1000 Calories a Day

Options
1235»

Replies

• laf0195
    laf0195 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would suggest tilapia- 4 oz filet is less than 100 calories. Season with salt and pepper and bake, squirt with lemon and enjoy with a huge pile of steamed veggies. sometimes when I'm very hungry with few calories left, I eat two different vegetables at dinner. Big salads are great, of course. What else can I tell you? skinnytaste.com has great recipes, check that out. Good luck :)
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    you're eating too little. sure you will lose weight but you will lose muscle mass which will ultimately decrease your metabolic rate. not good. if you are aiming for the skinny fragile look than by all means consume 1000 calories. you should aim for 1500 calories a day.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    If she wants to eat 1000 a day, she'll do it. No one is going to stop her >_>

I don't see why everyone on this site seems to worship food, like it's the best thing ever. Eat to live, not live to eat. Not everyone wants to eat 1600 calories a day.

Nobody worships food. People worship nutrition, if anything. Can you get the nutrition your body needs in 1000 calories. Probably not.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Assuming the calories come from healthy food, the issue is not one of health, but of sustainability. There’s no such thing as starvation mode.

At least I tried to respond to her request for information, which is not unreasonable. No wonder so many of you became overweight, have stayed overweight, and have to keep repeating this process. A diet of 1000 is not for everyone, but for a woman her size with her deadline it's not crazy.

No such thing as starvation mode? So.. losing lean muscle mass isn't a bad thing at all?
    Firstly, a lot of people on this forum have only repeated this process once. And that once was because they did a stupid low cal diet, and then put the weight back on.
    Most have only lost weight once, maintained that, and are using the knowledge to help others.

The key phrase you used there is "WITH HER DEADLINE". Why would someone encourage another to lose that much weight in a short space of time? Odds are that they'll be on 1000 cals for the rest of their life then, because one day of eating a reasonable amount will put the weight back on.
    Focus should be on long term health, not 'I need to fit my *kitten* in a pair of skinny jeans by tomorrow'.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about being able to lose weight sustainably if you increase your calories, I will add my voice to the crowd:

I am 5'0" and have been losing weight steadily since November eating more than you every day. No doubt you will struggle less to find healthy meal solutions for supper if you give yourself a bit more leeway for calories.

Good luck in your endeavours! It may sound like you're being picked on, but most people here just want to see everyone succeed in their weight loss in a healthy and sustainable way. And anyone with previous experience with gaining back the weight would likely give others advice to spare them having to live that experience firsthand.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Assuming the calories come from healthy food, the issue is not one of health, but of sustainability. There’s no such thing as starvation mode.

At least I tried to respond to her request for information, which is not unreasonable. No wonder so many of you became overweight, have stayed overweight, and have to keep repeating this process. A diet of 1000 is not for everyone, but for a woman her size with her deadline it's not crazy.

No such thing as starvation mode? So.. losing lean muscle mass isn't a bad thing at all?
    Firstly, a lot of people on this forum have only repeated this process once. And that once was because they did a stupid low cal diet, and then put the weight back on.
    Most have only lost weight once, maintained that, and are using the knowledge to help others.

The key phrase you used there is "WITH HER DEADLINE". Why would someone encourage another to lose that much weight in a short space of time? Odds are that they'll be on 1000 cals for the rest of their life then, because one day of eating a reasonable amount will put the weight back on.
    Focus should be on long term health, not 'I need to fit my *kitten* in a pair of skinny jeans by tomorrow'.

QFT. The starvation mode DOES exist, albeit under extreme circumstances. There IS a point where a lack of fat and muscle mass can cause a body to do harmful things to itself. Starvation mode isn't something to be "believed in" like a freaking unicorn. IT EXISTS. Is it easy for someone to get there? No. It's really hard. But so is maintaining any sort of healthy lifestyle on 1000 calories or less a day. Particularly if there is exercise involved and no medical supervision. It's ludicrous, and does nothing to improve a person's relationship with food, their health, and their body. Becoming fit and healthy should be the goal. Weight loss is a byproduct of making good choices.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    well played badger well played
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I have one hell of a time trying to eat "more." I often am way below where I am supposed to be.... but I refuse to force feed myself. I am going to try to add some more protein here and there to hit my protein macros for the day. My hunger levels fluctuate with my cycles. Starting middle of next week I will have no problem shoveling the food in my face.... lol. It is what it is.

