Is there a "healthier" cheese than the Kraft Singles?

Options

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend Kraft Singles... I know they are not real cheese and frankly are pretty terrifying to think about, but they are just so tasty in scrambled eggs and grilled cheese. Don't you worry, I appreciate the good stuff too, but to each their own guilty pleasure, eh?
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and second this. If it tastes good and fits my macros I eat it. FDA standards are good enough for me.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For me, I stop by farm stores whenever I see one- they sell their own WONDERFUL homemade cheese (as well as pickles and fresh eggs).
    If you live in a large city with no farms, my next suggestion is the grocery store brand, Sargento. Sargento Baby Swiss is VERY low calorie, they also make provolone, yellow cheddar and a Muenster I love and a pepperjack. They are all really good.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Almost ANY cheese is healthier than Kraft Singles. Processed foods are SO bad for you, and that stuff isn't even real cheese. Look at the ingredients when you are at the store. If it has a bunch of stuff you can't pronounce, you shouldn't buy it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Ok. I am very aware that Kraft Singles are the wrong thing to eat. Thus why I created the thread. I am looking for examples/suggestions other than "Real Cheese" I could have gathered that much myself haha.

Go the the grocery store...look at real cheese, not processed singles...pick one out...put on sandwich and eat it. Do you seriously not know what "real cheeses" are? You seriously need someone to suggest something specific like...hmmm...cheddar?
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    How is this thread still going...?!
    sweet goodness!
    READ THE PACKAGING!
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options
    How is this thread still going...?!
    sweet goodness!
    READ THE PACKAGING!

So you're suggestion for getting ideas of a better cheese is to eliminate the suggestions of people on the internet as a starting point, go to the store and read 100's of packages? Rather than have the [mostly] wonderful people of this community make suggestions of a healthier alternative to what I am eating now? Seems like a backwards way which would waste a lot of time. Thanks to this thread, which you deem so pointless, I now have a dozen different suggestions of healthy alternatives to what I am currently eating.
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Cracker Barrel, Black Diamond (those are the ones I go to in Canada, not sure if they're available in the US or elsewhere).
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend Kraft Singles... I know they are not real cheese and frankly are pretty terrifying to think about, but they are just so tasty in scrambled eggs and grilled cheese. Don't you worry, I appreciate the good stuff too, but to each their own guilty pleasure, eh?

This. I love Kraft 2% singles in my grilled cheese.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Cracker Barrel, Black Diamond (those are the ones I go to in Canada, not sure if they're available in the US or elsewhere).
    Wanna know something neat? Canadian Kraft Singles are nothing like American Kraft Singles. Ours still have cheese in them. The American ones are abominations.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    That's the only way to make a proper grilled cheese Kraft Cheese, yellow mustard, and wonder bread.

Well I guess velveeta is also acceptable.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I feel so cheated!

Here is a comparison of USA (top) and Canada (bottom) ingredients life aint fair..I'm moving to canada.

USA Ingredients: MILK, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILKFAT, SODIUM CITRATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, CHEESE CULTURE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ENZYMES. CONTAINS: MILK.
    Size: 12 OZ

Canada Ingredients: MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, CHEESE (MILK, MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, BACTERIAL CULTURE, SALT, MICROBIAL ENZYMES, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, LIPASE, COLOUR), WATER, SODIUM CITRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, MALTODEXTRIN, CARRAGEENAN, SORBIC ACID, CELLULOSE GUM, LACTIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, COLOUR. MAY CONTAIN: SODIUM ALGINATE, GROUND MUSTARD, SPICE.

Although cellulose doesn't sound good to me.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I feel so cheated!

Here is a comparison of USA (top) and Canada (bottom) ingredients life aint fair..I'm moving to canada.

USA Ingredients: MILK, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILKFAT, SODIUM CITRATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, CHEESE CULTURE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ENZYMES. CONTAINS: MILK.

Canada Ingredients: MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, CHEESE (MILK, MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, BACTERIAL CULTURE, SALT, MICROBIAL ENZYMES, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, LIPASE, COLOUR), WATER, SODIUM CITRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, MALTODEXTRIN, CARRAGEENAN, SORBIC ACID, CELLULOSE GUM, LACTIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, COLOUR. MAY CONTAIN: SODIUM ALGINATE, GROUND MUSTARD, SPICE.

The Canadian label doesn't seem that much better to me. I'll just skip the Kraft altogether.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I feel so cheated!

Yum! And here's the ingredients of Leerdammer cheese : "Milk, Salt (1.5%), Lactic Ferments, Vegetarian Rennet."

Tough choice.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I was always told the harder and whiter the better teh cheese is for you. I like Sargento's baby swiss deli slices. Not fancy cheese at all but tasty, available, and way better than Kraft singles for you.
  • ksuh999
    Options
    I feel so cheated!

Everything that is from a plant contains cellulose.

Of course, that doesn't explain why Kraft Singles have them :)
  • ksuh999
    Options
    I feel so cheated!

Yum! And here's the ingredients of Leerdammer cheese : "Milk, Salt (1.5%), Lactic Ferments, Vegetarian Rennet."

Tough choice.
    Meh. Even Kraft's Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese is fairly simple:

Ingredients: MILK, CREAM, BACTERIAL CULTURE, SALT, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, COLOUR, MICROBIAL ENZYMES

Note: Cheddar, by tradition, is always coloured.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I feel so cheated!

Tough choice.

You know, I was going to respond with the ingredients list of a block of Ballyshannon Irish Cheese by KerryGold but I can't find one. It must just be cheese. LOL
  • jcartwright2008
    jcartwright2008 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ok. I am very aware that Kraft Singles are the wrong thing to eat. Thus why I created the thread. I am looking for examples/suggestions other than "Real Cheese" I could have gathered that much myself haha.

Go the the grocery store...look at real cheese, not processed singles...pick one out...put on sandwich and eat it. Do you seriously not know what "real cheeses" are? You seriously need someone to suggest something specific like...hmmm...cheddar?

Do you seriously need to bash someone for asking a question?

He's trying to get help, back off, if you don't like it don't read it. There is no need to make a nasty post.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If you're on the West Coast of the US, my go-to is Tillamook Cheddar slices. Real cheddar cheese, pre-sliced. It's not individually wrapped though.

I am sadly in the midwest (Minnesota) so Tillamook may not be an option unfortunately. Many have suggested it though so I would love to try it. Im gonna look around tonight.

I am in Texas and we have Tillamook at our Wal-Mart, Sams and HEB.

I have found Tillamook Cheese in the HyVee stores in Iowa - look in the specialty cheese section. Yah - Tillamook is divine - one of the benefits of living in Oregon. The plant is about 3 hours north - a plant visit is on my "to do" list.
  • ksuh999
    Options

Do you seriously need to bash someone for asking a question?

He's trying to get help, back off, if you don't like it don't read it. There is no need to make a nasty post.
    Yes, and the OP is actually looking for specific brands. There's a lot of "real cheeses" that taste like utter crap.