Which milk?

Options
Which milk is best for fat loss whilst strength training and eating a small deficit to lose body fat?
Skimmed or whole?

Replies

• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    bump because im interested in this as well
  • bstall1976
    bstall1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    whichever you like and can fit into your daily macros.
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    Before I joined MFP,I found just changing to semi skimmed milk and other small bits helped my weight loss..I don't like the taste of full fat now haha
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk, it tasted good and is low calorie! I agree with the above poster. Drink what you like as long as you fit it into your calorie deficit and macros.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like as long as it fits your macros. I drink 2% white milk and 1% dark chocolate milk
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Vitamin D, but prefer 2%. Skim is just not my style unless its mixed into like a shake or a smoothie, but alone? Never. It's pretty much whatever you prefer taste wise and what fits into your daily eating plan
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i always recommend people eat/drink full fat products because they usually contain less added sugar. fat is what makes things taste good, so when you remove the fat from things, typically sugars get added to balance out the flavor.

also - dietary fat doesn't affect body fat. my diet is 55% fat and I've actually been dropping body fat since adopting it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    i always recommend people eat/drink full fat products because they usually contain less added sugar. fat is what makes things taste good, so when you remove the fat from things, typically sugars get added to balance out the flavor.

also - dietary fat doesn't affect body fat. my diet is 55% fat and I've actually been dropping body fat since adopting it.

*le sigh* There you go with your "added sugar" thing. They do not ADD sugar to lowfat milk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    And, yes. Full fat real milk all the way for me. Better nutrient profile, more nutrition for your $$$.

My fats are set at 45%, and it works.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

*le sigh* There you go with your "added sugar" thing. They do not ADD sugar to lowfat milk.

i didn't ACTUALLY say they did. i said "typically" and referred to low fat products in general. we can talk about the sugar-to-other-macros ratio that's much better in whole than skim if you want
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

X2
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Breast milk, straight from the source. I know this for fact, I'm an IBCLC.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

X2

best movie of the series if you ask me.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Just drink milk! It's milk. Unless you are lactose intolerant, it's fine.
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    Ok cool,I only asked as I was told to switch to full fat from my regular skimmed!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Ok cool,I only asked as I was told to switch to full fat from my regular skimmed!

Whatever milk you like that fits into your macros is just fine.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk, it tasted good and is low calorie! I agree with the above poster. Drink what you like as long as you fit it into your calorie deficit and macros.

I just bought this this weekend to try. Not bad!
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    People bulking generally recommend whole organic milk. Because it's whole and organic...so..ya know. Yeah.

I love milk, however, my body, hates the stuff. I am lactose intolerant. If I wanted to play a horrible prank I would make a 16oz protein shake with whole milk. Oh lord the smells that come out of the human body and truly wretched!

Almond Milk is a good alternative and gives you MORE benefits (oz to oz) than normal milk. It's also something we intolerant folks can drink and is way lower in calories per serving! Draw back? It has less protein, by far than normal milk, with a poultry 1g a serving, vs the usuall 8-9g from whole milk.

But I supplement my protein anyway...sooo I don't care.
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    People bulking generally recommend whole organic milk. Because it's whole and organic...so..ya know. Yeah.

I love milk, however, my body, hates the stuff. I am lactose intolerant. If I wanted to play a horrible prank I would make a 16oz protein shake with whole milk. Oh lord the smells that come out of the human body and truly wretched!

Almond Milk is a good alternative and gives you MORE benefits (oz to oz) than normal milk. It's also something we intolerant folks can drink and is way lower in calories per serving! Draw back? It has less protein, by far than normal milk, with a poultry 1g a serving, vs the usuall 8-9g from whole milk.

But I supplement my protein anyway...sooo I don't care.

Out of interest mate, how can you tell if your lactose intolerant? I bloat after milk and get quite, lets say,gassy and they are usually BAD lol ask my misses! I have milk with my porridge/cereal only!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    well, i will let you answer the question.

The whole milk you get is it:
    a) better tasting than skim?
    b) has vitamin added?
    c) the 30 or so calories extra per cup it has is "affordable" to you?

If the answer to those is yes, then drink the whole milk. To me, the taste doesn't make a difference, the calories difference is menial typically and the vitamin added is beneficial (its not added in skim milk) so I used to drink it when I lived in US. Now that I'm in Asia and they don't add Vitamin, I just drink more skim milk since my calories can afford it :)