I'm conflicted about "Fat Acceptance" morally.. I find

Options
everyone beautiful in their own way. I think being content and happy with who you are is important, but self improvement is also healthy for a person to grow and mature...

When I see

I don't know what to think... I really want to be like "YOU GO GIRL!" but the other half of me is going.. :\ hmmmmmmmmmmm

Replies

• veganstein
    veganstein Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work in healthcare and am also conflicted about this. People say "It's nobody else's business if I get fat."
    Except it is.
    When you (general "you") get sick or injured, I have to manually move you from bed to stretcher to commode,etc.
    Even with great lifting technique and help from others, I will continue to get hurt. It will be harder us to find an IV site to give you the medications you need and chest tubes and needles are not long enough.
    You will be more likely to get a wound infection. Your blood sugar may be more difficult to manage, even if you are not diabetic. If you are a short, round person, we may not be able to fit you into the scanner. It will be difficult to obtain a decent X-ray because of the increased soft tissue.
    It will be more difficult for you to walk and move after surgery, so your healing process will be longer.
    So my workload will be very increased, and the patient's outcomes will be worse.
    I'm not trying to "shame" anyone, I'm just not sure that people realize the consequences of their actions.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My problem with them is that they try to discourage obese people from losing weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I personally see nothing wrong with a few extra pounds on a person. But when a few extra pounds becomes a health issue, i.e. morbidly obese, it's a problem and no one should be encouraged to remain in that state.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    My problem with them is that they try to discourage obese people from losing weight.

I agree.
    When I was overweight I had SO MANY people saying "oh you just have a curvy figure". Like that made it ok I was overweight because now it gets labelled as being "curvy" which simply isn't the case. Beyonce is curvy, but she is not overweight. I am curvy because now I am not overweight... back then I was just fat.
    There is nothing wrong with it if you are happy with your body that way but I don't agree with all of this "I would rather be fat and happy", "I don't want to eat rabbit food so I will stay this size" mentality.
    I ate a McDonalds yesterday, I ate pizza hut 3 times in the last 2 weeks, but I have maintained my frame because I eat everything in moderation and make smart choices the rest of the time.
    I just want to shake people who say they don't like salads, etc. so they can't go on a diet. It's ridiculous.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I work in healthcare and am also conflicted about this. People say "It's nobody else's business if I get fat."
    Except it is.
    When you (general "you") get sick or injured, I have to manually move you from bed to stretcher to commode,etc.
    Even with great lifting technique and help from others, I will continue to get hurt. It will be harder us to find an IV site to give you the medications you need and chest tubes and needles are not long enough.
    You will be more likely to get a wound infection. Your blood sugar may be more difficult to manage, even if you are not diabetic. If you are a short, round person, we may not be able to fit you into the scanner. It will be difficult to obtain a decent X-ray because of the increased soft tissue.
    It will be more difficult for you to walk and move after surgery, so your healing process will be longer.
    So my workload will be very increased, and the patient's outcomes will be worse.
    I'm not trying to "shame" anyone, I'm just not sure that people realize the consequences of their actions.

My mother is a critical care nurse. She has been injured several times because of the exact scenario that you described here. I want all people to have the confidence to be who they are, but there is nothing wrong with being who you are while reducing your overall size and improving your health.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Denial is not sexy.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Or even discussing the health problems and dangers of overweight/obesity.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

^^Yep, this. I also don't find it empowering to encourage unhealthiness, in general.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and there was a program on this a while ago, and a woman around 300-350lb was trying to say she was healthy because at that moment in time she was. Anyone who says they are happy at that size are lying to themselves
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think it is a cop-out. We know it isn't healthy. Period. And we know we have all the power to do something about it. Period.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yeah I really don't feel that anyone of any size should be belittled or discriminated against or humiliated - but they try to make people feel better about themselves by insisting that they are genetically doomed to be obese and that losing weight is physically impossible. As a former morbidly obese person I found it greatly disheartening and a bit ridiculous.

They try to empower people by convincing them that they are powerless, and that ain't cool.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I accept the person inside, not the behavior that got them fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I used to tell myself I was happy with who I was but in retrospect I sure was not....I made poor choices in all aspects of my life not just in diet and exercise as a result.

Now nearly 80lbs lighter I am so much more confident in who I am and don't need validation from those around me as I did before. I have learned that I can do anything I want to in life.

It is really hard to put into words but I really don't buy into plus sized women saying they are happy with who they are......how can you be happy when you can't even do the simplest thing...but clothes that are pretty for yourself!!!

Just my 2 cents....I wish it were easier to express to people how easy it really is to change yourself if you want it badly enough and are willing to sacrifice to get it.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I"ll toss out something here as an thought.

How many of us are/were caught in the cycle of self hatred where you eat, feel guilt, look at your self, feel hate, then eat more, et al. (Hopefully you know what I"m talking about here). Part of fat acceptance is accepting yourself, seeing your beauty/worth. By encouraging that, you encourage breaking the cycle of self hatred/guilt and therefore over eating.

Like I said, it's just a thought. Then again I'm all for thinking that there should be size acceptance, period. *shrugs*

Just 2 cents from a fat gal trying to find her inner beauty. ;)
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I accept the person inside, not the behavior that got them fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well said!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My hubby finds that attractive.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand how these people can say they are truely happy. They must be lying to themselves all the time!

I was never morbidly obese but I was in the obese range for my height before I started losing. I was MISERABLE, everyday. I can't believe how much my mentality changed when I lost weight!

I cannot agree with what they do to encourage obesity in any form. It's not healthy, plain and simple.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I saw that on Voluptuous Vixens last night. (I love them) Posted on my friend's list that I am SO JEALOUS of her confidence. I weigh easily 200+ pounds less than her and would not feel comfortable in those clothes.

Fat or not, that's beautiful.
  • loosesealbluth
    loosesealbluth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    On here, I'm pretty much the unpopular opinion when it comes to issues like this, but I appreciate the fat acceptance movement (which is ultimately part of a larger movement that promotes being body-positive in general). I don't think it's encouraging anybody to be fat or stay fat or get fatter or whatever. I think what it does is it helps people who are fat and are constantly belittled about their weight feel better about themselves. I was (and still am) fat, and the movement has helped me come to understand that whether or not I lose weight SHOULDN'T determine my worth as a human being – although it sadly does. We tend to correlate a person's size with their worth (something losing weight has made me become painfully aware of). You should be able to be fat and still be awesome and look pretty and feel good about yourself.

Fat people are reminded constantly, in even the subtlest ways, that they don't belong. I don't thing it's wrong to remind them that they do and encourage them to embrace themselves, fat or not. It doesn't make fat people suddenly love their bodies and the idea that they mindlessly believe that fat is beautiful and they're healthy the way they are is ridiculous. Fat people who are a part of the FA movement still tend to feel pretty crappy about themselves, because outside of the movement, which is a fairly small community compared to the general public, they are still reminded that they should feel like crap.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, pictures like that make me feel a little sick. I don't believe it's right to persecute people or deny them rights because of getting fat; our culture encourages it, and there are far worse things. But ewwwwwwwwwwww! and I include myself here.
This discussion has been closed.