Questions for the Coffee Drinkers....

Options
How many of you who have lost weight continued to drink coffee during your weight loss program? I would not say I am a heavy coffee drinker, (maybe 2 - 3 cups per day) and I never put cream or sugar in it. Have any of you continued to lose weight while drinking coffee? If so, what did you put in it, cream, sugar or coffee whitener? I have a hard time giving up coffee - I tried and I was grumpy and tired. There are also a lot of mixed opinions on coffee promoting or inhibiting weight loss that I am unsure of.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    black Coffee has ZERO nutritional value.

It can aid weight-loss due to it's caffiene content which is a hunger suppressant. So you don't need to kick it. Enjoy it.
  • ILOVEFWANKWIN
    Options
    I am a HUGE coffee drinker. I'd say 200 of my precious calories go towards that habit. Some days I have a sweetened creamer, others I have 1/2 & 1/2. Recently, I've been watering down the creamers with milk. I still have a Starbucks coffee now and then, just ask for less pumps of sugar and 2% milk. It hasn't hindered my loss at all. I just make room for it :)
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee daily and have lost 30 pounds. I drink my coffee black, so there is only like 2 calories per cup.

Unfortuantely, this isn't the first time I've lost weight. I lost 67 pounds back in 2008 and drank coffee that whole time, too. My coffee has always been black. However, I drank lattes at this time, too.

As long as you track the calories, I honestly don't thin it matters!
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've lost this 15lbs never going a day without coffee.

I don't put anything in it. I buy beans in bulk from a restaurant supply outlet, grind them right before I use them and I brew them in a coffee press.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I cut back from maybe 6 - 8 cups a day to 2 - 3, but otherwise didn't change my coffee consumption. I only put artificial sweetener in it, though, so it's not a big calorie hit.
    ETA: I've lost around 30 pounds without quitting coffee; I just cut back a bit based on my doctor's advice at my last physical (after I'd already lost 20 pounds or so).
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options
    I drink coffee every day, like you, without anything added to it. I drink less than 16 ounces and haven't noticed any difference when I tried to cut back or cut it out. Perhaps for the caffeine sensitive it messes with their ability to detect satiation or affects mood stability. But if you're losing and it's not causing other health problems, drink up!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have continued to drink coffee since I started getting serious about losing weight. I drink about 2-3 cups a day, and use sugar-free creamer and calorie-free sweetener. I have still lost weight. Just avoid the calorie heavy lattes and stuff.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Sitting here enjoying my coffee as I type. PPL wouldn't like me much without it! lol I've met my goal weight while drinking coffee. Sometimes fully loaded with sugar and creamer. Most of the time black. As long as it fits your macros for the day Drink up and :drinker:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 2 cups each morning and have lost 40lbs. I used to add Splenda and 30 cal per T. creamer to it. Now I add fat free half and half with my own vanilla bean seeds added to it. 10 cals per tablespoon.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I actually switched to drinking coffee because I cut out sodas but still needed a caffeine fix. As long as you aren't putting cream and sugar in it then it has next to no nutritional value, and if you are doing keto the diuretic qualities are a plus.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have never stopped and will never stop drinking coffee.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've always drank coffee. I usually drink it black during the week and sometimes on the weekends I will go to Starbucks and treat myself to a nonfat iced caramel macchiato. It has never slowed my weight loss.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't care for coffee and have a low caffiene tolerance, so I don't drink it. However, my husband has continued his 2-cup a day habit throughout his weight loss and has had great success. He always drinks it black and likes the mildly flavored options, like pecan.
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I drink two cups every morning with a FF French Vanilla creamer in it. I have lost over 75 lbs and still drinking coffee.
  • jjuullzz
    jjuullzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a MUST for me! I don't care for it black, so I usually use low fat or fat free Coffeemate, and a packet of Splenda (10 cal/TBSP). Recently, I've been using the Coffeemate Natural Bliss Low Fat Vanilla (20 cal/TBSP). Delicious, and I don't need the Splenda. I say as long as you aren't getting frappaccino's from Starbuck's, a few cups a day with your usual isn't going to make you or break you. Happy sipping!!
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffe with milk and vanilla milkshake protein powder instead of sugar. Blend it with a hand whisker from IKEA for $3. If it's really frothy it passes for a latte (I used to have lots of Starbucks vanilla lattes until I came up with this substitute).

I get my protein, reduce the sugar, and stay satsified :) and have lost inches and weight.
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is actually good for the body from what I've heard! I buy the k cups for my keurig and drink 1-3 cups per day. I buy the flavored coffee that has 0-2 calories in it. Sometimes I put stevia in it or a little unsweetened coconut almond milk blend. I used to only be able to drink it loaded w/ cream and sugar but I prefer it this way now. Also, I'm addicted to iced coffee from McDonald's or Starbucks. I just ask for it unsweetened w/ sugar free vanilla syrup and no cream! Voila, good coffee, low calorie!! :) Hope this helps!
  • LilLadyBug91
    Options
    I paid well over $100 for my Keurig.. so I HAVE to keep drinking my coffee lol. Plus coffee in moderation is good for you! I always have 1 cup a day with Sugar Free Hazelnut Creamer (35 calories) and 3 packets of equal sweetener. So yummy!! Don't deprive yourself :-)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I drink it daily. I don't use cream or sweetener, but I do put a spoonful of organic unsweetened cocoa powder and a bit of cinnamon.

ETA: 2 cups every morning.
  • jboss1989
    jboss1989 Posts: 25
    Options
    I cannot live without coffee. Often I will manage in the morning without, but then have some shortly before I head to the gym. I find it really helps me to work out a bit longer and harder. I just drink it black. There's not a lot of value to it besides the caffeine, but as long as I don't drink 6 cups a day or load it with extras I see no reason why I shouldn't drink it.