Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Options

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    So my work sleep schedule is get up at noon, eat a small meal, work out, eat a normal meal at 3 p.m., and work until 2:30 a.m. During the time I work, I do not get breaks, am actively moving the whole time, and cannot eat meals in front of the public. So, I go from 3:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. usually on a protein bar. Let me reiterate that this is not my choice and I don't get meal breaks. So, should I not eat from 3:30 p.m. one day til noon the next day? Also, then I would need to consume about 1700 calories in within a 3 hour period. I simply have to eat before bed or I am intermittent fasting and then when I do eat, I'm having a binge.

If it's so bad for you, what do you suggest given what I've described?

Yeah, working late into the night can be a problem from a number of health points. There's a lot of medical research being done on the health challenges faced by nighttime workers. In your case, you might want to eat a bigger meal after you get up at noon and then delay working out for an hour (to give your stomach time to digest your food) before eating a similar-sized meal at 3 p.m. Can you eat a light snack and go to bed directly after you get off work? A lot of nighttime workers swear by taking melatonin before leaving work (you just dissolve a tablet or two under the tongue) and then they are sleepy by the time they get home. Is there any way you can eat more while working? It doesn't seem right that you cannot eat at all during work time--do you have a union?

Sounds like my schedule (bartending/managing a bar). No there is no union (at least not in most states) at about half of my jobs, I've never even gotten an hourly wage (only tips, though they still average enough, usually, to not worry about the $2/hr I would have been making).

I got in the habit of eating a large meal before work, and then eating a breakfast taco on the way home (usually at about 330am-4am by the time I actually eat) then I wake up, work out fasted and eat again before work. It isn't ideal but it still allows for about 12+ hours fasted (which is what produces the benefits you were talking about wrt hormones etc...).

One last thing to add, I currently have a later start time at work and practice intermittent fasting so I have been stopping eating shortly before bed on nights I don't work and fasting for 18 hours or so (up to 24 hours some days). During this time, growth hormones have been shown to continue increasing (through several studies) so why does it matter what time I quit eating or go to sleep? I spend more time producing those hormones than the average person anyway.

Thanks for your feedback. Hmm, you guessed my job, too. :) Guess I'm not the only one with this problem.

Takes one to know one :wink: I just recognize the schedule and demands of the job.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Here is a summary about the reality of night time eating from a bodybuilder with a PHd in Nutritional sciences.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman/

lolz - just noticed that the earlier article I posted was actually posted on the first page...derp.

Here is a review of the anabolic effects of GH from the British Journal of Sports Medicine for people concerned about GH being suppressed by eating at night.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/37/2/100.full
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I freaking love this thread :laugh:
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lets begin.. Once upon a time in a no counting calorie kingdom... bump for reading later lol!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    idl bout u but if i eat late and sleep immediatel
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Personally I am way more concerned with the lack of QUALITY in Bob's choice of food than the quantity or the timing.

If Bob had eaten well during the day, with a diet of lean proteins, fresh fruit and non starchy vegetables, good fats and lots of water, he would not have any room in his stomach or desire to be eating 1200 calories of ice cream. And if he's eating that while watching the Biggest Loser, he might just need to look at his goals and reevaluate his plan.

Our bodies call for Essential Fatty Acids and Essential Amino Acids. There are no such thing as Essential Carbs.

If Bob has an emotional need for ice cream, he should be making his own version with a better focus on quality of calories.

Eating before bed doesn't make you fat. WHAT you eat does.
    :noway:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I ate 1989 cals between 9pm and 12am. Let's see How fat I am tomorrow!
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    if im hungry, i will eat. ive lost 55 lbs so far and i eat any time of day!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i eat only at night. im not fat...........
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I ate 1989 cals between 9pm and 12am. Let's see How fat I am tomorrow!

mee toooo
  • fitter52
    fitter52 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is what I understand from an exercise physiologist. If you eat the calories just before you use them, you can access the energy quicker than stored fat. It helps increase your metabolism which helps you burn more calories. So it was recommended that I eat a small breakfast, large lunch, medium dinner, and only 300-400 calories in the evening (because you can burn that overnight). If you have a goal of increased metabolism, you can keep that in mind. If you just want to consume less calories than your TDEE, it wouldn't matter.

So I figured, I'm going to eat some carbs during the day, I might as well eat them before exercise (about an hour ahead of time). Then you don't crash and can work harder for a longer time. That's the opposite of what I used to do. Still a work in progress.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

:noway:

I will add a :frown: to your :noway:
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    I think Bob's the winner here, he got to eat ice cream and go to bed with his mind at ease- and here we are staying up late worrying about the merit of Bob's choices.
    :laugh:
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just did this. But here goes. To spell it out:

Consider this spreadsheet. It represents some fictional person who has a TDEE of 2120

The hour column represents the 24 hours in a day.

