any 1200 calorie success stories?

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    1200 a day. No, I am starving if I eat 1800 a day. That is so little for me I don't know how I could possibly function at all. Unless it was to raid the fridge to binge.
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    I don't know how anyone can stick to this amount for more than a couple of weeks, especially if you're exercising. I'd say aim for something closer to 1500 a day. Yes, it will take longer to lose weight, but it won't be nearly as miserable and it's something you can stick with for longer.

If you hit a plateau, try 1200 for a week or so. Or you can do one day of 1500 and one day of 1200.

I think losing weight and getting healthy is about finding a diet you can stick to long term, and a 1200 a day diet is the MINIMUM someone needs just to survive. Eat more!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    1200 a day plus eating back most of my exercise stories is working for me with no issues. Because I eat back the exercise calories, it is really 1600-1800 per day. Because I am not that tall and close to 50, 1200 is pretty close to my TDEE - 20%.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    1200 a day. No, I am starving if I eat 1800 a day. That is so little for me I don't know how I could possibly function at all. Unless it was to raid the fridge to binge.
    Is MFP telling you to eat 1200? I ask because I am under the impression that MFP only tells people with a small amount to lose, to eat at 1200 net cals.
    I dont think we would be in the same bracket as far as MFP advised calories.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 net cals and i'm almost at my goal weight. I've stuck to it for 1 year, i dont see any problem with it.

I ate 1200 net cals until I hit my goal (it took about a year) and I'm now increasing to maintenance: 1500 kcal on average. I hit 400 consecutive days on MFP over the weekend so... yeah, it's definitely do-able. My only difficult patch was when I increased the calories first to 1300 and then to 1400. Both times it took my body and mind a month to get used to the new rhythm: I was cranky, ravenous, upset, tired... But, that's passed and now I'm at 1400 during the week, with treats in the weekend.
  • sarbear1993
    Options
    I don't understand how people say its not effective for long term success...of course you won't always eat 1200...once you reach your goal you'll need to up your intake to maintain, right??
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I would like to see a thread about 1200 calorie success stories of over, say, 5 years. If you are morbidly obese the health problems associated with the weight probably outweigh the long term effects of under eating. I find that the extreme, arguably unhealthy methods of weight loss have the most dogmatic people in the group. These are the groups where the snowflakes seem to land. They are different and the science doesn't apply. I have determined that in the end, that for whatever reason, they must deny themselves food. Perhaps it's a badge of honor to them to say they only ate 1200 calories. I have serious doubts that anyone sustains it for years, much less for a lifetime. Too much risk for me long term. Slow and steady for me, but I'm not a snowflake.

Sure you are and you seem to be the special special snowflake. What you refuse to see is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. No matter what is supposed to happen to everyone does NOT happen. If that were the case we'd all have cancer or no one would. We'd all be fat or no one would. We'd all lose weight eating a certain amount or we'd never need to worry about it. Everyone is different and we are all special snowflakes, EVEN YOU. And give us time for the 5 years to get here, we'll show you, maybe not all of us, but in all honesty even you people who eat more than 1200 will fail and go back to enjoying 4000 calories a day. Maybe not all of you but some sure will. Eating 1200 has nothing to do with failing and giving up, it has to do with getting tired of having to watch what you eat day in and day out. It has to do with the person and their ability to maintain so yes even folks from EMTWL group will certainly fail. Maybe even you.

No, I am not a snowflake and you probably aren't one either. Science doesn't discriminate. There is a reason you won't find many, if any people who eat 1200 over 5 years, because they are not out there. I may fail, but it won't be because I deluded myself into thinking starving myself was the proper approach or listening to people who lost over a short period of time and called it a success. Osteoporosis is a real scientific condition, and under nourished people are at higher risk for it. You go ahead, I think I will just eat and keep my bone mass.

