need to get properly fitted for running shoes- like at a Fleet Feet or other specialty running shop, not the big box sports store.
    I started a run/walk program called No Boundaries through Fleet Feet in January. I was 210 at the time. I now weigh 189. I have a pretty slow pace (15 min for a 1 min run/30 sec walk interval) but I figured a slower pace is better than no pace! -and I ran/walked my first 5K last Saturday! I will be doing another 5K next weekend & also starting the No Boundaries program again next week- but the run program this time!
    These past 11 weeks, every time we changed intervals (so less walking, more running) or the distance increased, I was skeptical I could do it- but did, every time!
    Don't get discouraged & you can do it- even if you need to add a little walking. If you have a Fleet Feet near you, you may want to check into their program. The coaches & mentors (people who have gone through the program themselves) are so positive and encouraging!

Register for your race- it will give you a goal to work towards, then just keep at it.