Does Slim Fast Really Work?

Options

Replies

• Hleaver
    Hleaver Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started my diet January 10th this year and have used the slimfast shake exclusively for breakfast and the meal bar for lunch. I also use the snack bars when I get hungry between meals. I have lost 42 pounds to date, so I can say it workks great for me. I recommend it and i buy everything at Walmart $18 for the large shake container, $11 for the meal bars and $4 for the snack bars. I have also saved money on my grocery bill. If you try it good luck...Howard
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I started my diet January 10th this year and have used the slimfast shake exclusively for breakfast and the meal bar for lunch. I also use the snack bars when I get hungry between meals. I have lost 42 pounds to date, so I can say it workks great for me. I recommend it and i buy everything at Walmart $18 for the large shake container, $11 for the meal bars and $4 for the snack bars. I have also saved money on my grocery bill. If you try it good luck...Howard

Congrats on losing the weight! Hopefully you don't get tired of the lack of choices for breakfast and lunch. I think that's the biggest challenge with Slimfast and similar products. The one question I would ask is "what would happen if you didn't have access to the product and had to do this without a crutch?" Holiday gatherings, work/social outings, etc. Slimfast doesn't really teach much about real nutrition. Again, I commend the weight loss, but I would encourage you to wean yourself off of Slimfast and "think outside the bottle/package."
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should read this article that cites some interesting research: http://www.livestrong.com/article/265215-dangers-of-slim-fast/

Really interesting article - thanks for that.

Explains why I get explosive wind every time I try Slimfast! Yes, I've tried it (three times now - last time just before I joined MFP). Every time I got wind, bloating and other bowels problems I won't go into!

If I lost weight while doing it then I could have put up with that but I barely lost anything as it did nothing to stop my hunger. I was permanently grouchy and miserable.

As a way of counting calories, it works. But I found the side effects and desire to keep eating did nothing to help me towards my goals at all.

As you have already bought it, then give it a go. You may be different from me and find it works for you. But don't be too disappointed if it doesn't (I blamed myself rather than the Slimfast for my failure when using it).

All the best.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I used slim fast about 20+ years ago after my first child when I was busy running all over like a chicken without a head. I would freeze them and then take one with me in the car if I had a long drive that day. Stopped me from doing the mindless fast food junk and held me over till I got home and could make a real meal. I know of a few people who only did slim fast and lost a lot of weight but they were always cranky not to mention they added to the methane gas situation :laugh: :laugh:

Our oldest drank them when he had a broken jaw after being mugged. He ended up gaining weight because he would have 6 a day since that was all he could get in past the wires. One just didn't fill him up and he was constantly hungry. I warned him about it but he felt it was better than eating purred foods from the blender.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Anything will work short term, but they're probably not terribly healthy. If you must, I wouldn't do it for more than a couple of weeks, with a plan to transition to real food.
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tried it before I found this site years ago (2009). I lost about 30 pounds over a nine month period. I only drank one shake a day and had one of their meal bars three days a week . I only did that because I was in class from 10 to 3 and had NO time to actually get lunch! On the days I wasn't in class during lunch, I would actually eat real food. I sometimes had their snack bars as well, but not very often. Along with the shakes, I also watched what I ate and started exercising,

Now, i just drink it in the mornings because it's easier. I don't have a lot of time to cook anything in the morning (I'm a teacher), so it's just a quick thing I can grab and be done with in five or ten minutes. I also eat a harboiled egg with it just for the extra protein.

It keeps me sated for at least three hours, but I'm a teacher , so I'm on my feet a lot; plus, I tend to lose complete track of time in the morning and lunch usually sneaks up on me. :)
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think if you follow the directions. I saw on the website 1 Meal 2 Shakes and 3 Snacks a day. I think if you just add one blatanly into your day it would be unaffective.:smile:
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I tried it years ago but it literally made me dread my next meal because they became very unappealing after about a week. I wouldn't recommend it long-term. I also never noticed any weight loss and was really bloated and had frequent heartburn.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    no they don't work.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I used to drink them until I read through the ingredient list. I don't like that it has canola oil in. I find that a bit weird. IMO. I never lost any weight with them, and was always hungry.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    With Slim Fast, I lost 80 pounds in about 9 months. I'd have a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, then a salad with 4oz of chicken/tuna ever night. I was also going to the gym 4-5 times a week for an hour or so at a time.

