EGGS eek.

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
I've been looking to ease my carbs throughout the day and eggs seemed like a terrific lo-carb snack, but they're EGGS... my cholesterol is good,but most things say to limit eggs to what, 3 times a week or so? not 2 per day... so what other lo-carb proteins do you recommend? I'm supposed to be around 70gm protein per day... thanks y'all

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with eggs?
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eggs.

In recent years, eggs have come under considerable fire for their high cholesterol content, with many suggesting that they could increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. However, a 1999 Harvard School of Public Health study(http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=189529) published in the Journal of the American Medical Association determined no such link and even went as far to say that regular egg consumption may actually prevent blood clots, stroke and heart attack.

Even if it were a concern... the yokes carry most of the yummy good fats but the whites are where the protein is at! So cut the yolk and enjoy. I make deviled eggs with half the amount of yolks (3 yolks for 6 eggs or 12 halves). I toss the yolks in a food processor with greek, yogurt lemon, green onions, dill pickles. Spoon them into the whites and grab and go. Good stuff.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    We need cholesterol to live. It has a bad rap and isn't this big scary thing we have all been led to believe.

Unless your cholesterol is already high then you have no need to worry about eating eggs.

Also, eat the white and the yolk, I absolutely cannot stand the idea of people just eating egg whites and wasting 50% of the protein that is in the yolk. No one needs to eat a 8 egg white omelet, it's just ridiculous.
  • virtualjunkyard
    virtualjunkyard Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs every morning and have never felt better!
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    We need cholesterol to live. It has a bad rap and isn't this big scary thing we have all been led to believe.

Unless your cholesterol is already high then you have no need to worry about eating eggs.

Also, eat the white and the yolk, I absolutely cannot stand the idea of people just eating egg whites and wasting 50% of the protein that is in the yolk. No one needs to eat a 8 egg white omelet, it's just ridiculous.
    Totally agree with all of this
  • leighann881
    Options

I kinda get where you are coming from BUT it isn't ridiculous if you consider that people have different macro requirements and/or prefer to get their macros in different ways.

8 egg whites have 136kcal, 2 carbs, 0 fat, 29 protein
    8 whole eggs have 588kcal, 3carbs, 40 fat, 50 protein

There are very few foods out their that give you that quantity of protein with hardly any other macros.... and none that have zero fat.

So I don't think ridiculous is accurate. Egg whites are quite the super food. (Not completely knocking on yokes but I love that if I am short on my protein but close on carbs and fat that egg whites can bring those macros up without throwing everything else out of whack.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelets are revolting. :sick: Throw a yolk or two in there for god's sake!

You might not think it's ridiculous but as someone who not only eats for fuel but pleasure, I want what calories I do consume in the day to taste the best they possibly can. With that in mind I only eat clean.
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with eggs hun.

I'd love to hammer Edwina Currie on the head for putting the willies up everyone with her stupid banging on about eggs giving you high cholesterol. I watched something some months ago where this researcher had his cholesterol tested at the beginning of the experiment where it was normal, and then he had 2 weeks (I believe) of eating SIX eggs a day (I like eggs but not that much! Anyway, it was part of the experiment) and then had his cholesterol levels again. They had gone up, but not an enormous amount, and was still at a healthy level.
  • emhos671
    emhos671 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Boiled or grilled shrimp mostly a protein and very little carbs
  • LaLeeper
    LaLeeper Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is supposed to help with high cholesterol, so you can always add that into your routine everyday if you're worried. Egg whites are best for you, but there isn't anything wrong with having the yolk every now and again! :-)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I've been looking to ease my carbs throughout the day and eggs seemed like a terrific lo-carb snack, but they're EGGS... my cholesterol is good,but most things say to limit eggs to what, 3 times a week or so? not 2 per day... so what other lo-carb proteins do you recommend? I'm supposed to be around 70gm protein per day... thanks y'all

i eat 3 eggs a day. eggs are great for you and the cholesterol has NO impact on your vascular cholesterol levels
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

you can do flax. it is a great protein source and the fiber/carbs are equal so the cancel each other out.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with eggs hun.

I'd love to hammer Edwina Currie on the head for putting the willies up everyone with her stupid banging on about eggs giving you high cholesterol. I watched something some months ago where this researcher had his cholesterol tested at the beginning of the experiment where it was normal, and then he had 2 weeks (I believe) of eating SIX eggs a day (I like eggs but not that much! Anyway, it was part of the experiment) and then had his cholesterol levels again. They had gone up, but not an enormous amount, and was still at a healthy level.

I thought Eggwina Currie was the one that scared everyone by saying that British eggs were all contaminated with salmonella, which caused some hysteria for a while

wasn't aware that she said anything about cholesterol in eggs too.... what did eggs ever do to her lol?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Egg phobia, and the cholestorol myth, strike again.

But surely, all the other highly processed stuff that comes in a package stamped "heart healthy" and "low fat" are much better options than eggs. :huh:

Edit: and some fat phobia thrown in as well. Yes, egg yolks have fat. Yes, the human body NEEDS dietary fat for survival, especially for a fully functioning brain. Yes, too much protein in the absence of fat (ie egg whites) can be harmful. Possibility: that the low fat craze over the last 30 years has done more harm than good (since obesity is still rising even though exercise rates have also risen!)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    as for high protein low carb low fat food, chicken breast is very good.

what a great species, it and its eggs are a lovely source of protein :flowerforyou: <-- flower for chickens
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol in food is not the same as cholesterol in your blood - eating food high in cholesterol does not mean your cholesterol levels will go up. It's a myth that was busted apart a few years ago when eggs had been demon food for awhile. Now, rightfully, they are no longer the bad guys.
  • leighann881
    Options
    Egg white omelets are revolting. :sick: Throw a yolk or two in there for god's sake!

You might not think it's ridiculous but as someone who not only eats for fuel but pleasure, I want what calories I do consume in the day to taste the best they possibly can. With that in mind I only eat clean.

I think the taste and texture of yolks are revolting... lol. I would much rather have an egg white omelet and add avocado for fat than eat the grainy texture of yolks. *wretch* to each their own I suppose! (I do like runny yolks from fried eggs and I like whipping the yolk with mayo or greek yogurt/relish/mustard/etc for deviled eggs. I just don't like hardboiled yolks alone or in scrambled eggs. So I guess it works for me :-) YAY!!! lol
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I completely agree! Egg whites alone yuk! Why bother? If you're trying to balance your macros just choose something else if it's between trying to decide to eat the yolk or not.

(1) large egg = 72 cal / 6.3g protein / 4.8g fat (good healthy fat) / .6g carbs (that is point six grams not 6 grams) - the whole egg!

Yum! Yum!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Most of the cholesterol in eggs does not get absorbed by the body. I eat about 4 eggs a day.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fantastic for you!

The cholesterol myth has been debunked, even though it's still perpetuated (even in the medical community).

I eat at least 2 a day and my HDL is through the roof, while LDL is super low!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/04/13/egg-myths.aspx

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167527304001391