Question for the ladies (guys cover your eyes)

Options
OK so I've read all around that medical studies say that regular exercise makes menstrual cramps less painful and lessens bleeding. I guess I'm just wondering how true this actually is. I've suffered from severe menstrual pain for years and recently with my increase in activity and regular workouts for the last two weeks I'm a bit nervous about how much pain I'll be in this month.

I've managed it in the past with Ibuprofen but it would be a huge help if I didn't need to even do that.

Any input is appreciated because I want to know if this is just a rumor started by professionals to get people to be active or if there is truth to it :)

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    when i was in the obese category my periods were horrible. I had pain all throughout my body. They didn't come on a schedule. I bled like a stuck pig.

now that i'm in a healthy range they come like clockwork and I barely even notice them. Sometimes I still get a little bloated and crave salt but other than that I don't really have much pain and they aren't as heavy.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    The fitter you are the lighter the bleeding, the cramps will also decrease and sometimes you might not even see your period depending on how fit you are. So its a great plus to be healthier.
  • tracilynnie
    tracilynnie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well I started exactly on time this month so I'm hoping that's a good sign.. I was actually starting to wonder if I was in the first stages of perimenopause because my schedule was so off but that didn't make sense due to my age. I had horrible periods even before I gained weight and had kids so the pain is nothing new to me but it would be a huge relief if I could live a bit better during those times :)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed much difference. However, if I exercise while I have cramps they don't seem as bad.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Why the hell did i read this *facepalm* :noway:
  • tracilynnie
    Options
    I haven't noticed much difference. However, if I exercise while I have cramps they don't seem as bad.

That's good to hear because today is my 'last chance workout' (hehe) because Thursdays are my weigh-in days and I don't want to be hindered by the pain :)
  • djozwiak1
    djozwiak1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My cycle has actually stopped completely which I don't think is good either! I have other issues going on so looking forward to my docs appt in 3 weeks time to get this all figured out!! I certainly don't miss heavy periods though :)
  • tracilynnie
    Options
    Why the hell did i read this *facepalm* :noway:

ROFL I think it's human nature to do exactly the opposite of what we're told :P
  • tracilynnie
    Options
    My cycle has actually stopped completely which I don't think is good either! I have other issues going on so looking forward to my docs appt in 3 weeks time to get this all figured out!! I certainly don't miss heavy periods though :)

That's scary! Please let us know how it turns out.. I hope everything is ok :)
  • ethibodaux
    Options
    I really dont know if it will help or not, but i can tell you what helped me out BIG TIME. I switched to a Diva cup and it has made that time of the month much less painful
  • WendySPWarren
    WendySPWarren Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The fitter you are the lighter the bleeding, the cramps will also decrease and sometimes you might not even see your period depending on how fit you are. So its a great plus to be healthier.

Yikes! False, false false. If your period stops its NOT a sign of being healthy. In fact it's quite the opposite and can be result of sever and prolonged over exercising and under eating, or other underlying issues. Just google 'amenorrhea anorexia' if you want to learn more about it. An ordinary, healthy women should maintain a regular menstral cycle. If that's not happening, there's possibly some underlying problems.

But to answer your original question, there is a good chance that yours will become less painful and possibly lighter due to a change in exercise. :) Also, if your not on it already, the birth control pill can help a lot with taking off the edge in the long-term.
    Last off, the pain could be a symptom of an underlying problem. I have a friend who is now infertile because she thought that level of pain was normal, so I highly recommend getting some tests done if you haven't already.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

That's not necessarily true. As a teenager I was very light (8st maybe even less at 5ft 2) and healthy and had very irregular, very painful and very heavy periods.
    Also if you don't see your period that is not a good thing at all. Amenorrhea is a sign that there is something wrong with your body.
    The only thing that helped me was going on the contraceptive pill, but I accept that this is not the ideal solution for everyone.
    I do however totally agree with you that it is a p,us to be healthier.
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I had terrible period pains and very heavy bleeding and at that time I was very fit and was on all the school sports teams. The pain and heavy blood loss continued all my life, even when I grew fatter and unfit. The only thing that sorted me out was having a baby. I also have a super-fit friend who, sadly, suffers in exactly the same way even though she has had a child. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful and, hopefully, you'll get sorted out and won't have to suffer much longer.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My periods have been on the heavy side since I started at the ripe old age of 12. Weight and fitness has had no impact.

