How should I proceed? (I weigh 359.6 pounds. Open diary)

Options
Hi all. I began my journey on 1/1/13, and I weighed 420.2 pounds.

Here are my current stats-

Male
29 years old.
6'3"
359.6 pounds

Myfitnesspal suggests that I eat 2,370 calories a day, but I've only been eating 1,400 calories a day since I began. I eat lot of the same stuff everyday, but I assure that I feel satisfied. I eat clean, and I only have food on my menu that I like to eat makes me full. My diary is open I currently do not exercise. It feels great to have lost 61 pounds in less than three months. Of course I know this won't be constant.

I would like to keep doing what I'm doing until I get down to about 275-300 pounds. Then I'm going to begin execising, and re-evaluate what I eat. I would like to get down to 220 pounds. (I don't know if this is realistic, as I have not consulted a doctor.)

Basically, I'm wondering if you all think this is a good idea? I find the posters here to be very informative, so I'm open to hearing any and all thoughts/idea/opinions on what I've done so far, and what I should consider doing in the future.

Replies

• RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Depending on how your joints feel and other health, you may or may not want to start with light exercise already. I put that caveat to it as bodies do vary... when I was 311 I could exercise, my sister when about 315 was told by her doctors to not start exercising until she got at least 50lbs off because of her health issues... so yeah.

If you're able, start some light weights at first and something easier on the joints like walking or elliptical or such. Whatever doesn't hurt you that you can do to move around more. It may not speed up your loss a huge amount, but it'll help your general shape and certainly your health.

As to how much to eat, well, you'll get a LOT of different input from folks here AND from doctors. My suggestion would be to continue what is working for you as long as, as you say, you are feeling full and eating balanced meals.

Oh, and pop in some vitamins, too.

Congratulations on the loss and good luck!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd be eating a little closer to my target. You're eating close to 1,000 calories less than it suggest and that's probably why you're losing so quickly. It's not very sustainable in the long run.. men can usually eat more and still lose. For reference, I'm a foot shorter than you and a female and I'm eating 1300/day so you're barely eating more than I am.
  • TorontoFoodist
    TorontoFoodist Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That is amazing to lose so much without exercising! Taking it slow makes sense, congrats on the steady progress.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to change much of anything but don't starve yourself. You can stand to add a few calories to your diet. 60 pounds lost in 3 months is incredible though. I suggest 1800 cals. I am also tall 6'4 - weighed 385 pounds last year and through a balanced diet, strength training and exercise (mostly bike riding) I was able to shed a lot of that. I now weigh 226 pounds. You can add me if you want a friend who will give you words of encouragement and an open diary.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend slowing down your loss. This will help make the loss more sustainable over the long term and will result in less loose skin and other problems later. I would recommend you begin walking and doing some body weight exercises to start building a fitness base.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You don't need to have a very small deficit as you're bigger, but 1400 is less tha my BMR and I'm 5'4" and 144lb. I eat up to 2000-ish calories a day with working out 3 x a week.

Can you fit in a little bit of walking or something low impact for now? Not just for weight loss, but it helps with your happiness.

Also, measure. You will be amazed how many inches fall off!
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You don't need to have a very small deficit as you're bigger, but 1400 is less tha my BMR and I'm 5'4" and 144lb. I eat up to 2000-ish calories a day with working out 3 x a week.

Can you fit in a little bit of walking or something low impact for now? Not just for weight loss, but it helps with your happiness.

Also, measure. You will be amazed how many inches fall off!

Yes, walking is defintely possible. The inches sure are coming off.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    I would definitely recommend slowing down your loss. This will help make the loss more sustainable over the long term and will result in less loose skin and other problems later. I would recommend you begin walking and doing some body weight exercises to start building a fitness base.

Loose skin is definitely something I'm concerned about. I'm hoping weights are going to help with that.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    I don't think you need to change much of anything but don't starve yourself. You can stand to add a few calories to your diet. 60 pounds lost in 3 months is incredible though. I suggest 1800 cals. I am also tall 6'4 - weighed 385 pounds last year and through a balanced diet, strength training and exercise (mostly bike riding) I was able to shed a lot of that. I now weigh 226 pounds. You can add me if you want a friend who will give you words of encouragement and an open diary.

I just friended you. It sounds like you and I were very similar. Getting encouragement and looking at other poster's diary's has been very helpful.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    Depending on how your joints feel and other health, you may or may not want to start with light exercise already. I put that caveat to it as bodies do vary... when I was 311 I could exercise, my sister when about 315 was told by her doctors to not start exercising until she got at least 50lbs off because of her health issues... so yeah.

If you're able, start some light weights at first and something easier on the joints like walking or elliptical or such. Whatever doesn't hurt you that you can do to move around more. It may not speed up your loss a huge amount, but it'll help your general shape and certainly your health.

As to how much to eat, well, you'll get a LOT of different input from folks here AND from doctors. My suggestion would be to continue what is working for you as long as, as you say, you are feeling full and eating balanced meals.

Oh, and pop in some vitamins, too.

Congratulations on the loss and good luck!

Thank you. I've thought about vitimans. I'm also going to be seeing my doctor in the near future.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    As I told you PG you weigh far more than me and I eat just a few calories less a day. I think your weight loss is fantastic but as others have suggested I do think you should consider some sort of exercise, at least walking if you can. Maybe you should consult with your doctor first and get an idea if he/she feels you should continue losing the weight and exercise later or whether he/she would suggest certain exercises and how many calories you should be consuming a day.

I am proud of your accomplishment so far and look forward to the "new You".

:drinker:

I
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    Honestly I'd be eating a little closer to my target. You're eating close to 1,000 calories less than it suggest and that's probably why you're losing so quickly. It's not very sustainable in the long run.. men can usually eat more and still lose. For reference, I'm a foot shorter than you and a female and I'm eating 1300/day so you're barely eating more than I am.

What I'm hoping to do is stay low claorie during this "initial shred." I agree that I'll have to re-evaluate when I begin the exercise phase.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Some awesome info here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Please use the search feature before posting.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    As I told you PG you weigh far more than me and I eat just a few calories less a day. I think your weight loss is fantastic but as others have suggested I do think you should consider some sort of exercise, at least walking if you can. Maybe you should consult with your doctor first and get an idea if he/she feels you should continue losing the weight and exercise later or whether he/she would suggest certain exercises and how many calories you should be consuming a day.

I am proud of your accomplishment so far and look forward to the "new You".

I

Thank you!

Walking is definitely something I can do. I'll be consulting my doctor in the near future, and I'm sure I'll get some more great insight.

You're going to do great, too.:smooched:
  • dianeb613
    Options
    however my ticker is wrong. I changed my goal weight to a more realistic one for me and yet it keeps saying I have more to lose. :noway:
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    Some awesome info here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Thanks. I'll check that out.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    however my ticker is wrong. I changed my goal weight to a more realistic one for me and yet it keeps saying I have more to lose. :noway:

LOL. How much more do you have left?
  • susanmarnold
    Options

That just sounds rude... Search function often can take a long long time sorting through and not finding what you are looking for.

OP: Great job on your loss! Keep at it. I hope you are able to start exercising soon. I would definitely talk to your doctor first though before doing anything more than walking.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options

That just sounds rude... Search function often can take a long long time sorting through and not finding what you are looking for.

OP: Great job on your loss! Keep at it. I hope you are able to start exercising soon. I would definitely talk to your doctor first though before doing anything more than walking.

Not rude at all. I do this quite a lot if I don't find what I am looking for then I will post.
  • dianeb613
    Options
    I fixed it....LOL I may want to rethink that weight when I get to it.