The taste was fine, though I'd stick with the chocolate. Rich Chocolate Royale is by far, the best tasting of the bunch. I was hungry the first few weeks while my stomach shrunk, after that, they kept me full through the meal times. When I upped my activity level I added one of their meal bars.

Slim Fast basically take calorie counting out of the picture.

200 - Breakfast
    100 - Snack
    200 - Lunch
    200 - Snack
    500 - Dinner

1200 calorie diet. It all comes down to what you're putting in, and how much activity you're putting out. They're not magic, just calorie restrictive. Any other low-cal diet and an exercise workout will produce the same results. The one thing SlimFast won't do for you, is give you the tools to continue eating/living well -after- you stop drinking them. I learned this one the hard way.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with real food?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    In a word....No.

They come in handy when you're unable to eat a healthy meal. For example, during a marathon meeting while at work. They will make the hunger pains go away for a couple of hours.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I used them years ago when I first tried to lose weight. They are great in terms of weight loss. They do not taste too good if you replace two meals a day with them because you start to crave real food. I would use them as a meal replacement if you are out of the house - but make sure you then have a lovely nutritious meal for dinner.

The problem comes when you start to eat real food once you have lost your weight - when you stop the slim fast shakes. You cannot sustain the weight loss.

I would use the amount you have but moderate the eating of real food especially healthy fruit and veggies.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Always felt Slim Fast was too lacking in protein for my preferences.
  • mbethune34
    mbethune34 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started slimfast myself... I am doing 2 shakes a day, fruits and vegis and nuts as much as I want, and a 500 calorie diet.. SOOO many misconceptions about your body going into "starvation mode" is makes me laugh..Starvation mode does exist, but it requires extended periods of time without adequate calories-three or more days without food. Such extended periods of time will never be approached by the average person in the West. Starvation mode does not occur after missing a few meals. Depending on the study, starvation mode begins anywhere from 60 to 96 hours without food...

If you repeat a lie long enough people will believe it!!.... I am A HUGE fan of fasting one day a week... It really helps with detoxing etc... I am doing Slimfast to lose 5 pounds before I head off to Cali for a week.. In just 3 days I have dropped 5 pounds. FAST...

People want to call it water weight? ok ... whatev.... I look better naked that is all I care about haha..

SO YES, it does work.... not for long term.. those shakes are yucky... but for a jumpstart, or a quick result...why the heck not!!
  • CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have used them, but I prefer Atkins's they only have 1 gram of sugar (net) and less calories and I think they taste better... I drink one everyday before I workout (Just Dance) for 2-3 hours because I don't want to be too full to workout, but I need something so I don't feel sick, dizzy or exhausted... And, most days, I have anothe one right after my workout, especially if it's going to be awhile before dinner to curb my appetite, but to give me a little something... Hope that helps.... :smile:
  • paulieboy8390
    Options
    pure protein bars are loaded with sugar! 1.66 grams of the stuff which is much more than a slimfast shake. also they cost £1.50 upwards per bar. they are a con.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I used to have the walmart version "equate shakes" cause i think they taste better and lost a ton of weight doing that. My question for everyone else: on the label it shows a ton of positive ingredients. Protein and vitamins. Just putting the whole "skipping a meal" thing, wouldn't it be good to incorporate these shakes into your daily life for the protein and vitamins alone? Gotta be good for the body right?
  • margebouvierx2
    Options
    I used to have the walmart version "equate shakes" cause i think they taste better and lost a ton of weight doing that. My question for everyone else: on the label it shows a ton of positive ingredients. Protein and vitamins. Just putting the whole "skipping a meal" thing, wouldn't it be good to incorporate these shakes into your daily life for the protein and vitamins alone? Gotta be good for the body right?
    But they are artificial vitamins and minerals, i worry if the body even processes them as any goodness or weather the liver and kidneys get rid of them as rubbish,
    In my opinion it is far better to eat real food, I was going to use herbalife as two meal replacements until I researched the rubbish sugar and fillers in these shakes and thats when i got to wondering if they do really provide any goodness at all, especially the likes of slim fast which is pretty cheap. So i wouldn't rely on them as providing me with as much as good old whole food, having said that I can see why people use them and as many have stated on this thread they have and do use them with no side effects and with great success. They just make my mind boggle a bit,