I have PCOS, and have been put on Dianette to manage my bonkers ovaries. Frankly, the contraceptive pill has never really touched the sides of my periods - merely dictated when they arrive.

I do suffer from cramps - occasional shooting ones; largely just a dull, ebbing ache in my side and back. There's the other symptoms for me too - raging appetite, fatigue, light-headedness, nausea, the works. Joy of joys.

Frankly? Endorphins do help with just feeling good. Exercise, especially if I'm feeling sick and weak with my period, is often the last thing I want to do. But I always feel so much better afterwards - and the endorphins do have something of a numbing effect; whether that's psychosomatic or not I don't know. Still, the end result is the same.

And SUPER FRANKLY? Nothing beats an orgasm for relieving cramps. Just saying...
  • mscarr723
    Options
    If you can push through the cramps and actually get on the treadmill, the cardio WILL help your cramps...something about your muscles flexing and endorphins being a natural pain reliever...I can't freaking remember but yes, try to work out. I am trying to take my own advice because I am DYING this cycle and can't get to the gym either - but we have to!
  • roslynalcistoalbert
    Options
    Just saw this. But when I was younger being active helped. I didn't feel as much of the cramps.
  • tracilynnie
    Options
    Well I did use the pill for awhile and also depo but my doctor told me to stop doing both because of weight gain and the risk of osteoporosis which was a concern for me already having arthritis due to my weight.. I had a tubal done two years ago so that I wouldn't need to take any of that and I'll be damned if I gave up my ability to have anymore kids to just end up back on birth control.

Now I no longer see that doctor because I didn't agree with some of her medical views but I absolutely refuse to end up back on something that I went through surgery and gave up future children to avoid.

I have endometriosis as well which makes the pain worse no matter what I do which is why I have to take the Ibuprofen but I'm hoping a lifestyle change such as this will make it tolerable.
  • Catlady87
    Options
    When I was younger I had terrible period pains and very heavy bleeding and at that time I was very fit and was on all the school sports teams. The pain and heavy blood loss continued all my life, even when I grew fatter and unfit. The only thing that sorted me out was having a baby. I also have a super-fit friend who, sadly, suffers in exactly the same way even though she has had a child. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful and, hopefully, you'll get sorted out and won't have to suffer much longer.

That sounds a lot like endometriosis. Apparently having a child can resolve the issues. However that doesn't work for everyone.
  • Catlady87
    Options
    Well I did use the pill for awhile and also depo but my doctor told me to stop doing both because of weight gain and the risk of osteoporosis which was a concern for me already having arthritis due to my weight.. I had a tubal done two years ago so that I wouldn't need to take any of that and I'll be damned if I gave up my ability to have anymore kids to just end up back on birth control.

Now I no longer see that doctor because I didn't agree with some of her medical views but I absolutely refuse to end up back on something that I went through surgery and gave up future children to avoid.

I have endometriosis as well which makes the pain worse no matter what I do which is why I have to take the Ibuprofen but I'm hoping a lifestyle change such as this will make it tolerable.

I can understand not wanting to take a medication for something that you've already resolved surgically.
    I suppose you're in a position of having to just wait and see what happens, as what works for one woman won't necessarily work for another. However, exercise will of course benefit your health and weight and with any luck will help you with your painful cramps.
  • GeekTink
    GeekTink Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem. Horrible, HORRIBLE period, endless cramps and severe pain all over my body. Not to mention the migraines. I actually asked my doctor what it would take to get a hysterectomy done, as I never want to birth children, but he told me most doctor's won't do it unless you have already have a child. I went on the Ortho Evra patch (it's not for everyone, but its the easiest for me) and it cut my periods down from two and a half weeks of heavy, non-stop Niagara falls to one and a half weeks, with about five very heavy days and the rest dwindling. I'm curious with my new workout routine and healthier lifestyle change if I can get it down to 4 light days and then nothing. That would be amamzing! Hope you body starts easing up on you too!