have to give up the gym :(

Options
2»

Replies

• liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I gave up my gym membership after I discovered Insanity. Best move ever :drinker:

I, too, love Insanity! Best workout I've ever done, and I I'm a huge proponent of ladies lifting heavy. For non-gym activities, I also love running, yoga (doyogawithme.com is my favorite place for free yoga videos) and using light dumbbells at home (5-, 10- and 15-pounds). There are tons of options out there and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you that you enjoy! Plus, you're gaining time -- no more commuting to and from the gym. Big win.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are a great workout and fairly cheap. I bet you can find them on craigslist dirt cheap.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, I have to get dressed, travel there, wait for my class to start, travel back, figure out breakfast, but now I a, starving

At home, I just stumble out of bed, put on enough clothes to prevent chafe and get started. When I am done, I grab breakfast from the kitchen.

Try out a variety of DVDs from your local library.
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50lbs without the gym, mainly through healthy eating. I even had the membership but never used it, except for an occasional dip in the pool. I didn't renew. Now I've started up some Jillian michaels DVDs, bike riding, walking and I'm a hoop dancer. I don't know what classes you took but a lot of times there may be drop in classes in your area. We have a place here that offers Zumba and a few other things. It's $6 a class. No membership. Come when you have the ime and money. If you really need classes look into places that offer things like that. Some places even offer free community classes as well.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Does 'study' mean he's going back to school? There is a possibilty there will be a gym there. Also, have you talked to the gym? Perhaps you could teach a class or work the front desk an hour or two a week in exchange.
  • skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    gym is good if u can get to one and afford the ridiculous fees !! seriously hun this could be a good thing !!
    do u live near a park or beach ? let the beach be ur gym is my motto !!
    i LOVE workout dvds, u can hire or buy them anc its just a once off price unlike gym!
    do lil tricep dips from the bath or seat, stepping on your steps, buy some ankle/wrist weights, invest in a cross trainer etc down the path...... i lost 23kg without one gym visit so its possible :)
    also i think when u have the spare cash u can go for a day visit ??
    time to turn ur thinking around about it all and workout whats gonna work for you because it is what it is any money sucks but wont be the reason to stop you from reaching goals !:))))
  • wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Everything I've lost to date has been wothout a gym.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I would cancel my gym membership if I had room/money for a Smith Machine and heavy weights at home. You can definitely experience great results from home. I have done P90X, TurboFire, Kettle bells & Dumbbell workouts from home, and videos I've watched through cable OnDemand and Youtube. Stay dedicated and you can do it!
  • dianatogo
    dianatogo Posts: 37
    Options
    Maybe see they are looking for PT help. Our YMCA gives free memberships even if you work just a few hours a week
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You can use freecycle.org to try and get a collection of weights started, and possibly some workout DVD's.
  • PrincessSquee
    Options
    I have yet to set foot in a gym. I've been doing Barry's Bootcamp (love it!) at home, and I'm starting Insanity soon. When given a choice between elevator or stairs, I pick stairs. I park far away from the places I'm going... And most of all, eating well! You can work out all day long at the most expensive gym in the world and if you eat for crap you'll never lose the weight!
  • christocentrist
    Options
    Post deleted for double posting
  • christocentrist
    Options
    I can't afford a gym membership either but my friends have let me use guest passes so I've been able to take some lifting classes and aerobics. Now I'm doing my own version of a circuit in my bedroom - takes anywhere from an hour to two hours to complete, depending on what I throw in the mix. I would say go to a circuit class at your gym for ideas! Or use the Internet!! You don't have to spend a lot of money on equipment to get a good workout!
  • candirose69
    candirose69 Posts: 149
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!

I just bought "you are your own gym" books and got the zombies run app :)
    feeling a lot better about loosing the gym
    I will see if they can give me a better deal because I've been with them for ages!!
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels DVDs (lots of support groups on here if you search, which makes the experience a bit more bearable!) or c25k app are a couple of suggestions.

There are some good workouts you can get free on YouTube as well. Plus if you've got some basics at home like weights or a gym ball. You'll be fine without the gym. :smile: