Options
    Happy sat!
    Hope you all have a good day!!
    hugs
    jane:heart:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies this will be a short one. Felt horrible today, so after breakfast i went back to bed until nearly 2. I feel some better now; still have a sore throat. I did get a little exercise in, now it's off to take a shower and get ready to go see my dad in the nursing home then out with friends to Olive Garden and to a musical. More tomorrow. You are alwasy in my heart! Phyllis: I have something called garam massala....is that the same thing for your soup? Take care, Meg
  • luvbuttons
    Options
    Just a quick note. I opened a fortune cookie today. It read: "Take a very long walk to burn off all that energy today." At least it didn't say, "Take a very long to burn off all the calories from the junk you ate today." I actually have been eating good stuff so far today. It's nice to know I have "all that energy though." If I do, I should wear it off with the vacuum...
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone! It's cold but lovely here in VA... I spent the morning at a seminar on wellness. I'm still stunned by all the chemicals (free radicals) in our world that affect us so terribly... and make it hard to be healthy. Once again, I'm encouraged to eat more and exercise consistently... I like the eat more part!
    This afternoon I cleaned out the laundry room, sanded the walls, and painted the ceiling. Tomorrow I'll paint the walls. New washer/dryer and cabinets go in next week! Woohoo!
    DH is off playing golf so I'm enjoying my own time.
    Hope you all are too!

:flowerforyou: Cooky, I love that you call your gd, Lovebug! I know you’ll have an awesome weekend!

:flowerforyou: Katia, I’ll look for that Organic no salt seasoning… I love my salt, but I realize how bad it is for me! Sounds good.

:flowerforyou: Rori, That’s awesome you were able to log AND exercise! I am always shocked, shocked by the calorie counts when I eat out. It’s disturbing and can be a blow to a positive attitude, but I’ll stick with the “beautiful banquet that is my life” comment and put on my rose colored glasses!

:flowerforyou: mkmomm, Lordie, I hope your dh doesn’t sing too hard! Hope you get a good night’s rest.

:flowerforyou: Barbie, How true…about the computer. I can get stuck here in my chair for literally hours if I’m not careful. Maybe I should set the timer on my phone!

:flowerforyou: Viv, I’ve eaten some yummy things and realized that there was no way I could control myself and had to do exactly like you… throw it in the trash! So hard, but I didn’t want it on my hips….

:flowerforyou: M, such a nice visit with your mom. Our moms love to be with us, don’t they? And I love to be with my kidlets too… funny how time switches our places. It’s amazing that you lost even more weight while you were gone too. Congratulations!

:flowerforyou: inda, I’m with you. Everything in moderation… and then really enjoy it!

:flowerforyou: manda, I love to imagine you in some quaint English art gallery… with the snow drifting down…

:flowerforyou: Luvbuttons, I get lost in Joann’s too… and I try to remind myself… no new projects! I have so many projects to complete I could almost open a Joanns!

Hope you all are having a happy day.

Tammy in Va Beach
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Wow, I basically missed the last thread! Between traveling for 10 days with limited connectivity and then paying dearly for that vacation this week at work (think long hours, bringing work home at night, etc). I’ve had little time to even peek in. For those who have struggled, I send you positive thoughts and prayers. For those of you celebrating, hooray!

Mary – I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with you and your family

Sue – I hope that you are feeling better and breathing more easily.

Deborah – hugs to you as you and DH address your MIL’s living arrangements and the loss of your FIL.

Katla and Brooke – a belated Happy Anniversary to you both and to your DHs!

Jodios – glad you are feeling perkier!

Jo – I hope your DGD’s birthday party was a success!

Amanda – so nice that you got to see your DD but I do understand your desire to have her all to yourself. I relish those times when it’s just me and one of my DD’s; they seem to open up and we have great, deep discussions about their lives when it’s just me and one of them. I hope you had time for a good heart-to-heart with your own girl!

DeeDee – I hope you are following the dr’s orders and taking care of yourself. It is so debilitating to be sick – I hope you are on your way to recovery!

Lovbuttons – big congrats on your loss!!!

Grandmallie – I think of you often and try to send some positive vibes your way. You have more than your share to deal with. Just do what you can, every day, and don’t be hard on yourself if it’s not as much as you’d like. You said it “slow and steady wins the race”!

Beth – I feel much the same – it’s hard for me to “get going” right now but I just keep pushing myself and I know you will too!

Jnkmomm – hugs to you as you and DH sort out your “new normal”

Welcome to all the new posters! You’ve found a great group of women who will encourage you and share their success and challenges. You’ll learn a lot, I guarantee it!

