What to have with tuna fish...

Options
Lyadeia
Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
If you were going to eat a packet of the Starkist tuna fish that comes in different flavors such as hickory smoked, what would you mix with it for best taste (mayo? cheese? both? something different altogther?)

And what kind of bread would you have it on if you didn't particularly care for regular ol' boring white or whole wheat loaves from the grocery store? Pita perhaps?

Just looking for ideas here. And don't worry about "clean" foods, low carb, or whatever. Just something that would taste good with the tuna and be about 250 calories or so total for a nice snack while I am at work is all I'm looking for. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    Tuna + A tiny bit of mayo+ Milton's 'Everything' crackers (in the purple box) = dinner at least once a week for me.

It comes out to be more than 250 cals, but you get the gist. I would imagine the flavored kind you wouldn't even need to mix with anything. I've been tempted to pick up a couple of those to try them out...
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese all the way.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    swiss cheese and a flax seed roll up
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like to add dill and mayo, and I eat it with celery. it's nice and crunchy, and the calories i've used in mayo are fine since there isn't anything in celery.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I add seasoning salt to mine. Also chopping up pickled jalapeños and mixing in is really good!
  • justineismoney
    justineismoney Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and tuna? Now that I may have to try.
  • scottRN
    scottRN Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When it comes to tuna fish its open can insert fork for me. Tuna steaks otoh I usually use a mango,pineapple chutney or apricot preserves
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    tuna with salad and light dressing...

tuna omelette

tuna with light or calorie free mayo on crackers or in a sandwich

(bit more calories)

Tuna with whole wheat pasta and light alfredo sauce

tuna,avocadoes and salad
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Mayo, minced shallots, cilantro, salt and pepper. I like it stuffed in half an avocado. Enjoy!
  • Zepplipop
    Zepplipop Posts: 33
    Options
    I usually do tuna w/ cottage cheese and tomato. Or just plain-- I love it :)
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I mix my tuna with some fat free ranch dressing, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and Mrs. dash....oh so yummy on a salad!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If you were going to eat a packet of the Starkist tuna fish that comes in different flavors such as hickory smoked, what would you mix with it for best taste (mayo? cheese? both? something different altogther?)

And what kind of bread would you have it on if you didn't particularly care for regular ol' boring white or whole wheat loaves from the grocery store? Pita perhaps?

Just looking for ideas here. And don't worry about "clean" foods, low carb, or whatever. Just something that would taste good with the tuna and be about 250 calories or so total for a nice snack while I am at work is all I'm looking for. :flowerforyou:

I like tuna mixed with avocado. I use the avocado in place of mayo and add a little grated onion and a squeeze of lemon juice.
  • minniebee
    minniebee Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad- made with the tinyiest amount of mayo, some mustard, and a little pickle relish. :love: Delish!
  • mdhughes33
    Options
    Olive oil and a touch of lemon juice with dill over kale.
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    i always chop up a hard boiled egg with some pickles, tomatoes, and onion.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    tuna + leftover pasta + bernstein's light cheese fantastico + mustard + little bit of lemon juice + handful of peppercorns + sprinkle some bread crumbs for an added crunch.

taste like a quick tuna casserole
  • LolaErca
    LolaErca Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i like pasta with tuna, black olives and parsley sauce.
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have it for breakfast with my scrambled eggs. I sauté some onions and tomatoes, then add the eggs, cook them a bit and then add the tuna and some seasoning I like. Yesterday, I even added some capers. :bigsmile: It turned out to be a hearty and tasty meal.
  • BHetrick
    BHetrick Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do tuna on a whole wheat tortilla and some Franks Red Hot sauce. Simple and quick.