No you will fail because you've deluded yourself into thinking that eating all those calories that made you overweight to begin with is still the way to go. You can still get in the right nutrients eating 1200 calories after all your only eating that amount until you reach your goal weight then you will up your calories to a sustainable amount. NO ONE will eat that low for the rest of their lives because once we hit goal weight we will have to increase the amounts so that we just maintain. DUH!!!! I got this but thank you very much. And science does not discriminate is bs because again if that were true for everyone we'd all have cancer or non of us would, we'd all be overweight or non of us would. What works for you may not work for me because my body reacts differently to certain things than your body does.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! It worked for me. I did 1200 for 3 months until I hit my goal and then I upped it to 2050 for maintenance (unless I exercise, then I eat those back as well). You dont have to stay at 1200 for any extended period of time. Hit your goal, then up your cals to a nice maintenance level. Good luck to you!!
  • melissagordon85
    melissagordon85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lost 55 lbs on a 1200cal diet. Give or take a few days of breaking it. lol. Don't stress out. Just get yourself back on track. If this low cal diet taught me anything, it would be discipline. Be a little more discriminating when you're deciding what to consume. 1200, 1400, or 2000, I think what we're all after is a change in thinking; eventually, a change in body as well. :smile:
  • strippedandvital
    strippedandvital Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've lost (and kept off) over 40 lbs doing 1200-1300 calories for the past 2 years.
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I stay around 1200 calories a day +/-......before180sideoverlay_zpsfb8f9edb.jpg

Love how you did this picture, going to steal your idea (hope ok)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I would like to see a thread about 1200 calorie success stories of over, say, 5 years. If you are morbidly obese the health problems associated with the weight probably outweigh the long term effects of under eating. I find that the extreme, arguably unhealthy methods of weight loss have the most dogmatic people in the group. These are the groups where the snowflakes seem to land. They are different and the science doesn't apply. I have determined that in the end, that for whatever reason, they must deny themselves food. Perhaps it's a badge of honor to them to say they only ate 1200 calories. I have serious doubts that anyone sustains it for years, much less for a lifetime. Too much risk for me long term. Slow and steady for me, but I'm not a snowflake.

Sure you are and you seem to be the special special snowflake. What you refuse to see is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. No matter what is supposed to happen to everyone does NOT happen. If that were the case we'd all have cancer or no one would. We'd all be fat or no one would. We'd all lose weight eating a certain amount or we'd never need to worry about it. Everyone is different and we are all special snowflakes, EVEN YOU. And give us time for the 5 years to get here, we'll show you, maybe not all of us, but in all honesty even you people who eat more than 1200 will fail and go back to enjoying 4000 calories a day. Maybe not all of you but some sure will. Eating 1200 has nothing to do with failing and giving up, it has to do with getting tired of having to watch what you eat day in and day out. It has to do with the person and their ability to maintain so yes even folks from EMTWL group will certainly fail. Maybe even you.

No, I am not a snowflake and you probably aren't one either. Science doesn't discriminate. There is a reason you won't find many, if any people who eat 1200 over 5 years, because they are not out there. I may fail, but it won't be because I deluded myself into thinking starving myself was the proper approach or listening to people who lost over a short period of time and called it a success. Osteoporosis is a real scientific condition, and under nourished people are at higher risk for it. You go ahead, I think I will just eat and keep my bone mass.

No you will fail because you've deluded yourself into thinking that eating all those calories that made you overweight to begin with is still the way to go. You can still get in the right nutrients eating 1200 calories after all your only eating that amount until you reach your goal weight then you will up your calories to a sustainable amount. NO ONE will eat that low for the rest of their lives because once we hit goal weight we will have to increase the amounts so that we just maintain. DUH!!!! I got this but thank you very much. And science does not discriminate is bs because again if that were true for everyone we'd all have cancer or non of us would, we'd all be overweight or non of us would. What works for you may not work for me because my body reacts differently to certain things than your body does.

you seem HANGRY
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    bump
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

and YOU, yes.. YOU, your diary scares me. You eat at MOST 900 calories in a day, in the past 2 weeks, you were generally netting like 500 calories a DAY. there was a day i saw that you ate 700 some, and then you burned 600 some from exercise. i had to stop looking at that point. how on earth do you think that its healthy for a grown adult to eat that few of calories? Whatever metabolism you have left, hates you.
  • SallyZeits
    Options
    I am also doing 1200 calories and finding it works for me. About every 3 days I do bump it up a little bit (to maybe 1500 calories) but then I go back down to 1200. It seems to 'trick' my body into feeling I am not trying to starve it.

