1000 Calories a Day

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Please eat more. Do you plan on eating 1000 calories a day for the rest of your life?
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You won't lose any weight starving yourself, just muscle loss. Get online to search recipe websites and train yourself how to ear right. I drop weight eating over 2000 cals a day with weightlifting and clean eating, that's all it takes.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I know someone who did it and she lost 26 pounds in 2 months. then she increased her intake to 1200....I am very ok and i'm not starving at all. i just have better choices in food :D

Curious to see if you will feel the same way at week 5 day 3.
  • lahalab
    lahalab Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Who says i'm starving myself??!!
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    The easiest way to eat less calories is to make sure that you are eating clean and whole foods. Lots of lean meats and vegetables. Think, chicken, turkey, pork and lots of veggies in whatever you're making. It's important to still eat balanced meals though so make sure to include quinoa, brown rice, etc for your carbs. A great 'treat' is unsweetened apple sauce with cinnamon. Lots of spices to keep food from sucking.

I also think 1000 is not a lot but won't harp on you about it. If you're full and you don't feel like crap, then give er'.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You should definitely research your nutritional needs. I'm only 5'0" and I eat between 1500-1700 daily and exercise to lose weight. Try reading these for starters.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

You did....Eating less than the average eight year old is starving yourself - but you obviously don't think you are doing anything harmfull to yourself, so have fun keeping on doing it.....
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I know someone who did it and she lost 26 pounds in 2 months. then she increased her intake to 1200....I am very ok and i'm not starving at all. i just have better choices in food :D

Did you read ANY of the replies you got? I'm 5ft 5 and losing weight on 1800, see my ticker, it works.
    Most people come here thinking they need to eat less to lose weight, then after a few weeks they post to say they are not losing like they want, and eventually listen to advice and up their calories and see the weight melt off.
    There are lots and lots of successful people here, I'd take their advice.

Science
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think this is a joke. To rile you all up. If she wants to starve herself, let her. 1000 cal a day is silly (we all know this), and then burning 200cal more a day on top of it? So... 800 cal a day max? Sounds legit.

If she is serious, she needs help. Eating disorders arent something to mess around with
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    is that for 5'4 females?

girl I am 5'3 and eat 1700 to 1900 a day. I am 48 years old and currently doing Insanity. About 1 pound lost. But many inches overall ( i will find out how many at the end of this month) and a pants size in 4 weeks. throw the scale away eat healthy. find out your bmr and don't eat below that.... We all have to get out of the mindset that starvation equals success.... starvation equals hungry
  • here
    here Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I'm eating 1400-1800 a day. If you're taller than me, don't you think you should be eating more?? O_O
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2'' 128 and I eat 1500 (net) MINIMUM. Usually go over and with exercise i'm eating around 2300 calories a day. I'm losing weight steadily and it is something I can easily maintain. 1000 calories is way too low. If you want to stick to a healthy lifestyle and maintain once you hit your goal weight, eating this little will not work for you. Not only is it unhealthy, but it will likely slow down your metabolism and once you get tired of eating so little you will gain the weight back (possibly even more).
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Science

*gigglesnort*
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't have suggestions, but as short woman I understand why you feel you need to be at 1000. I'll check back to see if anyone has any actual recommendations.

The 1200 calorie minimum on MFP is a guide, not a rule.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above posts...you must eat more.

Check out this link...there's a lot of helpful information. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0?hl=road+map
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't have suggestions, but as short woman I understand why you feel you need to be at 1000. I'll check back to see if anyone has any actual recommendations.

The 1200 calorie minimum on MFP is a guide, not a rule.

Uhhh. Pretty sure several people have had "actual" recommendations. She should be using a deficit from her own personal TDEE (easily calculated here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and not MFP because they are assuming you are going to eat your exercise calories, and their estimates tend to be off as well.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and when I weighed about your weight and I talked to my doctor and told her that I was not losing any weight eating 1200 calories a day (and exercising 5-6 times a week). She informed me that I wouldn't lose eating that amount of calories and that I should eat 1000 a day, even when I exercised. I, too was doing C25K (almost to the 5K by that time) and then running 15-20 miles a week plus strength training 2x/week. I did add some extra calories on days that I exercised, but not much, and never any bread products after 3pm (per doctor's recommendation). I am hypothyroid and it is hard for me to lose weight, but by doing this, I lost 25 lbs. last year.

