Body media link or core?

joleenl
joleenl Posts: 739 Member
Can people tell me which they have and why it's better? Is it simple to use? I'm seriously considering buying one. I had a HRM watch\chest strap combo... Hated it too many functions and too complex.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    i just got the link because it syncs with smart phones....but I have not received it yet...
  • joleenl
    i just got the link because it syncs with smart phones....but I have not received it yet...

I know I'm awaiting your review.
  • I have the Link - got it about a week ago and I love it! I have myfitnesspal linked to my bodymedia account so it's easy to see calories in/calories out. It took a little bit to get used to having it around my arm all the time, but now it doesn't really bother me. I also got the app on my smart phone so I can see "real time" accounts of my calorie burn and activity level. I think it is really helping me to stay motivated and hold myself accountable. Also, I ordered mine online from costco.com and it came with a free 12 month subscription to the online activity manager, so if you're interested you might check it out there - mine cost a total of $125, including shipping and the year's membership! Great bargain!
  • I've had the link for about 3 weeks. I LOVE IT. I think the core is a bit smaller and isn't Bluetooth. but the Link has Bluetooth so you can sync it with your smartphone :D and I love checking throughout the day to see how many calories I burn.
  • joleenl
    I have the Link - got it about a week ago and I love it! I have myfitnesspal linked to my bodymedia account so it's easy to see calories in/calories out. It took a little bit to get used to having it around my arm all the time, but now it doesn't really bother me. I also got the app on my smart phone so I can see "real time" accounts of my calorie burn and activity level. I think it is really helping me to stay motivated and hold myself accountable. Also, I ordered mine online from costco.com and it came with a free 12 month subscription to the online activity manager, so if you're interested you might check it out there - mine cost a total of $125, including shipping and the year's membership! Great bargain!

Do you use the activity manager? What's that like? I seen the link on amazon for $99
  • joleenl
    What's a one year typically worth?
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    I have the fitbit. I had a liitle trouble with it it gave me double burn calories from hrm. That was the start of my gaining trend.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Core is smaller so may be less noticeable.
  • The activity manager is where I can use all the interactive tools - it does allow you to log your food into their app but I prefer the myfitnesspal app. I think generally the account is maybe like $7 a month or something like that. You can log your workouts, see how many steps you are taking, set a goal for a specific calorie burn and other stuff. It also tracks your sleep, but I'm not too sure how accurate that really is.....I'm not sure how it knows I am asleep vs laying in bed. I do find myself making an effort to be more active because I know it is logging everything for me. I am very happy with it!
  • joleenl
    I have the fitbit. I had a liitle trouble with it it gave me double burn calories from hrm. That was the start of my gaining trend.

Isn't the fitbit like an expensive pedometer? It doesn't do skin temperature and heart rate, correct?
  • joleenl
    The activity manager is where I can use all the interactive tools - it does allow you to log your food into their app but I prefer the myfitnesspal app. I think generally the account is maybe like $7 a month or something like that. You can log your workouts, see how many steps you are taking, set a goal for a specific calorie burn and other stuff. It also tracks your sleep, but I'm not too sure how accurate that really is.....I'm not sure how it knows I am asleep vs laying in bed. I do find myself making an effort to be more active because I know it is logging everything for me. I am very happy with it!

Sounds pretty cool! So you need that activity manager to use all of its functions? So if you didn't have the membership the thing isn't worth it?
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member

Isn't the fitbit like an expensive pedometer? It doesn't do skin temperature and heart rate, correct?

The fitbit does not do body temp or heart rate. Core I never hear of. I thought body media was about the same as fitbit except with the band. I'll have to check into it more. I may be interested.
  • Sounds pretty cool! So you need that activity manager to use all of its functions? So if you didn't have the membership the thing isn't worth it?
    [/quote]

Yeah I think so - without the activity manager account I probably wouldn't have access to all the cool features
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    The activity manager is where I can use all the interactive tools - it does allow you to log your food into their app but I prefer the myfitnesspal app. I think generally the account is maybe like $7 a month or something like that. You can log your workouts, see how many steps you are taking, set a goal for a specific calorie burn and other stuff. It also tracks your sleep, but I'm not too sure how accurate that really is.....I'm not sure how it knows I am asleep vs laying in bed. I do find myself making an effort to be more active because I know it is logging everything for me. I am very happy with it!

Sounds pretty cool! So you need that activity manager to use all of its functions? So if you didn't have the membership the thing isn't worth it?
    It will not work without the Activity Manager. If you don't have a monthly subscription of some sort, you can't have access to the data.

The Link and Core do not track heart rate. If you check out their website it talks about the parameters that it tracks. I really like my Link, but I would make sure you have a compatible phone. I do like checking in on my phone throughout the day, but I'd be fine with having to manually sync to my computer with the Core, too.
  • jaz050465

It will not work without the Activity Manager. If you don't have a monthly subscription of some sort, you can't have access to the data.

The Link and Core do not track heart rate. If you check out their website it talks about the parameters that it tracks. I really like my Link, but I would make sure you have a compatible phone. I do like checking in on my phone throughout the day, but I'd be fine with having to manually sync to my computer with the Core, too.

If you get the core, you can buy an optional display which allows you to see see how you're getting on.
  • jaz050465

The fitbit does not do body temp or heart rate. Core I never hear of. I thought body media was about the same as fitbit except with the band. I'll have to check into it more. I may be interested.

BMF is much more accurate than the Fitbit.
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    I have the galaxy s3. Is that compatible?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,505 Member
    I have the Core, my friend has the Link. Two days ago we took the exact same exercise class, but hers gave her credit for three times the activity mine did. I promise I wasn't phoning in the workout - the pain in my abs does not lie! I'm not sure why the discrepancy. We were both panting and pouring sweat, but mine only counted about 12 minutes of the 45 minute workout. My HRM, in the meantime, said I'd burned 400 calories in that period.

Just my two cents. :flowerforyou:
  • jaz050465
    I have the galaxy s3. Is that compatible?
    Probably best to check with BMF.
  • jaz050465
    I have the Core, my friend has the Link. Two days ago we took the exact same exercise class, but hers gave her credit for three times the activity mine did. I promise I wasn't phoning in the workout - the pain in my abs does not lie! I'm not sure why the discrepancy. We were both panting and pouring sweat, but mine only counted about 12 minutes of the 45 minute workout. My HRM, in the meantime, said I'd burned 400 calories in that period.

Just my two cents. :flowerforyou:

Seems like yours might be faulty. I'd contact BMF.