How do I not eat the junk if it's in the house?

Options
If it's there I can't control myself. I have to grab it and devour it.

How do I gain self-control?

(I live with my parents. They buy what they want for those of you saying throw it out. Lol. That's a no can doosey.)

Replies

• SusanMPreston43
    SusanMPreston43 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When you find out, pass it along as I want to eat all the junk in my house that my husband and son have. I have no willpower....
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    Stop buying junk.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    stop buying junk...thats the answer.
  • SusanMPreston43
    SusanMPreston43 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Stop buying junk.

Not the only person in my home....and I cannot enforce my way onto my husband. He is the head of the house, he says buy it, I buy it.

But I have such a difficult time walking past it...I am weak.
  • AmandaMarie916
    AmandaMarie916 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don't keep it in the house. Or learn how to look at the calories and such and go holy crap. I treated to myself to Ben & Jerrys tonight because I was able to say no to candy and chips for along time.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Save your money. If I buy junk food, I take one portion for me and dump the rest in the breakroom at the office.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    He's a grown man, let him buy his own junk. Then it won't be yours to devour.
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    I used to have the same issue because my bf has a huge sweet tooth. But once you say no the first time, you get this relief and then it gets easier. You can still have a little, but just practice saying "no thank you!" And don't go near it at all. I like to stay out of the kitchen unless I'm cooking or putting things away.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    He is the head of the house, he says buy it, I buy it.

there's your problem
  • disawell
    disawell Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself whether it helps you reach your goals or not. On any given day the answer might be "no so i don't want to" or "no, but I don't care" - everytime it's just a choice. No willpower needed really, just logic. :)
  • walkerr1968
    Options
    I try not to bring foods into my house that I know I can't resist. I do have children, but I'll buy the things that they like, as long as it is not something that I can't resist. I try to limit the junk snacks for them as well and opt for fruit and veggies. I figure, we all can benefit from this. I'm trying to create a healthy lifestyle - not a dieting environment.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    just-say-no.gif
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Get your own "junk." 60 calorie chocolate pudding... that's my weakness. I get one a day. A couple sticks of licorice, a couple jolly ranchers, make your own popsicles... there are ways to get that junk "fix," without actually having to eat the junk!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    If it's there I can't control myself. I have to grab it and devour it.

How do I gain self-control?

allow yourself One treat a day, that way you are not punishing yourself, remember this is FOREVER. Good luck
    Here is good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    He is the head of the house, he says buy it, I buy it.

there's your problem

This. Are you married to a caveman?
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Pain therapy: eat something really spicy or pinch your arm or slap your cheeks when you want to eat junk. Then don't buy so much of the junk. That's what I do anyway.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are never hungry. That's when you start looking at all the bad crap. And also, make sure there are treats in your house you CAN eat with guilt. Instead of eating their crappy stuff, you can whip out your own less crappy stuff. I just ate a Skinny Cow salted pretzel chocolate covered ice cream bar....160 calories. So get something like that so you don't eat the families dougnuts. Get a bag of popcorn instead of chips...etc.
  • maniesduchocolat
    maniesduchocolat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eh, star eating it in small portions. I've got a 220 grams chips bag in my room, it's been sitting there for two weeks now. I grab small portions from time to time
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I know there are certain things I can't resist, homemade chocolate chip cookies for example. I just don't make them. Other things are easier, but if there is something my husband likes, I put it out of sight and normally we both forget about it. It does get easier as you see the results from not eating those tempting goodies.
  • imzadi_24
    Options
    it's hard, I know! keep the junk food in a specific location in your kitchen, (ONE shelf in the fridge, ONE spot in the cupboard) and also keep a stash of healthy snacks for you. then when you get tempted, you have a healthy alternative close by.