**SHRUGS**

Be comfortable. Be happy. Do what you want. Realizing that you will have to gradually increase your calories once you hit goal because 1000 probably isn't sustainable long term unless you are cycling through the month like I do. I have decided to track what I eat to see the patterns with my food consumption but this community has taught me that nobody has "the" right answer.

As for you original question.... I made Moroccan chicken tonight. I used the McCormick Moroccan spice seasoning and sprinkled it on and then pan fried in 1 tbsp *measured* of EVOO. I'll eat it for lunch tomorrow with roasted califlower since I don't typically eat after 2-4p.
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    :smooched: it depends like the other guys said on how much you exercise and your BMR mine is low only 1370 calories a day so a 1000 calories would be a luxury. I eat stirfried veg all the time, beansprouts, capsicum, green beans, carrots, onion, and a little soy and sometimes some shredded egg white ommelette. My other favourite vegetarian meal is red dragon pie which is carrots, celery, leek, onions, zucchini, mushroom and asparagus cooked with a tin of tomatoes and herbs, then baked in the oven with cauliflower mash topping with mustard, lemon pepper and a smidgen of parmesan cheese. Both of these recipes suit lowcarb or paleo and make a nice change from salad. I used to be a meat eater but now feel better without but a couple of veggie days will give you the freedom to eat more on the others.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    :smooched: it depends like the other guys said on how much you exercise and your BMR mine is low only 1370 calories a day so a 1000 calories would be a luxury.

You know your BMR is the number of calories your body needs to remain alive while comatose, right? For organ function - brain functioning, heart beating, liver and kidneys processing, digestion etc? That's what you'd likely get through a feeding tube if you were in a long term coma in hospital.

If you move at all, you should eat more than that. Perhaps you've confused BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) with TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)? Where you should eat to lose weight is somewhere in between those two numbers.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    well played badger well played

Why thank you. ;)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I don't see why everyone on this site seems to worship food, like it's the best thing ever. Eat to live, not live to eat. Not everyone wants to eat 1600 calories a day.

You're absolutely right. I would eat 4000 calories a day if I could get away with it because I love food. It's almost the best thing ever. Worship? Not so much...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight...Would like to get to 130 by June 1st.

If you want to be 130 by June 1 and up to 170 by September 1, that might be a plan.

^^this x 10.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and when I weighed about your weight and I talked to my doctor and told her that I was not losing any weight eating 1200 calories a day (and exercising 5-6 times a week). She informed me that I wouldn't lose eating that amount of calories and that I should eat 1000 a day, even when I exercised. I, too was doing C25K (almost to the 5K by that time) and then running 15-20 miles a week plus strength training 2x/week. I did add some extra calories on days that I exercised, but not much, and never any bread products after 3pm (per doctor's recommendation). I am hypothyroid and it is hard for me to lose weight, but by doing this, I lost 25 lbs. last year.

Everybody is different and those of us that are shorter and/or our bodies work differently are often slammed on here for not eating enough. Do what works for you, but be healthy too. Check in with your doctor and ask for their advice. Eat clean foods, nothing processed in packages or boxes. I ate a lot of salads with protein, chicken and green veggies, or fish and green veggies for dinner. Most of my calories were eaten earlier in the day. Good luck!

Sorry, but your doctor is probably just smart enough to avoid direct confrontation with patients. Most likely you were underestimating your calories-in. Your metabolism can only drop so much. The notion that you were running 15-20 miles per week + strength training, and not losing weight on 1200 calories per day is ridiculous no matter how hypothyroid you are. Nobody's TDEE is 700!!!!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

Yeah, I definitely don't want to eat 1600 either. I want to eat over 2000. And I do. So, hah.