My Cat Scratched My Baby...I Need Advice

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    http://www.softpaws.com/

Option two, watch Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome.

thunderdome.jpg
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    From what I'm reading, your son tried to play with your cat and, since her only means of escape was closed off, she scratched him. What would you have had her do? Isn't this how we learn as children not to bother animals? When my brother was little and burned his finger on the stove, he learned not to touch the stove - we didn't throw the stove away.

If, for some reason, you do get rid of this cat for doing something that was instinctual, please do not get a kitten, or any other animal for that matter.
  • beccabird13
    Options
    The caps would probably be best. That way your child is safe but if the cat ever gets lost or needs to fend off another animal she can
  • AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    We have 2 cats and 3 dogs. We also have a 2-year-old. They all get along. However, if one of my animals ever did that, they would be gone. It's a cat vs your CHILD. Get rid of it.

And I agree with above posters. Don't get more animals. Once all of mine kick the bucket, we are done for a long time.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the amount of grief the OP is getting from some people... I'm starting to somewhat understand the meaning behind the term "crazy cat lady" cause I reading some of those replies and "crazy cat lady" is all that comes to mind.

The OP needs to realize that their actions also led to this. It's not just about the cat and the baby. There was no real supervision, the child was allowed to continue to bother the cat, and the cat had no escape. As such, the cat acted like a cat should act and protected itself from a threat. If the OP had stopped the situation early on or separated the two then it wouldn't have happened.

So the OP needs to see that they also messed up.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    One half of an inch higher, and my son would be in the hospital right now, being fitted with an eye patch. His life would be ruined forever.

Dramatic much?

My cat scratched my eye a few years ago. She scratched my cornea. I had an eye patch for a day and got goop in my eye. Lol! That hardly ruined my life.

Pay attention to your kid and what's doing. He shouldn't be unsupervised, and clearly, if he was bothering the cat badly enough to get scratched, well, he deserved it or you just plain weren't paying attention.

exactly.
    cat is not aggressive. It was cornered, and threatened.
    it reacted defensively, not with malice, not with evil intent, not even with any true force or thought to hurt.
    it simply said "leave me the f alone"
    the kid probably stopped bothering it after the scratch. end of story, end of problem.
    I bet it did not pursue the child or attack the child after the child desisted in pestering/harming it. And it won't. Ever.

if the kid has any brains, it will stop bothering it entirely. if not, the kid and cat can both be trained.

Stupid toddlers are stupid . . . :noway:
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    National-Lampoons-cat-1_thumb.jpg
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    One half of an inch higher, and my son would be in the hospital right now, being fitted with an eye patch. His life would be ruined forever.

Dramatic much?

My cat scratched my eye a few years ago. She scratched my cornea. I had an eye patch for a day and got goop in my eye. Lol! That hardly ruined my life.

Pay attention to your kid and what's doing. He shouldn't be unsupervised, and clearly, if he was bothering the cat badly enough to get scratched, well, he deserved it or you just plain weren't paying attention.

exactly.
    it reacted defensively, not with malice, not with evil intent, not even with any true force or thought to hurt.
    the kid probably stopped bothering it after the scratch. end of story, end of problem.
    I bet it did not pursue the child or attack the child after the child desisted in pestering/harming it. And it won't. Ever.

if the kid has any brains, it will stop bothering it entirely. if not, the kid and cat can both be trained.

The kid is 14 months old!! You're forgetting the child hasn't even been in the world for 2 years, man...... :noway:
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the amount of grief the OP is getting from some people... I'm starting to somewhat understand the meaning behind the term "crazy cat lady" cause I reading some of those replies and "crazy cat lady" is all that comes to mind.

I will wear the title of crazy cat lady with pride!

having a baby vs. having a cat
    hp3t6.jpg

cat wins :laugh:
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Declawing is sick.

You can file your cats claws down and have those soft paws put on. They are rubber claw caps. You will need to it once a month but it works and doesn't bother the cat.

I agree 100%, declawing is a horrible thing to do to a cat.These rubber claw caps can be purchased at any pet supply store. I too have an older cat that does not really like children. She was 3 when my daughter was born and did scratch her in the face once when my daughter was about 2 1/2 - 3 years old. I scolded her and sprayed with her water bottle and she has never scratched another child. She is now almost 13 and totally loves my 5 year old son (odd bc he is hyper where my daughter was very calm).