Can’t remember who it was that asked about fear of success but I really think that might be a problem for me. I was going gang-busters – eating super clean, drinking lots of water and exercising almost every day . Lost 12 or so pounds in a month and was very excited but now I am really struggling. I’m still eating well (but not quite as conscientious as I was) and still exercising (but not as regularly)and still logging my food (but not quite as consistently). The result is that I only lost 5 in the last month. I will just keep doing my best every day and hope to find my “groove” again soon.

I’ve run out of time so will read the rest of the posts later. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone!

Sandy in central OH where we are expecting 6 inches of snow tomorrow. :grumble:
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Renny – Sorry you’re feeling “flu-ish” but glad your ankle is on the mend

Grandmallie – So glad you enjoyed the recipe sites, I’ve found so many great ones on both of them. Be sure to let us all know how the Walden Farms whipped peanut butter spread is. Glad to hear you’ll be able to see your dear friend Ruth - - don’t be torn, you have more time to see DD but not Ruth. Seize this opportunity, you won’t regret it if you do go, but would if you didn’t.

Luvbuttons – hoping you and your husband enjoy the “girlie soup”. I’m going to make it too, sounds delicious to me!

Glenda – You are so right, as we know all too well here in Colorado, sunny does NOT necessarily mean warm!

Meg – Hope you’re feeling much better and were able to enjoy your Dad visit and dinner and theatre outing with your friends

Luvbuttons – if you do work it off by vacuuming, know that in the MFP exercise database you can plug in cleaning/housework and log your calories burned :wink:

Sandy in OH – Sad that we seem to have to “pay” for our vacations when we return to work, isn’t it? Oh yeah, and you “only” lost five pounds in a month - - that’s a resounding success which you should celebrate! That is an average (and healthy) pace for sustained weight loss :flowerforyou:

Brooke from Colorado

exercise.png
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good early evening ladies:flowerforyou:

The sun finally came out this afternoon and it warmed up to 56 degrees, a heat wave:laugh: , tomorrow will bring a cold rain and maybe a bit of snow:noway: :angry: ! Seems like spring is taking her own sweet time to arrive, bah hum bug with the calendar:sad: !
    I have been good mostly today, I did meet a friend for coffee this morning, had to get out of the house!!! I stopped by the grocery and bought salmon to cook tonight, I`m trying my hand at making an orange curry sauce to go on top of it, keeping my fingers crossed it will be decent:laugh: :tongue: ! I did rest this afternoon, took a nice little nap...I feel like such a slug when I do nothing:sad: . It`s about time I take little Noel out for another short walk, 15 minutes at a time per the Dr. , I think she misses the longer walks as much as I do! Can I really do this for 2 weeks:noway: , it`s been 3 days ( or is just 2 days???) and I`m going crazy:grumble: . I love being outdoors so much, even when it`s cold I can still get in a good 45 to 60 minute walk! I love looking at Mother Nature in all her glory, things change every day, the little birds have been singing their little hearts out in the mornings:heart: , I just love it!
    I have a sweet doggie standing on my leg, I need to take her out before she leaves me a present in the house!

Have a wonderful night ladies!!! Drink your water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    It has been such a gorgeous day here. I hope it's this kind of weather when we go to Gatlinburg! We took a walk on the mall. He wanted to go to one of our local parks but there are now benches or somewhere to sit. And boy did he want to break out into his fast walk. But we walked almost a mile. He still insits on going out to eat. He wants to accomplish this low fat diet eating out. So I looked at Dennys web site and found a chicken meal he would like. He finds a meal somewhere and never even opens the menu, just orders the same thing. So deep fried country fried steak smothered in cream gravy with deep fried hash browns and macaroni and cheese has been his meal every time we go there!!!! I know it will be baby steps but he is willing to try. And just the fact that he wants to do his usual things that he loves so much, singing and walking outside is good. We are going to get through this!!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Booo...Forgot to post the new challenge. Let's go with the old one shall we? Let's all add many more servings of veggies (especially green leafy ones) at least one day this coming week. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926465-veggie-fruit-substitution-challenge-1-day-at-a-time

I am watching the tv documentary, Hungry for Change. Free screening until March 31st, for any of you who want to sign up. I signed up through Facebook. So far, very good and educational.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hello all - not long got back from a walk in the snow with daughter and dogs! We did some jogging on the snow covered playing field and it was hysterically funny - there were drifts where our wellies got stuck! We did laugh at each other.

Today was measurement day and I've lost another 10cm - well chuffed!

Son (19) home from uni for Easter hols today - he's already gone through the cupboards asking where everything is!! 'Tho he has said he is also on mfp to ensure he eats enough cals for the amount of exercise he does studying PE - then he put the TV onto Basketball March Madness - yes, taking over already!

