White Potato...stay away from it or??

Options
hi just interested in what are people's views on this if any...i know many will say sweet potato and i've tried it and i do like it.

My concern is i'm a college student and i'm home on break at the moment and my family often cook white potato for dinner, i don't always have it but feel bad refusing it the whole time however, i'm just wondering if this is a refined carb is it bad for me?

I'm working on reducing upper tummy fat thus limiting my refined carb intake is this hindering my progress, what are everyones elses thoughts on white potato?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Eat the potato, they're delicious. I, literally, eat white potato every single day.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    me too look at my diary.. .every day..I just do not put anything on them but hot sauce
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As long as it fits in your calories, it can be a cheeseburger... it doesn't matter. But in generally, you should aim to get 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass.. outside of that, it really doesn't matter what you eat. Some things provide greater satiety and keep you full longer.
  • calisunrise
    calisunrise Posts: 307
    Options
    stay away from a white potato or it will kidnap you and your family
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Eat it! They're yummy.
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You are better off going with a sweet potato. Great nutrition and they taste amazing. Scrub/wash, poke with fork, cut off ugly parts and microwave for 3.5 minutes on each side. You don't even need butter! Enjoy!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Eat all the fresh baked/broiled/boiled potatoes you want!

Dial down on french fries/potato chips and etc., not because they use potatoes but because they use other stuff that in large quantities doesn't do you any good.

Potatoes have gotten a bad rap for no reason whatsoever.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Pair it with a good protein source and you will be fine eating them...the idea with white carbs is they process into your body and cause a blood sugar spike shortly after eating them, causing you to be hungry.. to slow down that process, pair it with good fiber and protein, chicken, steak, etc.

if you have insulin problems, eat half the potato instead of all of it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. Your body doesn't care if it's a white potato, a sweet potato, a bag of chips or french fries. If it fits in your budget eat what you want.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It isn't a refined carb unless your family is using instant potatoes.

White potatoes are starchy vegetables and have nutritional value. Unless you are on a low-carb diet, no need to avoid them.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You are better off going with a sweet potato. Great nutrition and they taste amazing. Scrub/wash, poke with fork, cut off ugly parts and microwave for 3.5 minutes on each side. You don't even need butter! Enjoy!

Curious as to why you feel that way? Why are they better off with sweet potato?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Carb-wise, sweet potatoes have no advantage over white ones.

Eat them if you like - keep an eye on the quantity though, it's very easy to have a huge portion of potato.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    We are having them tonight. Prob have them a few times a year; we opt for sweet potatoes normally (with marshmallows, which is neitherherenorthere.) My husband will inevitably go crazy with butter, SC, bacon and cheese on his. But he's 6'2, 160 lbs and will never in his wildest dreams have a need for a site like this. I, on the other hand, will attempt to stomach half a plain potato, skin included. Keep me close to the cross, Jesus.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Provided you eat the skin as well as the flesh, potatoes are very good for you. A russet potato contains iron, vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, fiber, and a small amount of protein. Enjoy your potatoes, just don't cover them in butter and sour cream all the time.
  • eggsmilkbread
    eggsmilkbread Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Nobody can separate my true love and I. NOBODY.
    PotatoesBaked1.jpg
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • bystander1943
    bystander1943 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    College break isn't that long, is it? Unless you want to upset your Mum, eat the potato. They're a pretty decent vegetable to eat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    hi just interested in what are people's views on this if any...i know many will say sweet potato and i've tried it and i do like it.

My concern is i'm a college student and i'm home on break at the moment and my family often cook white potato for dinner, i don't always have it but feel bad refusing it the whole time however, i'm just wondering if this is a refined carb is it bad for me?

I'm working on reducing upper tummy fat thus limiting my refined carb intake is this hindering my progress, what are everyones elses thoughts on white potato?

Potatoes are tasty and great for satiety
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not refined carbohydrates, so go for it. They are especially good baked, skins on. They make a quick lite meal with some grated cheese/baked beans, and salad on the side.
    Sweet potatoes are slightly better in that they release their sugars more slowly during digestion, reducing the post meal blood sugar spike, therefore requiring less insulin. Better for those with diabetes.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I think white potatoes got a bad rap!! Not sure if it is the whole low carb thing but I think they are ok -- they are not a bad, avoid food. I have added them back to my diet. I usually just add homemade salsa to it or put my veggies on it with a little cheese. I don't eat them everyday or all the time but I added them back...forgot why I stopped eating them in the first place!!!
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with potatoes, white or sweet. It's a vegetable! Vegetables are good for you, sad thing is Potatoes got a bad reputation that it doesnt deserve.

White potatoes keep you full longer, are low in calories, and you don't feel heavy after eating them.

They also have health benefits. They are filled with Vitamin B-complex, vitamin C, and some minerals, like potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, great source of calcium, and high in fiber

Just don't deep fry them and add a ton of salt, and you'll be fine

Eat up! :wink: