Is there a "healthier" cheese than the Kraft Singles?

Options

Replies

• rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Sargento makes some deli slices. The thin ones give just enough cheesiness with fewer calories. I love the swiss. Or you can go straight to the meat and cheese counter and they can slice something yummy for you. Ask for it sliced as thin as possible.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Cheese is ok in moderation but I have found sliced cheese for less cals. I just cant remember the name of it. I only get it once in awhile when I crave for grilled cheese.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    weight watchers singles~its 45 calories instead of 60+

That sounds even more frightening than a kraft single!

I'm a big fan of swiss or muenster on sandwiches. When you check out the deli, just ask for a sample slice of different cheeses and see what you like best.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I would choose a semi-hard european style cheese such as Gouda, Edam, Emmental or Jarlsberg as they are a good source of vitamin K2 which helps protect against cancer. You can usually get these ready sliced in the supermarket which I find not only convenient but good for portion control.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about fat content, look for slices of REAL cheese that are made from 2% milk.

I freaking LOVE cheese. It took some retooling of habits, but I have learned how to make it work into my calories/macros. Currently, I'm really into Havarti - a thin slice goes a long way as far as flavor and texture.

If you're not sure what types of cheese you may like, Whole Foods (and also my local grocery store) sells small slivers of the good stuff for a buck or two apiece. It's just the ends that they cut off to make the wrapped pieces pretty. Look in the cheese section - often they will keep the small slices/chunks in little baskets in the cheese case. If all else fails, just ask at the cheese counter if you can try something.

Long story short? Ditch the processed cheese.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Good Heavens! Every non-processed cheese is healthier than Kraft Singles.

THIS! CHEESE would be healthier!
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Im not one of those cheese and wine type snobs. So I get by on Kraft Singles just fine. One type of cheese I absolutely refuse though is imitation cheese, the kind that wont even melt and has plastic texture. Absolutely disgusting. How does anyone even buy that?

Kraft singles is not cheese. Oh the irony!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could buy something like KerryGold cheese. It's real cheese.

KerryGold is AMAZING!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sargento's is a good company
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Kraft has the big slices made with 2%. I like the sharp cheddar. I think it has 60 cals!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Anything besides American cheese. It's not even cheese

OMG THANK YOU. You've been such a big help!

Sorry to be a jerk, but don't you think I knew that? If I didn't know that I probably wouldn't have created a thread entitled "Is there a "Healthier" cheese than the Kraft Singles?

I find this very frustrating. Go to a freaking store. Look at every other cheese in the case that isn't American Cheese. Pick one. Done. They're ALL healthier, and it's a big selection, so I don't understand why you want this thread to list them all.

I was wondering the same thing -- ? Just pick up the cheese and read the label!
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options
    OMG, I live in Wis and wouldn't touch Kraft singles (or any processed cheese product) with 10 ft pole. Try your local deli, they have fresh sliced provolone. Muenster is another good one.

mmmm muenster. my favorite cheese! :D
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options
    Anything besides American cheese. It's not even cheese

OMG THANK YOU. You've been such a big help!

Sorry to be a jerk, but don't you think I knew that? If I didn't know that I probably wouldn't have created a thread entitled "Is there a "Healthier" cheese than the Kraft Singles?

I find this very frustrating. Go to a freaking store. Look at every other cheese in the case that isn't American Cheese. Pick one. Done. They're ALL healthier, and it's a big selection, so I don't understand why you want this thread to list them all.

I was wondering the same thing -- ? Just pick up the cheese and read the label!

My goal was to get input so I dont' have to read EVERY label haha.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Good cheese costs money. I spend $10 for a block of KerryGold but it lasts me like 3 weeks. Worth it. :)

it doesn't expire in like 4 days?
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could buy something like KerryGold cheese. It's real cheese.

KerryGold? I have never heard of it. I will have to check that out.

Kerrygold Cheeses and butter (which is aweseome) are imported from Ireland. They are made from grassfed, free-range cattle. About as pure as you are going to get.

I just started using Kerrygold butter a month or so ago. NEVER going back to any other butter.
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    yes ''Black Diamond fat free cheese slices''....35 calories
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something like Kraft singles but real cheese rather than processed cheese food people have given some great suggestions. If you are trying to branch out and try different cheeses and good way to do that is at a large market that has a cheese section with an attendent....they will give you a taste of different cheeses for free and you can buy as small a quantity as you want.

My suggestion for a healthier sandwich all together is to cook your own turkey or chicken at home, cool, slice thin, and use it for the week of sandwiches. If you don't know how to do this and want more info on cooking it in a simple way, send me a message.

Also get some baby spinach in a package (Walmart or any grocery). Put some leaves of this on your sandwich for good vitamins and micro nutrients in the 'green'. Baby spinach has almost no taste and the flavors of meat, cheese, and miracle whip will totally disguise it.

I applaud your desire to increase the health of your meal plan. Good luck.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Any other actual cheese is healthier than Kraft Singles. How they can pass that ****e off as cheese is beyond me.

Sincerely,

Cheeselovah in MA.
  • elizabethkono
    Options
    4 Words! Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges! Obviously a different texture than sliced cheese, but they have swiss and lots of other flavors... plus only 35 CALS a wedge! Can't beat it, you just spread it on, love them!
  • starcyndycyn
    Options
    Kraft singles are not real cheese. They are so processed, it's basically fake food. Any whole, real cheese is far better.