Goodnight ladies..have a great day tomorrow. MA in UK
  • luvbuttons
    Options
    Thanks for the info on vacuuming and housework, Brooke. I didn't know MFP had that in their database. Now I have no excuses:sad:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: One of my favorite resolutions from “Happier at Home” is “suffer for 15 minutes a day”………it refers to a way to complete a task that’s painful to do but will make you very happy when it’s done…..I used that resolution to complete the necessary paperwork for my income tax and now Jake and I are using it to get the weeds pulled in the yard and to update our “important personal information” document that includes information about keys, documents, important phone numbers and anything else that would be needed to be known by our kids or executor in the case of our death or incapacity.

:flowerforyou: In case you are wondering why working in the yard was a painful chore rather than a joy, it was because even though the sun was shining, I was wearing long underwear, a down jacket, wool hat and scarf to withstand the low temperature.

:flowerforyou: Another interesting principle from the centenarians in Okinawa
    “ Hari hachi bu. This old adage, translates as “eat until you’re 80% full.” The Okinawans say this before every meal to remind them to eat moderate amounts of food.”………I doubt that I do this now, but in the past I used to eat until I was about 200% full.

:flowerforyou: One reason I am able to do so much exercise is that I don't have children to raise or a full-time job to go to........if you were to take the energy you spend on your kids and your job and use it for walking, dancing, and weight lifting, you'd be doing what I do.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: One reason I am able to do so much exercise is that I don't have children to raise or a full-time job to go to........if you were to take the energy you spend on your kids and your job and use it for walking, dancing, and weight lifting, you'd be doing what I do.
    :heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

There has to be more to it than that. I'm retired, no kids at home, etc., but I don't do nearly as much as you. Too much vitamin LZ, as my mom used to say. I am doing more than I've done in years, and appreciate your good example. I'm making progress. Thanks for all you do around here, it helps keep my motivation high.

Katla
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Long day, left early, got home late,,,,, will catch up on Monday....hope you all had a good day!

Bj
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    katla - we've gone to a restaurant when we're down in FL and they have this item called "salt free 17". I'd never seen it in any store. It's really quite good. However, when I started going to the healthy cooking demos, they were selling it, only in larger bottles than the restaurant had.

Rori in CO - you know something, at first I too misread Rosemary Conley as Rosemary Clooney. Glad to know I'm not the only one

Viv - glad you put that cake in the trash where it belongs

cooky - loved the quote

M - sounds like your mom just loved having you with her. Good for you losing! I know what you mean about having to exercise quietly. I need to be quiet some when we're in FL. Doesn't make for good exercise. That's one of the reasons why I go to the Y down there

luvbuttons - your gd is so lucky to have you making such things for her doll. They sound so beautiful!

Meg - you must be feeling better with all that you'll be doing. Hope so.

MA - big congrats on the loss

Got up and did 50 minutes of Rodney Yee's Yoga Burn DVD today. Then the police dept. put on this self-defense "class". I took it, it was free, wasn't sure exactly what it would be like. Interesting, and they did provide a box lunch. To my surprise it was from Jason's Deli. I had a turkey on wheat with lettuce and tomato. Unfortunately, and I don't know why in the world I did this, I had the chocolate chip cookie that came with the lunch. Logged it and I almost fell over when I saw the calories! I didn't even enjoy it! So why did I eat it in the first place? Why oh why?

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have a nice rest of the evening all, and a great refreshed morning to those who are in bed b now. This is only the 3rd time posting a reply to this topic. I have been reading the threads for a week or two though. Marcia in Northern VA.

I just have trouble remembering all of your names and who talked about what at this point in order to make a comment. I guess I'll get the hang of it with time. Finally figured out how to get from one thread of 500 to the next thread.

Very happy to read from several of you that do have jobs that it is actually tough to find time for MFP and the new lifestyle. I am pretty much walking everyday now, unless work gets in the way, working 9-10 hours and then I commute another 1.75 hours a day her working in support of the Marine Corps in Virginia. Long hours and stress.

I am exercising walking at the mall at least 3 times a week, and when the temps and wind are not bad, walk everyday at lunch time about a mile or more with a woman at the office. Taking my lunch, and working on sugar control. I really want this, it's a committment. All I need to do now is to figure out a way around the trips to the candy bowl at work, I'll get there.

LI get alot out of your positive thoughts, interesting stories and love the tips and innovation I find here. Good night all and thanks for being there!
    Marcia, N VA
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies,

@Meg sorry you aren't feeling well.
    @Dee hope you are feeling better.

Today was a good day overall. Got up went to the Y. Than went to get my hair done a simple haircut and style. appointment was at ten got done at 1. Than went to a friends 40 th Birthday party. I did ok. Tomorrow looking forward things more simple.

Well its almost 1 so heading to bed.

