Less Meat

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    And for anyone who is full blown Vegetarian or Vegan - Does it get ackward if you are invited to some kind of social gathering that involves food? IE Someone invites you over for dinner, or company Christmas Party or something?

Not unless people are jerks about it and take it as an opp to make stupid jokes.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Ultimately, if you want to be vegetarian go vegetarian ... but don't swap between being vegetarian and not being vegetarian.

Well as for right now I'm not going vegetarian, just eating many vegetarian meals. I think that morally I'm ok with consuming animal flesh, so long as it's rare. If everyone who eats meat, limited it to only once a week for example, then we wouldn't have such a problem with this massive industry treating animals so poorly. At least that's how I feel right now. But I'm evolving as a person all the time. I may eventually go full blown vegetarian, or maybe even one day Vegan. We'll see how it goes.

One of the best arguments I've seen FOR a vegan diet is that we now have the technology to do so much more with food, that we don't HAVE to eat animal products anymore. We can ship in produce from anywhere, we can even make veggy burgers that taste much better than they did 10 years ago, and my son eats corndogs that are meat-free... and they taste JUST like corn dogs! It's pretty cool how we as a society have grown.

The term you are looking for is flexitarian since you still plan on eating meat but not much.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Ultimately, if you want to be vegetarian go vegetarian ... but don't swap between being vegetarian and not being vegetarian.

Well as for right now I'm not going vegetarian, just eating many vegetarian meals. I think that morally I'm ok with consuming animal flesh, so long as it's rare. If everyone who eats meat, limited it to only once a week for example, then we wouldn't have such a problem with this massive industry treating animals so poorly. At least that's how I feel right now. But I'm evolving as a person all the time. I may eventually go full blown vegetarian, or maybe even one day Vegan. We'll see how it goes.

One of the best arguments I've seen FOR a vegan diet is that we now have the technology to do so much more with food, that we don't HAVE to eat animal products anymore. We can ship in produce from anywhere, we can even make veggy burgers that taste much better than they did 10 years ago, and my son eats corndogs that are meat-free... and they taste JUST like corn dogs! It's pretty cool how we as a society have grown.

The term you are looking for is flexitarian since you still plan on eating meat but not much.

Or you could do away with labels and just eat what you want, when you want.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for a long time 8+ years.

I didn't have any problems/sickness when starting to eat meat again, but keep a low intake for a while which may have helped
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat beef from the age of 19-30. I only eat a little chicken and lots of fish. I still don't eat pork. I started eating beef again after I had my son. My ob/gyn said I was anemic and I couldn't digest the iron pills she gave me. I got kidney stones shortly there after. I would recommend you keep going on the route you are on. Keeping a little bit of all meats in your diet.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.gnolls.org/1444/does-meat-rot-in-your-colon-no-what-does-beans-grains-and-vegetables/
    http://www.gnolls.org/2893/always-be-skeptical-of-nutrition-headlines-or-what-red-meat-consumption-and-mortality-pan-et-al-really-tells-us/

http://rawfoodsos.com/category/china-study/ (This is a list of articles - please read through them)

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/12/15/new-china-study-links-wheat-with-weight-gai/ (go through her list of articles on her blog. She's young but that means that what she has learned is still fresh in her head and she doesn't have any conflicts of interest of established reputation or bias like most older "scholars" that have a bunch of letters after their names)

Above: the kidney stones aren't from meat. They are from the body's inability to get rid of calcium (try today's high-sugar equivalent diet. That will do more to your kidney health than red meat). Interesting that my mom suffered kidney stones and she has never been a red meat eater, or a chicken or turkey eater. Only white fish that doesn't taste like fish and occasional ham steak.

I eat mostly red meat. Poultry and pork is okay but humans have been eating red meat for a long, long, long time. We had no choice when the rain forests disappeared and we were forced onto the savannah. It's the reason why our body runs on fat (well it's supposed to. These days, the human body is so used to fast burning sugar that it will cry out for that every couple of hours and it doesn't know what to do with fat anymore. Yet fat is critical to life. Protein is critical to life. Carbohydrates are not a requirement. The body will make glucose in the absence of carbs in the diet)
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    And for anyone who is full blown Vegetarian or Vegan - Does it get ackward if you are invited to some kind of social gathering that involves food? IE Someone invites you over for dinner, or company Christmas Party or something?

