White Potato...stay away from it or??

Options

Replies

• Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't think they are bad for you as long as you don't eat too many.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You are better off going with a sweet potato. Great nutrition and they taste amazing. Scrub/wash, poke with fork, cut off ugly parts and microwave for 3.5 minutes on each side. You don't even need butter! Enjoy!

Curious as to why you feel that way? Why are they better off with sweet potato?

While the calorie and protein content are pretty much the same, sweet potatoes have a better vitamin value. AND they taste better lol. You wont even need to salt or butter them because they taste so good (and I prefer the texture of sweet over the white ones).
    I prefer the taste of white potatoes to sweet ones. White potatoes have good nutrition and are tasty (presumably the OP finds them tasty, or wouldn't be asking about them). I find them a great source of potassium. Just because sweet potatoes are good for you, doesn't mean that white potatoes are bad for you. It also doesn't have to be either or. Both can be part of a balanced diet.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Carbs are NOT the devil, like most people assume. In fact, they are good for you. Eat the white potatoes all you want. Just track your calories and totals like everything else, and you'll be fine. I find if I input what I plan on eating at the beginning of the day, then if I am over on something I can adjust accordingly and keep myself on track.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes! I hate sweet potatoes.
    Baked potatoes are not a bad treat here and there, even with a meal. All depends on what you put on them :)
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    are you racist? EAT THE POTATOOOOO
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Regular potatoes I LOVE :love:
    Sweet potatoes on the other hand :grumble:

Go ahead & eat the white potato...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    unless you're a diabetic or you're looking for certain things like extra vitamin A.. doesn't really matter.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I hate sweet potatoes... I don't know why - just do. So when we have potatoes we eat red or white ones... normally whatever is cheaper at the store. Nomnomnom
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    EAT ALL THE POTATOES.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    I jump started my latest health regimen by eating one baked potato (white) every day. The reason was that I had a huge weakness for potato chips, and it was keeping me from implementing my health regimen. So to curb the cravings, I started eating a potato with salt and pepper. Voila, it made me get rid of the chips garbage, and eventually I wasnt eating a potato a day but whenever I felt like it.
  • Charlie_Hooper
    Charlie_Hooper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Without purposely treading on people's toes, I would suggest sweet potato. The sole reason for this is because I watch the Hodge Twins (twin bodybuilders with channels on youtube), and they did a video on 'cutting', which suggested white potatoes aren't great and to replace them with sweet potatoes.

I'm sure the others have reasons to suggest otherwise, but I followed the hodgetwins advice to a T and my weight loss is mainly down to that video!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine if they fit into your daily goals. But I would count them as a starchy carb and not a vegetable (if you count such things).
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Without purposely treading on people's toes, I would suggest sweet potato. The sole reason for this is because I watch the Hodge Twins (twin bodybuilders with channels on youtube), and they did a video on 'cutting', which suggested white potatoes aren't great and to replace them with sweet potatoes.

I'm sure the others have reasons to suggest otherwise, but I followed the hodgetwins advice to a T and my weight loss is mainly down to that video!

I agree^^^^^ I eat a high fat diet and low carb so I dont expect many people to understand, but I wont be eating a potato anytime soon as I am in super weight loss mode right now.

Once i get to my goal weight ill have a few potatoes (probably fried) per week. But for major weight loss and results I stay away from both sweet or other.

I also watch the Hodge Twins (twin bodybuilders with channels on youtube) love them have great advice
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic or in a high risk group for developing diabetes (a large and ever-growing part of western societies), limiting impacts to your blood sugar levels and the resulting insulin responses is a sound health management tactic. The glycemic index measures these impacts, and yams have a low glycemic index of around 50, while white potatoes are a high glycemic food with an index of about 100. So eating white potatoes will result in faster release of sugar into the bloodstream that will result in more insulin released as a response than will eating yams. You can mitigate these effects by combining with low glycemic foods that delay release of sugars, but you can't elminate them. So eat what you want but at least know the facts and think about how they might be relevant to your health.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    keep-calm-and-make-all-kinds-of-gains-6.png
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies, didn't expect such a positive response I usually eat a roast spud or some mash while im home and I've counted it in my macros so I know i'm doing ok guess I was just caught up in all the myths going around :L....thanks again for the helpful replies :)

also why is insulin response such a big concern even to people that wouldnt have diabetics? ...i dont understand it, i mean surely if you are eating within your calorie limit you're not going to still be storing fat all the time....
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sidsnail8
    sidsnail8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have changed to a natural organic plant based diet and eat all the things I would have thought were bad.............heaps of nuts, dried fruit etc..............potato, yes eat it more now than I did before and still losing weight, I find it better to have for lunch rather than dinner but due to my work I end up having late dinners so eat heaps of high protein foods in the evening.........if ur worried about weight just be sensible with what you put on top of it. Also a student, jacket potato and baked beans is a winner everytime lol. xx
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i just had a potato loaded with cheese last night. along will a nice grilled ny strip and asparagus. it was very tasty! i have lost 50 lbs in 3 1/2 months here. it hasnt seemed to stop that lol. just fit it in your macros:)