Liz
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hello dear friends

Just a quick post this morning, it's a bit too cold to be sat at the computer, I think the heating must have turned itself off :noway: ::grumble:

:drinker: :drinker: Not sure how I've done it, but I've lost 1.5lbs this morning. I hope it wasn't a mistake! It has spurred me on to be extra careful today. I had a mad supermarket moment on Friday, I bought an extra large lasagne that came with a sticky toffee pudding in with the price. The lasagne was far too big for just me and hubby so I cut it in half and put half in the freezer and cooked half on Friday. Turned out the sticky toffee pudding had apple in it, so hubby wouldn't eat it, so I had a small piece on Friday and kept another small piece and gave the rest to my mum and dad. I knew if I kept it in the house I'd eat all of it. So as I said not sure how I've lost 1.5 lbs :huh: :huh:

:flowerforyou: Michele I haven't done any Yoga since I was about 16 yrs. As I've been feeling a bit stiff think I might check out the Yoga DVD you mentioned. . I know Yoga is good for flexibility. I think I need some more Fitness DVDs. I wish I could find the one I really enjoyed on You Tube, it was like a boxing/kick boxing one, but it was so much fun. I did it for a few days, but then You Tube took it off I tried to find it to buy (it was that good) but couldn't find it on Amazon. I can't quite remember who the people were. I think they were Australian, and was by Nestle Fitness or something. You'd think as I work for Nestle in the UK that I'd be able to find it but no luck so far.

:laugh: Well this isn't getting any work done, I've tons of housework to catch up on, so better make a start.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Viv York UK - where the wind is making it feel even colder !! :grumble:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`ve been up since 4:30 this morning:noway: :sad: ! Oh how I long for the days when I could sleep later, even 2 hours more:sad: !
    Antibiotics have kicked in and I`m finally feeling better:bigsmile: ! Since I`m going to be home for a few days I think I`m going to try to clean out my closet, I can hardly walk in my walk in closet:embarassed: . Need to get rid of the too big clothes, shoes I never wear, etc. etc. it could take me all week in my closet:noway: . I also have my snow people still sitting in my foyer, one of my friends told me yesterday it was my fault spring is confused, Mother Nature saw the snow people and thinks it`s still winter:laugh: ! We are expecting cold rain today and maybe a dusting of snow tonight and tomorrow morning:frown: , the snow people will be going upstairs today!

Have a wonderful Sunday ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in rainy cold NC
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    G'morning! 'Bout froze my fanny off sitting around the campfire last night. I was bundled up like it was the middle of winter! But my rear end, well, I sure noticed that some padding is missing! :blushing: I guess that's a NSV, but brrrrrr! I had a nice hike and jog with my terrier yesterday, all around through the woods on beautiful trails and down along the river. I'm lucky to live where there are such great places to hike! Yes, I have to drive there, it's about 5 miles. Oh, the car repair ordeal went pretty well, minimal amount of swearing, not too many busted knuckles. It took us about 3 hours, the broken hose was well-buried down underneath whatever all that other stuff is. :tongue:

Brooke, my pic isn't of my dog, I have the litte Jack Russell terrier pictured in my ticker, and a lovely Blue Heeler as well. I look online for fun dog pics donned with hats and things. I paint portraits of dogs, but haven't done so for a long time, so I get my thrills & ideas looking at images on the PC. :bigsmile:

You know, I was thinking about the Carrot and Cauliflower soup - I didn't even brown an onion first! Oops! I had made a batch of chicken broth that morning, and just cooked the carrots and cauliflower with the spices, and it was still delicious. But I also added 1/4 cup of leftover enchilada sauce from the night before. :laugh: It needed to be used up, and actually made a nice addition! Here's another "girlie" soup I've made that's out of this world. You'll have to try it!

:love: Ginger Roasted Carrot Bisque. :love:

6 medium carrots, washed and cut into half-inch pieces
    1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
    2 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    4 cups chicken or turkey stock
    1-1/2 cups non-fat milk
    Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
    Shredded Italian cheeses for topping

Preheat oven to 375°F. In a baking pan, toss carrots with 1 table olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Roast in the oven about 20 minutes or until carrots start to brown slightly around the edges.

Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add paprika, and curry powder until the spices begin to sizzle. Add onion, ginger, and tomatoes. Sauté until onion is soft. Add roasted carrots and stock; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
    Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool. Purée in a blender until smooth.
    Return soup to pot, add milk and heat gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Ladle into bowls and garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon shredded cheeses.

That's all I have time for this morning, hope your day is a fabulous one!

:smile: jb in completely cloudy, not quite as cold Portland (37 degrees instead of 32) :noway: There's sun in the forecast for later. I'll believe it when I see it!