Hatred of Sounds

Options
theCarlton
theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
My family used to think I was just an a-hole for hating the sounds of people eating or breathing. Turns out, they were right, I am one. BUT that condition has a name: Misophonia. Who knew? Do you hate certain sounds/noises? Which ones drive you to the brink of insanity?

http://misophonia.info/symptoms-and-triggers

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I hate the rattle of my cellphone in the treadmill's cupholder
    And I hate when people make the lipsmacking noise while eating
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I hate the sound of snow falling.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    There aren't certain sounds that I hate, but I can't stand to hear two sounds simultaneously. For example... TV and radio. NO! And if I'm driving and the radio is on or my window is down... don't try and talk to me.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Heave breathing..................and farting
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I hate that sound of people eating too. Especially people who mouth breathe while they eat.

Also anytime I have macaroni and cheese I just wanna whip it across the room for how f*cking annoying and gross the sound that comes out of it is.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The ticking of a clock/watch & the dripping of a water leak.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally... I hate power jazz. You know... where it's just a cacophony of sounds from various instruments with no rhythym or meter whatsoever... yeah... it sucks!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I hate:

loud breathing
    loud chewing
    loud gulping (think when people are drinking soda from a bottle)
    and especially, loud coughing

I think that about covers it. I have to wear headphones at work.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    My list is like a mile long. I will keep it simple.

The sound of someone struggling to nose-breathe while they eat.
    The sound of moist food being mashed around in someone's mouth.
    Monotonous speech.
    Finger drumming
    actually any repetitive noise
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The sound of lawn equipment, and also the sound of nails being clipped. Especially when I hear that sound in the office. Who clips their nails at work?!?!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    awwwwww.....people hating on sounds.....so lucky.....

(I know i'm an *kitten*)
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    OMG! I have this. I notice heavy breathing through the nose, can't stand the sound of people chewing gum or eating chips. Mouth smacking while eating makes me want to crawl out of my skin. LOL!!!!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It's funny you posted this - my coworker has this same thing and just discovered the Misophonia condition. He can't stand any kind of repetitive noise. He almost has a stroke whenever our other coworker chews gum. LOL

Long story short, you're not alone!

P.S. Husky, I'm the same way - I can't stand two simultaneous competing sounds such as a tv and a radio. My husband will have the TV on while he's watching/listening to something on Youtube a lot of the time - it drives me from the room - LOL!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    People who make exaggerated sucking noises. Like people who suck on a lolipop but sound like a damn toilet low on water.
  • MelanieBHow
    Options
    I hate country music. Makes me want to hurl and immediately makes me angry. My husband finds it humorous, I want to choke him!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    queef.gif
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who hates the sound of people eating. I have to turn the TV or a fan on during dinner. And chewing gum??! Ugh. It sets me right on edge. Sometimes even the sound of my own chewing grosses me out.
    Someone came to test the fire alarm today at work. Causes incessant beeping for about 20-30 minutes right by my cubicle. Yeah, that was productive time.
    Water drippimg from the faucet. Must get up and jiggle the handle till it stops. Same with the toilet running.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    The ticking of a clock...drives me UP THE WALL!! Can't fall asleep, ticking will wake me up...uckkkk, making me shiver just thinking about it...
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    actually any repetitive noise

Mostly this. I also have problems with low bass sounds.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Not to the point of Misophonia, but I do hate the sound of someone eating. Close your mouth when you eat people! Also, the smacking noise some people make when eating makes me want to punch a baby.