Questions for the Coffee Drinkers....

Options

Replies

• bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I did, each time during the last 30 years that I've had to go on lower calorie eating. and i always added honey. i just count the honey calories and the 8 calories of the coffee. not giving up my coffee
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I drink coffee daily with creamer...can't help it. I'm still losing. I am doing it as a favor to everyone around me!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I stll drink it but I've cut back. I have one in the morning, with sugar free vanilla creamer and that's all.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day. Usually 2 cups on work days. 1 while I'm getting ready and 1 in a travel mug. I add a little cream and sugar. I have continued to lose weight while drinking coffee and I never log my coffee, cream or sugar either. I never have and it hasn't affected my progress at all.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coffee and drink it every day with Almond milk in it. Almond milk is low in calories and high in Calcium!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I should add that I do log my coffee if I stop and get a mocha or latte somewhere but those events are few and far between....
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have one cup of organic Costa Rican coffee from Cafe Britt every day with a 1/2 of a mini container of French Vanilla International Delight and 3 teaspoons of sugar. It's a habit I started about 2 years ago. I spent 60 years of my life never drinking coffee and now I don't know how I ever managed without it. I don't like all coffees though. I've just begun my weight loss journey (this time) and it doesn't appear to be hindering my results so far. If I stop losing what I feel is appropriate, I'll ditch the coffee, but for now, its how I begin my day. And it fills me up.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    How many of you who have lost weight continued to drink coffee during your weight loss program? I would not say I am a heavy coffee drinker, (maybe 2 - 3 cups per day) and I never put cream or sugar in it. Have any of you continued to lose weight while drinking coffee? If so, what did you put in it, cream, sugar or coffee whitener? I have a hard time giving up coffee - I tried and I was grumpy and tired. There are also a lot of mixed opinions on coffee promoting or inhibiting weight loss that I am unsure of.
    Coffee does not make you gain weight. Excess calories make you gain weight. I have spouts of drinking no coffee for months to drinking 5 cups a day. None of it has made me gain weight.

Most of the things on coffee that inhibit weight loss are large quantities of it that have cream in it...ie...it's causing a calorie surplus. Eat what you like, figure out what your TDEE is (that's not the goal on mfp) and eat below it. You'll lose weight no matter what you eat. I prefer things with nutrients in it.
  • jayne8628
    Options
    Drinking it with the protein powder is interesting! I might have to try that with my vanilla whey powder. Thanks!
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Since starting my weight loss efforts I have made the following changes as far as coffee goes

1. No milk, no sweetener. First cup, after breakfast, I find a mix of Senseo Classic and Mild, using the 2 cup setting to make one mug, is very acceptable.
    2. Lunchtime, either a second cup, filter machine, mild or a herbal tea
    3. No caffeinated drinks after 6pm. Ever.

I've done OK on that.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee! I haven't cut it out completely, but I have cut down. Instead of 2 pots a day now I drink half a pot. I don't use creamer or sugar in it, straight coffee only. I have lost 21lbs since January, so I don't think it is taking a toll on my progress.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 or more cups of coffee daily, with real sugar and sweetened almond milk. I currently weigh 102 lbs. Coffee has definitely not stopped me from losing weight.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I was one of those ppl that had to have massive amounts of cream and sugar in my coffee, when I started in Jan I just stopped drinking it and (soda) but being a mom of 4 kids I have to have caffeine, so I am now and always will be a black coffee drinker.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I drink it each morning with powdered creamer and artificial swetner. Not too many calories that way. Liquid creamers have more calories.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    black Coffee has ZERO nutritional value.

It can aid weight-loss due to it's caffiene content which is a hunger suppressant. So you don't need to kick it. Enjoy it.

word...

maybe 2-7 cals per 8 oz. never givin up my Joe.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Never quit drinking it. A pot or better every day.. Black no additional items like cream or sugar....
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can go through an entire pot in a day. I quit smoking, I quit wheat, I quit sugar. Take away my coffee and people are going to get hurt.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Caffeine increases your metabolism, so it's actually good for your diet. Since I can rarely be bothered with fixing coffee in the morning, I often take caffeine pills instead. Just make sure you don't negate the benefit by loading up on sugar and cream.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I drink coffee nearly every day and have managed to lose just over 20 lbs. I only ever just add a bit of milk (preferably skim) to it. I'm not sure I understand the stigma around coffee and health though...in my opinion it's an all around miracle drink because it gives you enery, curbs your hunger, keeps you regular, barely has any calories and tastes great... what's not to love abuot it? I guess there's the whole moderation thing but 1-2 cups a day I don't think is over doing it.
  • ashleyq21
    ashleyq21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a moderate to heavy coffee drinker, although I've tried to cut back a little since I prefer cream and sugar, which is where the calories come from. I have found switching from dairy creamers to coconut milk creamers has helped lessen the calories a little, and I actually prefer the taste.

I haven't found that it's prevented me from losing weight, though. I just count it in with the rest of my nutrient and caloric intake.