Maybe you could try to give her a little time before you make any decisions. The best of luck to you and Elphaba (love the name!!!)
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'd install a cat door to your cat's hidey hole. That way, closed or not, your cat has an escape route from the toddler. Also, keep in mind, you won't have a toddler forever. This too shall pass.

I think your advice is about the best one here. We have 5 cats. The toddler won't be a toddler forever. Toddlers are known for being rough with animals, they don't know any better. Even a kitten will grow and scratch so that isn't the solution. A pet door can be put in any door -and if you're renting - get a replacement door later. Declawing is cruel, so wouldn't do. Getting rid of adult cat who was actually there first, and replacing with a kitten is just going to repeat when kitten grows up . Children grow up and they do learn. I'm sure the child's life wouldn't have been ruined. Even contact wearers who scratch their eyes don't have to wear patches. It was a scary accident, but don't panic - it will all pass and both will be fine. Maybe a kitten in addition to the older cat may help - I would never go back to one cat, they need companionship, too.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    There should be no tolerance when it comes to toddlers, declaw her, she need the attitude adjustment. Violence against humans is a one way ticket in my house.

That is funny. Maybe you shouldn't have any animals in your house because ALL animals have the possibility of doing this. It is not violence. It is protecting themselves when cornered and injured and being threatened. Self defense.
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you can't make a commitment to love and care for an animal for it's entire LIFETIME then you shouldn't be a pet owner. End of story. They aren't disposable. Would you ever think of giving up your child because it somehow no longer fit your life? Do what you can to keep your cat in your home, or at least personally see that it is going to a much better home, with someone you know and trust. It's not a decoration. It depends on you, and trusts you. It could be severely damaging for that cat to go to a shelter and learn to trust owners again.

I'm sorry, I just get so annoyed with people who adopt animals and then can give them up without caring, when it no longer becomes convenient. For then, you are all they have. You are their parent. Have a heart.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Dramatic much?

exactly.

The kid is 14 months old!! You're forgetting the child hasn't even been in the world for 2 years, man...... :noway:

exactly and he won't be 14 months old forever. He'll grow out of his baby antics and leave the poor cat alone.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

Dramatic much?

exactly.

no, you are forgetting what is hard wired into our brains after thousands of years of evolution.
    I chase cat. I pull cat's tail. Fun! *baby giggles*
    Cat no like. Cat scratches. OUCH. *lots of screaming and wailing*

I no chase cat anymore.

also hopefully reinforced by parents not allowing child to pester cat.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    In my opinion luv you have to get rid of the cat. Hard I know, but at the end of the day a cats a cat and your child HAS to come first.......I'm a cat owner and have owned a dog in the past but my children will/would ALWAYS come first :flowerforyou:
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Dramatic much?

exactly.

exactly and he won't be 14 months old forever. He'll grow out of his baby antics and leave the poor cat alone.

Yes but there is no need for comments like "If the kids had any brains" That's just plain rude..
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you can't make a commitment to love and care for an animal for it's entire LIFETIME then you shouldn't be a pet owner. End of story. They aren't disposable. Would you ever think of giving up your child because it somehow no longer fit your life? Do what you can to keep your cat in your home, or at least personally see that it is going to a much better home, with someone you know and trust. It's not a decoration. It depends on you, and trusts you. It could be severely damaging for that cat to go to a shelter and learn to trust owners again.

I'm sorry, I just get so annoyed with people who adopt animals and then can give them up without caring, when it no longer becomes convenient. For then, you are all they have. You are their parent. Have a heart.

QFT.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Laser declaw...expensive but worth the extra...not as painful for cat.

Reluctantly had my cat done 7 years ago, cat acted as though nothing happened. No problems. Shes a housecat, dont let her out as she cant defend herself...but good nes is she cant climb our fence...so she does get to enjoy fresh air and bird watching and mice chasing in the safe confines our our yard only! My neighbors have all told me how they appreciate a non wandering cat!!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    http://www.softpaws.com/

Option two, watch Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome.

thunderdome.jpg

:laugh: :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.