Everybody is different and those of us that are shorter and/or our bodies work differently are often slammed on here for not eating enough. Do what works for you, but be healthy too. Check in with your doctor and ask for their advice. Eat clean foods, nothing processed in packages or boxes. I ate a lot of salads with protein, chicken and green veggies, or fish and green veggies for dinner. Most of my calories were eaten earlier in the day. Good luck!

sorry but, 5ft4 is not on the "shorter" side. when people talk about shorter women needing fewer than 1200 calories, they are talking about 5ft of under. You state you have thyroid issues. now THAT is a real problem for people losing weight, but being 5ft4? nope, that's not short enough to warrant such a low calorie diet. (5ft 3 here, lost 90 pounds since last summer, currently eating between 1400-1500 a day. sometimes more. and I could eat more if I didn't sit on my rear end so much)
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that with your goal weight you have a certain body shape in mind? When you cut to below 1200 net calories a day, your body WILL metabolise muscle, not as much as it metabolises fat but it will eat muscle, so you may get down to your goal "weight" but you will not have that goal body you desire. How do I know? Experience!! I went from 180 to 150 in 2 months, I was smaller, yes but not any less fat. Infact I gained cellulite and became less fit and mentally able.

But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself. 3 weeks in you'll post "Why am I not losing any weight?", 6 weeks in "Argh, no energy", 2 months in "I've only lost 10lbs in 8 weeks, why?!", 3 months in "Increased to 1400, feel so much better and losing weight again!".
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    So at 28 years old, 5'4" and 155 lbs, exercising 3 hours (light) per week, you're burning an average of 1950 calories per day.
    Losing 25 lbs in 2 months is unreasonable for you. Even if you succeed, you will need an even lower goal weight because you'll probably lose about 5-7 lbs of muscle in the process.

Try eating 120g protein daily with a total calorie intake of 1600. You should lose about a pound every 10 days in a healthy manner.

Or do about 1500 on rest days and 1700 on C25k days.

So for those who didn't read all the posts... this was my "actual" recommendation posted back on page 1. The numbers came from here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

You can eat less. And you may lose. You may not. Do you people think that those of us who so passionately advocate eating more are doing so to sabotage your weight loss efforts?! I can say with all sincerity I want everyone to be successful and achieve their goals.

I once lost 60 lbs doing about 1200-1500 calories/day and lost 13 lbs of muscle in the process. This time I didn't have nearly as much to lose, but I went about it in a more sustained way... I wish I still would have done it differently (lifting and eating enough protein)... so I'm just hoping people will skip doing it wrong and go straight to the most reasonable approach.

We're not just trying to be mean.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling well enough to maintain your exercise regimen and other daily activities? Are you receiving enough vitamins, nutrients etc. with your 1,000 calories? If so, it’s not my place to judge the amount of calories you are eating. Just make sure you take care of yourself! :smile:

In regards to the question you asked, try to eat raw foods, especially veggies. They are typically low in calories and will provide you with energy, vitamins etc. Additionally, try something like a quinoa-stuffed pepper (Mexican style) for dinner. I typically follow this recipe (of course with a few personal tweaks; for example, fresh tomatoes instead of canned):

http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-quinoa-stuffed-bell-peppers-318400

The way I prepare the stuffed pepper results in about 330 calories per stuffed pepper, plus I always end up with a little stuffing leftover that can be served on the side (the calorie count includes the extra stuffing). I make them four at a time, and I eat one for dinner over the course of four days. Sometimes I’ll add a little fresh avocado, organic cheese, non-dairy cheese etc. to change it up. However, I feel they are also very good and filling on their own.

Best of luck in your journey!