Hours 17 thru 24 are sleep, so he's burning only 65 cals per hour that hour. The rest of the hours he burns 100 cals per hour.

He has 3 meals over the course of the day for 500, 300, and 750 calories respectively/

You can see that over the course of the day, he at some points reaches a surplus, and at some points reaches a deficit.

DMjxo6x.png

On balance, he achieves a deficit of 570 calories for this day

I invite you to create a spreadsheet of your own and divvy up the meals however you like.

If you still don't get it after this overcomplicated explanation, then I'm sorry.

Edit: er, actually, the way I laid it out, he's in a deficit all day. But you get the point? No? Probably not? I don't care.

I read every single post, just to get to the end so I could say THIS was the best-est one EVER! There were some pretty funny runners-up though! :D
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Because I just ate a drumstick at 11pm. See ticker if you need more info.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    While eating before bed may not necessarily make you fat (I haven't just now, so I won't know for sure until later), it invites your health to an uphill battle for various reasons, some of which have already been posted to this thread. I for one, more often than not, would wake up in the middle of the night when having eaten before bed. After all, who wants a brick smack in one's belly, not to mention then? My habit of not eating for as many as four hours before bed comes from the stomach's tranquil feel of lightness at bedtime and that the body will burn fat throughout the entire night's sleep. The underlying mechanism is that you can't absorb food and burn fat at the same time. There's the absorption phase which takes place after a meal and for the next about four hours, and there's the post-absorption phase when the body starts to use stored nutrients. I would imagine the other twelve hour half of a twenty-four hour period lends itself far less easily to such uninterrupted fasting. So to those of you joining us this morning, dig in!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    While eating before bed may not necessarily make you fat (I haven't just now, so I won't know for sure until later), it invites your health to an uphill battle for various reasons, some of which have already been posted to this thread. I for one, more often than not, would wake up in the middle of the night when having eaten before bed. After all, who wants a brick smack in one's belly, not to mention then? My habit of not eating for as many as four hours before bed comes from the stomach's tranquil feel of lightness at bedtime and that the body will burn fat throughout the entire night's sleep. The underlying mechanism is that you can't absorb food and burn fat at the same time. There's the absorption phase which takes place after a meal and for the next about four hours, and there's the post-absorption phase when the body starts to use stored nutrients. I would imagine the other twelve hour half of a twenty-four hour period lends itself far less easily to such uninterrupted fasting. So to those of you joining us this morning, dig in!

There is no on/off switch to absorption or nutrient utilization.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    This is all as relevant as the fact that Bob would weigh more after drinking a glass of water.

The pseudoscience has been impressive though.
  • chantey16
    chantey16 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    well i ALWAYS eat late at night and have lose 40 pounds in 3 months with no problem! i eat my dinner around 9pm...have a snack at about 1am and then go to bed. and2 days of the week i work til 12am so i eat when i get home then go straight to bed! never affected me in the slightest - i actually lose a few pounds the next morning after work on most occasions.

your body does not work the way it should mathematically. whatever you are burning through the day still counts, you don't literally have to burn off every calorie you've eaten AFTER youve eaten it, you can burn it off at any time
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Aside from some bio-chemical/medical issues, it really doesn't make much difference when you eat your calories. However, it probably isn't a good idea to eat a heavy meal before retiring because it is likely to contribute to reflux esophagitis (which many obese folks suffer). In addition, there is the problem of insulin spike (following a blood sugar surge from a heavy meal) suppressing human growth hormone (which is mainly secreted in the first couple of hours of sleep). Adequate levels of growth hormone are desirable for weight loss and other health points. Exercise does stimulate the secretion of growth hormone slightly, but it is unlikely to make up for the loss of nighttime secretion due to high caloric intake before bed.

Ghrelin (please, no gremlin pix) is a potent stimulator of growth hormone and ghrelin is high when we are hungry. So going to bed a little hungry is not a bad idea from a bio-chemical standpoint. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is also a potent stimulator of growth hormone--as opposed to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) which suppresses it. Since many, many obese folk have high blood sugar issues anyway, it is unwise for them to eat large meals before bed.

I know there will be people here who will say, "I have lost 114 pounds and I have always eaten nearly all my calories after 7.p.m." While that may be true, their bodies would have probably prospered a bit more by eating lightly in the evening (if at all).

Broscience without logic. Thank you!

There! Fixed it for you. Your welcome! :drinker:

Just exactly what part are you disputing, mamapags?

Your spelling of my user name is about as accurate as you apply science. Some of the right info, some added in and mostly out of order and confused.