How should I proceed? (I weigh 359.6 pounds. Open diary)

Options
2»

Replies

• I started at 350 and started exercising when my weight was about 280, really because I was trying not to overwhelm myself with so many changes all at once. I gradually increased what I was doing and am now running 3+ miles >3 days /week along with lifting :). Great job by the way so far!
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Please use the search feature before posting.
    I do this quite a lot if I don't find what I am looking for then I will post

:huh: Good for you? Come on... no need to be a douche.

WAY TO GO, OP! You are doing fantastic!
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Please use the search feature before posting.

That just sounds rude... Search function often can take a long long time sorting through and not finding what you are looking for.

OP: Great job on your loss! Keep at it. I hope you are able to start exercising soon. I would definitely talk to your doctor first though before doing anything more than walking.

Thanks. I have some ideas as to what kind of exercise I would like to do, but I will be talking to my doctor, first.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think you sound like you have a plan that is working for you. It's just my unprofessional opinion but I think you are doing fantastic. If you begin to feel weak or constant hunger or your weight loss stalls, then please do increase your calories. As far as exercise, just start slow. If nothing else, just walk up and down your hallway. Best of luck to you.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Good job, start moving. Walking is great. Your diary looks great! Right now though you can get by on 1200 as you are so overweight, plus benefit you save $$ buying less food. But don't stay there too long (read threads). :bigsmile: Also here are some links to read with good info on calories / metabolism:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

http://www.livestrong.com/article/274887-best-exercise-for-morbidly-obese-people-to-lose-weight/
    (there are other links on this page)

Track your progress with measurements and photos. The scale isn't always your friend. This will also give you a visual reminder to help keep you motivated! Also keep a pair of those "fat pants" & have a pair you want to get into! :wink: Keep on Truckin!!! :bigsmile: :glasses:

One more suggestion drink lots of Green Tea! :drinker:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    According to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ your BMR is 3061, At your weight you can afford to go under this but definitely NOT by as much as you have been doing. 2755 cals a day would give you a 25% TDEE cut and should be sufficient to see a very steady weight loss whilst also giving your body enough nutrition to function.
    It's not a race, it's not biggest loser. This has to be sustainable long term.
  • SaltWaterTaffy78
    SaltWaterTaffy78 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! You've done an amazing job! :drinker:

I agree with the posters above. You can afford to eat a bit more. I took a look at your diary and you can definitely up your calorie intake a little (if you are not keen on a lot more).
    Walking, in my opinion, is the best exercise. I started walking when I first started my prog. here at MFP and it has helped me immensely. It gave me stamina and, thankfully, no injuries while helping me shed off quite a bit of weight. If your joints are good to go and you feel comfy enough you can try some stretching or weight lifting.

Good luck! :smile:
  • M0TZO
    M0TZO Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm using MFP set at the 2lbs loss a week mark and sedentary for my activity level, then use my FitBit.com pedometer to track my walking. FitBit is set to add calories back which you can use, and you burned them off to eat.

9 months in (almost) and I did 11.7 mile walk on Wednesday (best day yet).

I started at 24 st 1 lbs 15 oz (337 lbs 15 oz, 153.3kg) & I've lost mainly through a lot of walking 5 st 1 lbs 6 oz (71 lbs 6 oz, 32.4kg 21.14%) as of today.

Feel free to add me too.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    Good job, start moving. Walking is great. Your diary looks great! Right now though you can get by on 1200 as you are so overweight, plus benefit you save $$ buying less food. But don't stay there too long (read threads). :bigsmile: Also here are some links to read with good info on calories / metabolism:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

http://www.livestrong.com/article/274887-best-exercise-for-morbidly-obese-people-to-lose-weight/
    (there are other links on this page)

Track your progress with measurements and photos. The scale isn't always your friend. This will also give you a visual reminder to help keep you motivated! Also keep a pair of those "fat pants" & have a pair you want to get into! :wink: Keep on Truckin!!! :bigsmile: :glasses:

One more suggestion drink lots of Green Tea! :drinker:

I like regular tea, but I might have to switch to green.

Thanks for the links.
  • c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I began my journey on 1/1/13, and I weighed 420.2 pounds.

Here are my current stats-

Male
    29 years old.
    6'3"
    359.6 pounds

Myfitnesspal suggests that I eat 2,370 calories a day, but I've only been eating 1,400 calories a day since I began. I eat lot of the same stuff everyday, but I assure that I feel satisfied. I eat clean, and I only have food on my menu that I like to eat makes me full. My diary is open I currently do not exercise. It feels great to have lost 61 pounds in less than three months. Of course I know this won't be constant.

I would like to keep doing what I'm doing until I get down to about 275-300 pounds. Then I'm going to begin execising, and re-evaluate what I eat. I would like to get down to 220 pounds. (I don't know if this is realistic, as I have not consulted a doctor.)

Basically, I'm wondering if you all think this is a good idea? I find the posters here to be very informative, so I'm open to hearing any and all thoughts/idea/opinions on what I've done so far, and what I should consider doing in the future.
    You sound a lot like me, even your stats are similar to me (6'2.5, 28 years old, lost 61lbs exactly in my first 12 weeks, goal weight of 230lbs). I don't really have any advice for you but can tell you some of what has worked for me.

For one, eating less hasn't equated to losing more for me. One week I aimed to increase my net calories by about 300/day and lost 3lbs more than I did the week previous. I currently aim to net around 1800-2000/day, but last week averaged around 2200 and had my best weekly weigh-in in five weeks. MyFitnessPal suggests that I net 2600 cals/day for a 2lb/week loss.

I started walking a couple of weeks into my calorie-counting, but it was hard on my knees so I stopped after only a few times. I went without exercise for a while, but started swimming about 10 weeks in. It's easy on my joints and a really good calorie burn at the same time. I averaged a loss of 4.2lbs/week before swimming (not counting my first week) and am averaging 4lbs/week since.

My diet hasn't been very clean, but still infinitely better than what it was before. I don't eat fast food anymore but a lot of what I buy is processed. I've added a lot of vegetables to the mix too.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience, and keep up the good work.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! You've done an amazing job! :drinker:

I agree with the posters above. You can afford to eat a bit more. I took a look at your diary and you can definitely up your calorie intake a little (if you are not keen on a lot more).
    Walking, in my opinion, is the best exercise. I started walking when I first started my prog. here at MFP and it has helped me immensely. It gave me stamina and, thankfully, no injuries while helping me shed off quite a bit of weight. If your joints are good to go and you feel comfy enough you can try some stretching or weight lifting.

Good luck! :smile:

I'm going to start walking soon, and I'm definitely going to adjust my calories when I talk to my doctor start to exercise vigorously.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    Thank you all for the great responses so far,
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    When I do start to exercise, what would you all recommend for the loose skin? (Assuming it doesn't correct itself. I've heard various things about this.)