any 1200 calorie success stories?

Options

Replies

• Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    No. I eat 3200 calories a day and stil lose right at .5 a pound a week. Unless you're 4'11" or you have to for medical purposes, I see no point in eating a 1200 calorie diet. Especially if you're working out as well.

Another 26 YO male heard from.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    ShantesNaturalVanity Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think we must all remember that 1200 cals of junk food is ALOT LESS than 1200 cals of healthy eating. If you stick to grain, fruits and vegetables and avoid fillers like soda and candy. then 1200 cals, especially for a woman is maintainable.
  • CherylLouise1994
    Options
    i follow a 1200 calorie diet and it works for me, i hardly even have time for exercise and i've lost 36lbs :)
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think the thing is can you eat 1200 calories forever. I mean I am not going to lie I did it for a while but then I stopped losing weight so I increased my cals and I started losing again. Everyone is different. Do what is best for you and your weight loss journey!! Good luck!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You'll have to figure out how what works for you. One person put it to me that we're all our own chemistry sets. One thing that works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. It's purely trial and error.

but, with that said, I have been on 1200 cals since last mid June. As of today, I've lost 70 lbs. I would have to say that it works. Depending on what you eat, you can fit a lot in - just not any room for fast food and a lot of junk.

Some people want to loose faster or slower and it depends on your activity level.

I jumped in with both feet to 1200 cals and I've never regretted it. I don't have very many cheat days at all. My activity has went from barely able to walk 5 minutes to now 7 miles at a time.

Good luck.
  • CeCe_711
    CeCe_711 Posts: 35
    Options
    I think we must all remember that 1200 cals of junk food is ALOT LESS than 1200 cals of healthy eating. If you stick to grain, fruits and vegetables and avoid fillers like soda and candy. then 1200 cals, especially for a woman is maintainable.

^^^^this^^^^^

eating clean and healthy means you get to eat at least twice as much as you would if you were eating crap. i generally eat 1000-1200 a day (minus my cheat day when i'm closer to 1300) and i feel fantastic. i have more energy now that i have ever had. i workout 6 days a week. i am 5'4" and if i'm hungry, i eat. but i eat GOOD food. food that fuels my workouts and feeds my muscles. of course this is not going to work or a 20 something boy who has an appetite comparable to an entire football team... two completely different bodies, two completely different needs. i HATE when people harp on what works (and works well and healthy) for other people. just because you eat more and you have results does not mean you are some sort of food/calorie/body genius.
  • tntgal2
    tntgal2 Posts: 26
    Options
    I started @ 1200 calories/day back in May 2012, because that's what MFP "assigned" and I hadn't read all the "fright stories" about TDEE and so on yet. I usually gained about 100 calories daily during the week through exercise and "ate those back", and on the weekends, I'd walk further and usually eat back 400 to 600 extra exercise calories each day. I'm heading towards 60 years old so my metabolism isn't supercharged as it used to be, but I've felt very healthy throughout. I have substituted a lot of higher fiber healthy choices for previously calorie dense foods, and rarely feel hunger pangs. My doctor in December did all my blood work and said I was in great shape (physically - including cholesterol, heart rate, blood sugar, lung capacity, etc ). I recently upped my daily calories to 1300 and I'm still losing, though (as it's been throughout) very slowly. Once I'm at my goal (I have a general weight goal, but I also want more muscles, so I've added in some weight training to my cardio), I'll slowly keep adding calories until I find something I can live with without putting on weight or losing. I plan to continue to weight myself once weekly forever ... no more cheating and then not looking for a week (that stretches to a month and then to years).
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I can promise you this, you won't fill me up on 1200 calories, you would just make me mad.

You are a 26 yo male. Of course you shouldn't be eating 1200 cals per day. It certainly would not be appropriate for you. But it certainly IS appropriate and works for many others.

Just curious, however, I see you have lost well over 100 pounds. How long did it take you to lose that much? 4 yrs?
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The question I have is: if you CAN eat more than 1200 calories/day and still lose weight, why wouldn't you?

Would you lose the same amount of weight in the same amount of time by eating more cals? I think the obvious answer is no. So that could be one reason.

What's the rush? The loss of lean body mass associated with accelerated weight loss is enough of a reason to take it slow and steady, IMO. Eating at a more "normal" level also helps teach you good, healthy, manageable behaviours for maintenance and long-term success.

I don't think a pound a week is rushing it. It's enough to keep you motivated.

there are LOTS of people on here that eat a lot more than 1200 calories on here that are losing a pound a week on average.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The question I have is: if you CAN eat more than 1200 calories/day and still lose weight, why wouldn't you?

