Is there a "healthier" cheese than the Kraft Singles?

Options

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend Kraft Singles... I know they are not real cheese and frankly are pretty terrifying to think about, but they are just so tasty in scrambled eggs and grilled cheese. Don't you worry, I appreciate the good stuff too, but to each their own guilty pleasure, eh?
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and second this. If it tastes good and fits my macros I eat it. FDA standards are good enough for me.

i'm right there with you. i don't care if american cheese is "real cheese" or not.. it is damn tasty in a jucy lucy
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head cheese is wonderful - they made all their cheese in Monroe, WI (at least they did when I worked for them). Their muenster, swiss, baby swiss, and havarti are incredible. A rueben made with BH swiss and corned beef and grilled is sandwich perfection.

Edited to add: the BH American Yellow is really good in a grill cheese sandwich. But it is hard to find around here unless I go to Portland. My kid loves Kraft singles in a grilled cheese sandwich - it's not an every day thing so I don't get too stressed about it.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I feel so cheated!

Here is a comparison of USA (top) and Canada (bottom) ingredients life aint fair..I'm moving to canada.

USA Ingredients: MILK, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILKFAT, SODIUM CITRATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, CHEESE CULTURE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ENZYMES. CONTAINS: MILK.
    Size: 12 OZ

Canada Ingredients: MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, CHEESE (MILK, MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, BACTERIAL CULTURE, SALT, MICROBIAL ENZYMES, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, LIPASE, COLOUR), WATER, SODIUM CITRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, MALTODEXTRIN, CARRAGEENAN, SORBIC ACID, CELLULOSE GUM, LACTIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, COLOUR. MAY CONTAIN: SODIUM ALGINATE, GROUND MUSTARD, SPICE.

Although cellulose doesn't sound good to me.

Yum! And here's the ingredients of Leerdammer cheese : "Milk, Salt (1.5%), Lactic Ferments, Vegetarian Rennet."

Tough choice.

You know, I was going to respond with the ingredients list of a block of Ballyshannon Irish Cheese by KerryGold but I can't find one. It must just be cheese. LOL

Yup. All real cheese has the same basic ingredients, only some have vegetarian rennet and some have animal rennet. A lot also have added preservatives and/or colours. I just happened to have Leerdammer in my fridge.

I guess at least the Canadian Kraft lists cheese as an ingredient! :wink:
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There are actually multiple kinds of cheese made by kerrygold. Dubliner is awesome. Not as hard as parm, not soft like jack, has a sharpish, nutty flavor and is excellent with apples and pears-prolly with turkey too.

And if you are not necessarily stuck with cheese-try some hummus or avocado. With the avo, you can skip the mayo completely and get healthier fat. It's my favorite with turkey.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My go-to cheese is TIllamook Swiss.

80 calories a slice.

That's what I eat, too. Love it.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am stunned that people would even call this crap cheese, let alone put it in a sandwich. Shouldn't even be classed as a foodstuff, it has no nutritious values whatsoever.

IMO this type of cheese generally adds nothing to the overall taste of the sandwich so it a pointless ingredient if you ask me.

If you must eat cheese can't you buy proper cheese in a block?
  • Jackie_Nickle
    Jackie_Nickle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I heard swiss cheese is a good choice
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    And if you are not necessarily stuck with cheese-try some hummus or avocado. With the avo, you can skip the mayo completely and get healthier fat. It's my favorite with turkey.

Ooo yes ... I love avocado in a sandwich and 'avocado and swiss cheese' is an awesome combination but a bit calorific!
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    lol another example of USA#1

Ditch the packaged slices and head over to a dedicated cheese section and buy a little block of something - you could maybe buy a few small samples of different kinds of (relatively) low MF% cheeses and see what you like best.

Personally I love Applewood Smoked Cheddar from the UK. There's some great stuff from overseas, especially goat cheese varieties as well.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Processed cheese slices suck all the joy out of life. You might as well jump off a bridge now if you are going to eat that.

Just eat proper cheese for christs sake.

You'd get lynched in France for less.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Anything besides American cheese. It's not even cheese

^^ it says right on the label " cheese product " whatever the hell that is !
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Anything besides American cheese. It's not even cheese

OMG THANK YOU. You've been such a big help!

Sorry to be a jerk, but don't you think I knew that? If I didn't know that I probably wouldn't have created a thread entitled "Is there a "Healthier" cheese than the Kraft Singles?

:noway: I think the poster who commented 'anything besides American cheese' said that because it would seem a no-brainer. Not to be harsh, but there are literally tons of cheeses to be had at your local supermarket or deli case. Just pick one, it's just cheese. :huh:
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    In honour of this thread, after my run today I picked up a small brick of Kerrygold Dubliner cheese. Will try it out tomorrow.

Another good cheese imo is Fontina. We only get the Danish kind here but it is a nice change of pace from hard cheese
  • kellymoconnell
    kellymoconnell Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any other cheese. If you just want cheese try part skim string cheese. Or babybel cheeses.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Manchengo cheese. Or La Bonne Vie goat cheese in any flavor (honey, #1).
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    cheez whiz on ritz crackers....yum!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Try sargento ultra thin slices.
    40 cal 3g fat per slice.
    4 bucks for 20 slices. You can find it at any chain market.
  • nwfla_man1967
    Options
    here's a link on what to look for in a "healthier" cheese.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/kind-cheese-good-high-protein-low-carb-diet-1913.html
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    In honour of this thread, after my run today I picked up a small brick of Kerrygold Dubliner cheese. Will try it out tomorrow.

Another good cheese imo is Fontina. We only get the Danish kind here but it is a nice change of pace from hard cheese

Yay someone took my advice! :D *is proud*