Anyone else notice 1200 calories is not enough?

Options

Replies

• bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Somebody said they want to kill people on 1200 calories. why? why do you give a crap what someone you don't give a crap about eats?
  • shesajoy
    shesajoy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    YES, I had the same issue. Normal person with a normal life, and while I love healthy food, I love food in general too much. ;) Portion control is an issue for me. I do yoga, but don't always have time for power yoga. Recently moved out to the middle of nowhere and we have a "mini-farm", so I do a lot of walking through snow and chasing chickens and horses these days, in between sitting at my home office to work. I switched from 1200 to 1330, and even that tiny amount has made such a difference in my attitude. I was beginning to feel hopeless, thinking "I can't even have four ounces of wine with dinner if I don't work out!" Sorry, love a glass of vino ... This has worked out much better. Just that tiny bit of leeway, and knowing that progress is slow but still progress, can make all the difference. Everyone has to find what works for them. Don't let those who say things like "No, it's plenty! I just work out all the time! Get used to it!" make you feel bad. That is great if that what works for them, but if you are feeling totally deprived your attitude will eventually go down the drain. Don't do that to yourself. Our bodies are each very different from one another, and what they require. <3
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    VERY WELL SAID SHESAJOY!!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Somebody said they want to kill people on 1200 calories. why? why do you give a crap what someone you don't give a crap about eats?

I think you may have misunderstood the quote. I think they mean when they eat 1200 cals they aren't happy!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've tried the 1200 calorie thing and realized it's good for a quick loss over a short amount of time, but the loss doesn't hold up. I'm working on the whole "eating between your BMR and TDEE" thing now and I'm thinking this is going to be more sustainable in the long-run.

I'd rather a slow and steady loss that sticks than a quick loss followed by a quick gain-back.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone. I try to stick to 1400 or less. Seems to be working.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    rememeber to put in any house work you do whether its light or vigorous plus your walk

This really depends on your settings. If you said you were sedentary, it may be appropriate to include this. If you said you were active, your diary settings may already include calories burned during normal day to day activities such as housework. Also, I am not sure I would trust MFP to calculate the number of calories burned by normal things. MFP usually overestimates calories burned compared to what my HRM says, and I am no slacker at the gym.

Sorry to disappoint anyone who does log their housework but anyone who wears a FitBit will be able to tell you that there is a fair amount of activity already included within 'sedentary'. Mine is set at sedentary and a whole day of housework wouldn't give me more calories to eat if I hadn't also walked more than a mile.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    If you search the topic I gave a hunch you may find one or two people who agree with you.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I can't do 1,200. I become an angry moody b*tch. I eat about 1,500-2,00 If I burn 500 a day with exercise I can lose weight. It's just getting to the gym everyday.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I think you may have misunderstood the quote. I think they mean when they eat 1200 cals they aren't happy!

I think they meant when they eat 1,200 they become angry and want to kill people. LOL Like me. I just want to punch everyone in the face. Why? I'm freaking starving!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If I ate only 1200 calories, I would be so hungry I might start doing crazy things, like opening 30 different MFP accounts in order to call people fat and promote the Master Cleanse. You know, hypothetically.
  • aubreyg87
    Options
    I am doing fine sticking to 1230 cals/day. I drink two Body by Vi shakes a day made with unsweetened original almond milk. I put flaxseed in one of them. I eat one sensible meal every day and have a couple healthy snacks. I make my calories count by making sure they are healthy, filling calories. There is a huge difference between 100 cals of fresh fruit and 100 cals of potato chips. :) Keep up the good work everyone! It is hard but it is so much more worth it to lose the weight than to eat the junk! :)
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I can eat 1200 calories per day and lose weight if I frump around the house and watch movies all day. But, if I try to live my "normal" life of daily running, jumping and miles of brisk walking, 1200 calories leaves me weak, cold and famished. I tried to do it in the beginning of my weight loss, but I don't want to be on a diet that leaves me too weak to move, so I upped to about 1500 plus (varies depending on my activity). I'm losing weight with the upped calories and am much happier and healthier.
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    I'm finding it to be too much if I eat back my exercised off calories so I am going to stop doing that. I am diabetic on insulin so I am sure that has a lot to do with the fact that the scale hasn't budged since i started using this program to track my calories and exercise. I am not particularly active . I walk 2 miles 2x a day which always takes my calories back up but if I try to eat back my calories I worked off my blood sugar ends up too high at the end of the day. Eating enough to have 1200 calorie plus intake without taking my blood sugar too high and keeping my fat intake where it ought to be is a challenge.
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    1800 for me!
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting!!!!! When I first started I was losing quite nicely on 1200 cals a day and I was able to feel full. But for the past several weeks I have not lost an ounce. When I posted on my wall a few days ago how upset I was getting several MFP buddies stated they thought 1200 wasn't enough per day and I have read in several articles where 1200 or less is too low for health. I just today upped my cals per day to 1500. MFP says that will get me about a pound a week. I don't want to get thin FAST I want to get thin for LIFE! I am really hoping this works for me. With 81 pounds lost I see is is working wonderfully well for you!

Good luck to us all on our weight loss journey!
  • aubreyg87
    Options
    Me too!!! :) Good job!!!
  • friendthegirl
    Options
    I've decided to go up, not because I don't feel satiated on 1200 calories, but because I don't want my metabolism to slow, and don't want to start losing muscle. I'm debating what to set my goal as, tonight I changed it to 1350, I will move up to 1400 after a while and stay there until I get to the weight I want. It's weird as I've gotten so used to 1200 that I'm going to have to make a conscious effort to eat more calories. But too long at 1200 calories makes your metabolism slow as your body doesn't know why you're eating so few calories (for all it knows you are starving, and it reacts as if you were starving). Your body starts to burn muscle (so you will continue to lose weight, but some of it will be muscle). If your body thinks it is starving, it holds on to fat as that is what you would need to stay alive.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I do 1400. I usually net 1200 on workout days. I lose 1-2 lbs. I'm satisfied with 1400.
  • lauriearmitage
    Options
    im on 12oo calories and finding it ok. im not a big exerciser and im 60 yrs old almost so perhaps with a slower metabolism it makes a difference? my dr said as long as im walking and nothing more 1200 is fine however the min i add exercise i need to increase my calories..im on a 5 yr journey and have lost 155 pounds with 45 approx to go. and this is working...i mix it up..weight watchers, and all sorts of programs but this mfp is super....