Yes. It's just something you learn to deal with. Sometimes I have to be picky and if a restuarant doesn't have a meatless option I will try to sway the group elsewhere. I try not to be pushy about it because it's my personal choice. It's doable; definitely not easy, especially if you live in the south.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I don't understand this. Why would anyone want to give up meat unless there is a pressing medical reason? (And don't tell me " meat is murder", etc., because that is bull****.) Beans are okay at best. Nothing tastes better than rare beef or lamb. And I'm looking forward to raising some Muscovy ducklings for butchering in the fall. Best tasting duck ever!. Fish...I hate fish and won't eat it, with the rare exception of salmon.

I don't see the point in posting this.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That's not true for me. I follow a vegan diet 95% of the time, but I eat meat occasionally... maybe once a quarter or less. It doesn't bother my digestive tract, it just makes me feel sort of... heavy. If I eat something really fatty, it will make me feel ill, though, so just choose your meat with your healthy eating glasses on.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Ha some of these posts are a riot in here. :wink:

I keep vegetarian during the week and only eat meat products on the weekends, but often I go the whole weekend without any meat products too. For example, this past weekend: Friday for dinner I made butternut squash soup using some homemade chicken broth from my freezer and I also made tuna fish and potato cakes for dinner (served over sauteed spinach). That was I swear the meatiest meal I've had in quite some time. Saturday I didn't eat any meat except one leftover fish cake. And Sunday I had sushi for dinner so some fish there, too. The weekend before we went out of town to NYC for fun and I did not eat any meat that whole weekend.

Play around and figure out what works for you. I don't think you need to worry about getting sick if you eat meat unless you suddenly eat like 2 pounds of beef in one sitting or some other obscene quantity.

If you do decide to go full force vegetarian or vegan the best solution when a guest is to tell the host you will be bringing a dish to pass that meets your dietary restrictions. That way you will have something to eat and you won't put too much pressure on the host for feeding you. Unless they are okay making you a special meal that meets your restrictions.

Cheers! :flowerforyou:
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I feel like it's only awkward when people seem to be scrambling over what to feed me. If they just let me figure it out, it's usually a lot better. I can almost always find something to eat. If I think that I won't, I'll eat beforehand or offer to bring a dish.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I love the flexitarian concept, far more than going to either extreme. I still eat, and enjoy, vegetarian food, and I eat meat. It's healthy. It saves money. If most people did it, we could make better use of the limited resources in the world, without compromising our personal health.
  • crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and websites guys! And Also thanks for the term "Flexitarian". I may not use that label all the time, but it helps to know what it means and might more easily convey to someone else what I'm talking about.

And to whoever says that "Meat is Murder is Bull****" - would you care to actually discuss this topic or are you just trolling? Because there are cases where meat is fine, (According my current set of standards), like Kobe Beef, free range chickens, etc. It's not the killing that I have issue with, it's the suffering that disturbs me. In the immortal words of Peter Steel, "Everything Dies". However, that doesn't mean everything needs to live a life full of suffering.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Meat is meat....,........ and animal fibers can not be replaced with veggie crap! Protein rules!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yes, I heard this too. I was vegetarian for almost 8 years. When I began eating meat again, I had different kinds all at once: lamb, chicken, beef, shrimp. Neither I or my husband got sick. Maybe it's like that for some people, but it was not our experience AT ALL. I think it's more likely a mental thing.

There is nothing inherent about the human body that would cause it to reject meat.
    I've heard that if you stop eating meat, after awhile your body will no longer be able to process it and you'll get sick if you try to eat it.... anyone ever heard the same?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Meat is meat....,........ and animal fibers can not be replaced with veggie crap! Protein rules!!!!!:bigsmile:

Meat doesn't contain fiber LOL
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you stop eating meat, after awhile your body will no longer be able to process it and you'll get sick if you try to eat it.... anyone ever heard the same?

I was raised vegetarian from the time I was an infant. I decided I wanted to eat meat when I was a teenager. I never got sick from eating meat, even the first time.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Geniune question here, not trying to be awkward, what's the difference between flexitarian and onivore?
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My meat is chicken. I hardly eat red meat and I'm trying to eat more fish. Regarding your questions for vegetarians and vegans on parties, etc. I've noticed that some places that I go, they always have something for them whether it's a pasta dish, additional green salads or vegetable dish, etc.. I work with a vegetarian and if we have a party, we always make sure to have extra vegetables or something for her. But I have tasted some vegetarian meals and some are tasty. I was thinking of getting a vegetarian cookbook to try out some recipes.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Flexitarian is a term that defines those who lean more heavily toward a plant-based diet with very limited/occasional meat – sort of a semi-vegetarian. Omnivore just describes people who eat both plant and animal foods.