What do you eat that is low-cal but fills you up?

Options
I have a hard time finding lunches and snacks that are low in cals but don't leave me hungry and wanting to grab something unhealthy. Suggestions?

Replies

• beckrichmond1
    Options
    I usually start with a big glass of crystal light (I can't make myself drink water...generic fruit punch low calorie drink mix is what I usually get). Today, I had a tossed spring mix salad with 1 cup of quinoa cooked, then tossed with balsamic vinegar, garlic, green onion, and sundried tomatoes on top. A few croutons for crunch, and a boiled egg for protein. Eat as slowly as your lunch break allows, as this allows your stomach to begin digesting the food before you've finished eating, and you start to feel full before you've eaten half your meal. I used to only eat until I no longer felt hungry, but I've discovered that stress causes me to lose weight, and I'm under stress right now (school, work, 3 kids, you know the deal) so I force myself to eat at least 3/4 of what's in front of me.

I guess it depends on what makes you feel like you've eaten. Oatmeal should be filling, but I never feel quite full off 1/2 a cup because there's no real chewing. For crunch factor, as snacks I do pistachios or cashews and almonds, popcorn, sliced apples, anything crunchy. I've seen a lot of people eating veggie straws, but I guess you have to do some research on brands because some of them are just potato with food coloring and flavored like veggies. Hope this helps...
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Eat some decent amounts of fat. It's filling and contrary to popular opinion, does not make one fat.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Eggity egg eggs.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Water!!!
    Eggs, chicken breast for protein
    Carrots, celery, tomatoes (you can have a LOT before the calories really start to add up)
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like to bring sliced up cucumbers, or carrots to work, and that keeps me from starving by the time lunch rolls around! I also like greek yogurt, and bonless skinnless chicken breasts I am trying for 12-13 hundred cals a day..... so i find the more raw veggies I eat the easier it is to meet my goals!
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds. The crunch is satisfying and the protein and fat satiate hunger quite well. You could do salty as well if that's something you crave out of a snack.

You don't need many to tide you over for a snack. Half an ounce (10-15 almonds) is about 80 calories.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No such thing
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    pound of strawberries
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I also find having stuff sliced up, or in snack size baggies helps to...its easy to reach for something like that when your hungry and in a hurry...which is when I used to make my worst choices!
  • soundjunkie
    soundjunkie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Simple.....raw veggies.....find one(s) you like. Today I had fresh mushrooms, mini sweet peppers, broccoli, radishes and a garlic dill pickle to salt it up. BELIEVE me - I would not come this far without this trick. I eat a bowl of them in the mid-afternoon and stops my hunger and binging at dinner. I used to eat dinner and then all the way to bed snacking on chips and crap. Now it's a 1/2 cup of lo-fat cottage cheese and cup of fruit for night-time snack.

FRUIT and VEGGIES are your friend.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies are good for mindless grazing or if you really want to feel that physically-full feeling in your stomach but the fat and protein help satiate the hunger better for me.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    protein makes me feel fuller, longer. Eggs, Chicken, etc.
    Carbs are going to make you crash and feel hungry again later.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    - stop trying to lose 40 lbs in 14 weeks. No wonder you're hungry.
    - eat at a deficit to lose 1 lb per week - this will give you enough calories to not feel starved.
    - protein and fats will keep you feeling full for longer - eat them. Fill up the rest of the plate with veg.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    large amounts of uncooked veggies (any kind) will add bulk to your meals and help you to feel full. Also lots of water while you eat and during the day.
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    Healthy choices are veggies, veggies and more veggies. I love beets with a dab of low-fat mayonnaise. Edamame are an excellent choice too. They steam up nicely and you can eat a whole bag for about 200 calories and 6 grams of fat or so....I actually have a hard time eating the whole darn bag. I also try and eat fiber cereal. Giant brand, Fiber select cereal is delicious with sliced strawberries and greek yogurt...you can add a packet of splenda to sweeten up the plain greek yogurt. This is super filling and so healthy. I also love sweet potatoes.

Good luck...don't cave be strong...don't eat those sweets, especially at night. If you must cheat do it early in the day. Little cheats are good to have so you don't have a disaster binge event.

:)
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    Almonds. Eggs. Quest bars.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Vitalicious products, most of them are only 100 calories and very very filling.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Eggs, chicken breast, Zucchini, Squash, Spaghetti squash, broccoli, okra, Carb quik anything, hamburger no bun, pickles, grilled chicken salad with hot mustard, hot sauce, salt-n-pepper and Crisco Olive oil spray http://www.crisco.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?groupID=16&prodID=450

Crisco has 0 calorie olive oil and butter flavor spray that is nice to have around to cook with to cut out calories. I use real butter most all the time but if I need to cut some out that's a way to.
  • beckrichmond1
    Options
    protein makes me feel fuller, longer. Eggs, Chicken, etc.
    Carbs are going to make you crash and feel hungry again later.

Wouldn't you say that the crash and hunger depends on the type of carbs you eat? If I eat a piece of whole wheat toast vs white toast, I feel much more fulfilled and I don't feel that sugar spike and resulting crash. Keep in mind that I'm not here to "lose" weight, but to become more healthy, so I don't really restrict my eating that much. So, I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of "dieting". Carbs are my friend, especially complex carbs. My caloric requirement is 1810. I'm having a hard time meeting that while still eating "healthy" foods, so I'm supplementing with shakes.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Carbmaster yogurt...low on sugar & calories, yet because of the protein, it seems to stay with me.