Do you re-rack your weights or are you a douche?!!??

Options

Replies

• thergj
    thergj Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    <
    always re-racks... but sometimes forgets to wipe the equipment when done. :-(
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I always re-rack my weights...plus the weights that the douche before me left there
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I never leave a plate on the bar. And, my YMCA is used by lots of teens. They leave plates and dumbbells on the ground. They move benches around. They re-rack plates in the wrong place.
    Yes, I am a bit obsessive.
    Yes, I spend time picking these things up and/or moving them to the right place while I work out.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I become everybody's mom in the gym - I end up clearing up the left over weights strewn everywhere (by mostly men it has got to be said and noted, etc) because I need to use them at some point in my workout. Ugh!
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Love my gym! Guess a gym is as good as it's clientele? Weights are usually racked and machines are usually cleaned. There are plenty of towel dispensers and spray bottles around, and great storage racks for all the loose equipment. When it is made easy, and the rules are posted, it usually gets done.
    One thing that I do see is a lot of wasted time looking for the interchangeable hand loops. I think they need some extra as they seem to be missing some.
    One other thing, that really can be bad, is the floors not being kept clean and free of debris left by clients. Our gym just recently changed cleaners due to some neglected chores. I am so glad they have a new cleaning person. A new sign has been put on the door as well, "Leave muddy shoes outside!"
    Happy with the workings of my gym, The Rock is the best!
    Donna155
  • foodie99
    foodie99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Your set isn't done until you re-rack your weights. I often wonder about the guys who squat over 300lbs, then watch a tiny girl (me) come over to re-rack the weights. You would think they would feel bad watching a girl put all their weights away...

Working at a gym and doing this all the time.... they don't notice!

Also, when you re-rack, put it back on the proper post. Some of the weight stands are designed so that the plates will only fit in a specific order. I hate taking off two 45 plates to remove the 10 that isn't where it should be!
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I re-rack my weights AND I'm a douche :grumble:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's just my stupid gym, but NOBODY re-racks weights, and people look at me like I'm an idiot /douche when I do! I still do it, though. I wish everyone else would, too.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I rerack and tend to rerack others during rest sets. The gym owner saw me doing this and has since said something but you still find douche bags (male and female) who don't.

i do the same, although the people at my new gym rarely forget to rerack, which is nice for a change (prob because its a Planet Fitness, and they'll press that stupid lunk alarm if you do anything meat-headish)

at any gym ive been to, i always rerack. its common decency

i also think people are douches if they hog weights that they dont plan to use in the immediate future (im not talking within the next 5 min. im talking about people who grab (for example) 2 sets of dumbbells and 2 sets of barbells and leave them by their weight bench, and it may be 10+ minutes until they start using the other sets). 2 women at my old gym would do that, and then proceed to talk to each other for 15 min without using a single weight that they had hogged. at that point, i dont even ask to use a set - i just take it... and then rerack it for good measure instead of bringing it back to them.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm OCD and lift at home, so after my workouts, the empty bar sits on the squat rack (even, of course) and all the weights are sitting on my plate stand in orderly groups (cause you know, 2.5 lb plates only ever get along with other 2.5 lb plates).

I like being able to find things immediately rather than having to hunt for them. Doesn't everybody?
  • alexisjfrank
    Options
    I always re-rack, my set just doesn't feel finished until then. My gym has signs all over the weights area reminding people to re-rack, plus one that says" Men, please re-rack your weights when finished so the ladies don't have to" Not sure how I feel about that one . . . .
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    other than it being an unwritten rule (at my gym) to leave one plate loaded on the bench, yes, I put up all my weights.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am unracking someone else's weights that they left behind, I think about my mom. When she started working out (a long time ago now), she was really weak. She had to get a gym employee to help her unrack if things had been left behind that were too heavy for her -- 45's & 35's. She stuck it out and now she can do things at 75 years old that I can't, but I remember how hard that was for her at first.

Seems like you shouldn't make it harder for the next person -- it might be somebody's mom!!
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Do to others as you would do to yourself. Pretty please rack em!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I re-rack everyone else's weights. Adds volume to my workout

If I am feeling spectacularly douchy, I will re-rack them while people are still using them.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I always do. I got called out by a trainer at my gym when I went to grab a kleenex between sets "Are you done with the rack?" because he thought I was leaving, which I kind of found insulting haha. Doucheface.

People are terrible at my gym though, with re-racking and with wiping down equipment, which is why I pre AND post-wipe pretty much everything I touch. Our gym has it's own PT team, and they are the worst as it seems their clients (and the PT's) are exempt from having to put away anything. I'm gonna start speaking up about it I think, ain't nobody got time to put away other people's ****.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    On another board, someone recently posted the line "If you're strong enough to lift it, you're strong enough to put it away."

People at my gym are pretty good about putting their stuff away however which is good because I've been in gyms in the past where it was an annoying problem.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    One of many reasons I enjoy working out at my gym. People generally re-rack the weights.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I re-rack my wights AND I am a douche. I don't have to be one or the other. But seriously, this is one of the things I complain about. Douches also sit on weight benches and machines between sets instead of getting up and letting other people work in between their sets. And...they stand in front of the rack in everyone's way while they lift the dumbbells instead of standing a few feet away. I can complain all day about douches.

Forgive me if I misunderstand here, but you want me to re-rack in between sets and get up so you can rack the bench and work your set, then have me load my bar, do another set, re-rack, let you work another set...you or someone else? Ummm...call me what you want, but you can have the bench or machine or whatever, when I'm done with all my reps and sets.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Workout at home but I would put the weights back if I was in the gym... If I didn't rerack it would be when no one else is using the weights at that Moment in time.