I'm also exercising a little longer. Adding a few extra minutes to the treadmill each week seems to help too. I'm still not able to go too long (16 minutes) because of some health issues, but I have noticed bumping from 10 minutes to 16 minutes a day is already changing my weight loss.

I've found a couple of great snacks to help keep me full on the 1200 calorie diet too. No sugar jello only has 5 calories per serving! And no-fat pudding only about 70. I found these 'soy' snacks from a company called Great Circle which look like rice-cakes but taste like popcorn! 19 crisps, only 120 calories!

Good luck! Keep up the good fight!
  • amynicole0410
    Options
    I'm happily consuming 1200ish/day and having success. I eat a LOT of plants, hard boiled eggs, lean meat, limit alcohol and try to limit processed foods and I stay pretty full. If I really want more food, I eat more, but that's fairly rare. Also, I exercise daily.

I'm getting close to my goal weight, so once I get there, I'll slowly up my calorie intake and work more on toning and maintaining over losing.
  • tmauck4472
    Options

and YOU, yes.. YOU, your diary scares me. You eat at MOST 900 calories in a day, in the past 2 weeks, you were generally netting like 500 calories a DAY. there was a day i saw that you ate 700 some, and then you burned 600 some from exercise. i had to stop looking at that point. how on earth do you think that its healthy for a grown adult to eat that few of calories? Whatever metabolism you have left, hates you.

Don't look at my diary if I scare you so bad. You have no clue as to how I should be going about my eating.

What I do is not any of your business. And my metabolism works just fine, still losing 10 lbs a month so yeah my metabolism works just fine thank you very much. Imagine that over a year of eating the way I eat and I'm still going strong, goes against what you say should happen to me, shows you know nothing about what your talking about. I have tons of energy, and I workout 3 or so times a week. This is how I know what I'm talking about, it works for me and my doctor is thrilled with what I'm doing because I'm no longer morbildy obese. I was very unhealthy at 413lbs and at 228lbs I'm so much healthier and happier. And the doc's have no desire to change what I'm doing. WHY you ask, well because at 413 lbs I was at risk for a multitude of health issues and while I may still develope some issues they will nothing to do with my weight. I did not have WLS but eat the way they eat for me not for you and I don't give two figs what you think. I eat very clean and very healthy which is way better than what I was eating before this change. Not a one of these people care what you think or say because you are not our doctors(nor are you anyone's)you are only someone who thinks they know everything there is to know about weight loss. Why do the EMTWL people get so nasty when someone disagrees with the their thinking, and why did you feel the need to check out MY diary? Why do you think my diary is any of YOUR business? I don't ask you to eat the way I do and I don't ask anyone else to eat the way I eat. I do this for me, you do what you got to do for you but please please please understand it's not for everyone.

And if you want to contiue this conversation take it private, because I'm done on this page with you anyways. The OP wanted to hear success stories not EMTWL people with attitudes.
  • tmauck4472
    Options

you seem HANGRY

LMAO no I'm only defending my belief. I have the right. Why do you assume I'm hungry or angry. Well I'm angry but only because of people like you trying to shove down my throat unwanted advice on what I should be doing I'm pretty sure that's unwanted calories and I've logged for the day and don't need extra. I don't get angry because I'm hungry I just go get food, like the rest of the human beings in this world. But you are giving me a headache, thanks bunches for that.