Using rewards/punishment for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    sounds very healthy
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    lol okay... well
    I've gained back two lbs and I've decided to take a few things away until I lose that plus the 10 lbs.
    So for example, I love pasta, so I'm cutting out pasta. Another thing, I LOVE the movie Psycho and the new tv show Bates Motel, so I'm not going to watch either until I lose the weight. Idk I just wanna know if anyone has done something like this

By the way, I am sheeeit at punishing myself. I have tried it before. "You don't get to watch a movie till you workout." And then I roll my eyes and laugh at myself. "Like that's gonna happen. Hah! Good try, self." *goes and watches movie*
  • __Karl__
    __Karl__ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the reward/punishment route, but sounds like its working for you!
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a school teacher & positive rewards work well for my students- so I have tried the same for my workouts (I don't really need anything at the moment for eating well).
    -I have a schedule with my workouts that I post in my kitchen. I get a sticker on the schedule on the days I workout. This works well- for some reason I really want that sticker on the chart! :)
    -I also started this month transferring $5 into a savings account each day I worked out. I plan on treating myself at some point (not sure when). I currently have $110 towards my reward.
    The sticker is an 'instant' reward, whereas the big reward is long term.
    I think if you need some type of reward sysyem for motivation, go for it. Phase out when you have instilled it as habit.
    Do what works for you (and you may need to play with a few things). My experience is a positive reward vs. being punitive works better for motivating in a good way.
    Thanks!

I love your reward system. :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My reward is being hot

My punishment is being fat.

I choose hot.

This.
  • acraw558
    acraw558 Posts: 23
    Options
    positive reinforcement is a great tool! i usually reward myself with clothes. i LOVE clothes!
  • CoffeeLaceAddict157
    Options
    positive reinforcement is a great tool! i usually reward myself with clothes. i LOVE clothes!
    lol wheres your favorite place to shop? I love to shop at forever 21 (:
  • CoffeeLaceAddict157
    Options
    I'm a school teacher & positive rewards work well for my students- so I have tried the same for my workouts (I don't really need anything at the moment for eating well).
    -I have a schedule with my workouts that I post in my kitchen. I get a sticker on the schedule on the days I workout. This works well- for some reason I really want that sticker on the chart! :)
    -I also started this month transferring $5 into a savings account each day I worked out. I plan on treating myself at some point (not sure when). I currently have $110 towards my reward.
    The sticker is an 'instant' reward, whereas the big reward is long term.
    I think if you need some type of reward sysyem for motivation, go for it. Phase out when you have instilled it as habit.
    Do what works for you (and you may need to play with a few things). My experience is a positive reward vs. being punitive works better for motivating in a good way.

This seems like a great program (:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    it's not really a reward or anything but my problem is procrastination. I'll procrastinate anything. so when I'm doing well, it's because I'm doing the workouts each day. even if it's a short one. if I still haven't done one when i'm ready for bed,
    I have to do some kind of exercises, then sleep. keep track of the days I workout, then once I built up a streak, I want to keep that going. even if I'm not losing or seeing other results, I can chart those actions. it's really just to get me started, once I'm in the habit again, it's not hard to be consistent.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been doing something like I give myself $10 for every pound I lose and I put it in a jar and when I get to my goal weight I'll use that to buy new clothes!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    now that I think about it, it would be faster to say track your exercise on mfp. However, I was describing when I did the tracking without some type of website. if some one is really new to all of this it is sometimes simpler to just keep track on a calendar or notebook. once you have your frequently used exercises in your database though, it's just a few clicks.
  • Sara13CH
    Sara13CH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Me too. I live using charts and seeing the progress.
    Positive reinforcement seems to work best for me.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My reward is being hot

My punishment is being fat.

I choose hot.

Hahahaha this ^^ Love it.