The question is what if you can't lose weight eating more than 1200?

the question is... have you tried for more than a week or 2?
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I do 1200 maybe a little more if I really workout but it has not stopped me......I joined the site in 2010 but only started my journey this past August 2012 so I think we all are individual and not everything works for everybody you really need to tweak to find what is suited for you.........IMHO
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I started here at the end of August, on my 49th birthday. I am 5'6" and other than riding my bike 3-4 days a week, I am fairly sedentary. My TDEE is around 1700, so 1200 a day gives me a fairly steady 1 pound a week loss.

Of course, for a 25 yo male, or even active female, 1200 would not be appropriate long term, or perhaps even short term.
    If your TDEE is 3000, then you can eat 2000 cals a day and lose 2 pounds a week. But that is not the case for many people.

I have been staying around 1200 for the past 7 months and have lost almost 40 pounds in that time. I still have about 40 more to go, so I will stay at this level for another 20 pounds or so, then start working my way up to maintenance level, which should be around 1500-1600 for me when I get to goal weight.
    If I could lose 1 pound a week while eating more, then I would probably relax a bit, but that is not the case for me. Over the holidays I ate around 1500 a day, and stalled for several weeks, even with increasing my exercise a bit. I ended up overdoing the exercise and my back went out so I reduced my cals back to 1200 while I was recovering, and was happy to see the weight loss return. I have been losing 1 pound a week steadily ever since. I keep my exercise in moderation now and it is working just fine.

The trick is making those calories count. I shoot for 90-100 gr of Protein (360-400 cals) and 50 g of healthy fats (450 cals) per day which leaves 350-400 cals of high fiber veggies and fruit to bulk up the meals.
    I eat 3 meals (around 300c each) plus 2-4 snacks per day, and feel like I am eating all day long.
    I don't go hungry, don't binge or crave carbs, and have more energy and strength than I have had for years.

You have to find the calorie level and food/exercise plan that works for YOU. You can't compare yourself to someone else, or depend on an online calculator to tell you what is right for you and your situation.

Because you eat less and exercise less, doesn't mean you are lazy.
    Because you eat more and exercise more, doesn't mean you don't have self discipline.

Figure out what works best for you, and ignore the noise.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I think 1200 cals has worked for me in the past because it has built in binge protection. I'm thinking I need to take my splurges into account. 1600 should work, but not if I eat 3000 every Saturday, you know?
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    No. I eat 3200 calories a day and stil lose right at .5 a pound a week. Unless you're 4'11" or you have to for medical purposes, I see no point in eating a 1200 calorie diet. Especially if you're working out as well.

This^^^

I am 4'10" tall and 49 years old, so when I do not exercise I need to stay at 1200 calories or below. If I exercise I allow myself to eat back about half of my exercise calories.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I did this for a bit when I wasn't lifting. I would do cardio a few days a week and hike on saturdays. Stopped drinking. I lost 16 pounds in a bout 2 months.

It works pending on what you are doing and really isn't that bad if you know how to eat correctly.

Now that I lift all the time, I eat a lot more to feed my muscles.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I believe I am a 1200 success story ....... I lost my first 28 lbs eating at around 1200 cals, it took me 3 months eating that low, then I maintained it for a year .... I still had more weight to lose so I am back to lose the rest of it ... but this time (at it 2 months already) Im eating higher (1600) and so far seem to be losing also ..... The reason I am eating higher cals this time round is because my life is much more active than it was.............. I'm 5'6"
  • gtslow
    gtslow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the negative reactions towards eating 1200 calories or less comes from men who naturally are burning more calories or people of significant height and muscle mass compared to shorter women. Why would a woman who is 4'11" burn nearly the same number of calories as I do being a 200 pound male at around 20% body fat at a height of 5'10"? The common sense answer is they wouldn't. It makes for a lot less room to play with your diet for smaller women which I can definitely sympathize with.
  • n0shitsherl0ck
    Options

Would you lose the same amount of weight in the same amount of time by eating more cals? I think the obvious answer is no. So that could be one reason.

It's not a race, why do you HAVE to lose weight FAST? You don't.

ACTUALLY yes, I do, for surgical reasons.
    Don't assume people are all trying to do it at their own pace, for any given reason, they may need/want to lose it fast.

Edit: I don't personally religiously keep to 1200 cal diet, sometimes I eat less out of sheer circumstances that the food I eat isn't necessarily high cal.
    My point still stands, if people want to keep to a 1200 cal diet to lose weight fast, be that perhaps a non-healthy decision, then they will regardless of your input.
  • karen34684
    Options
    I am eating 1200 or less and have lost 21 pounds in 20 weeks. I walk about 1 mile per day at a fast/moderate pace. I snack at work on carrots, celery, green peppers, to keep food in my stomach and don't feel deprived at all.