Squats Make You Fat

Options
So a pt told me recently. Think I will stick to curls and jumping jacks from now on. What most stupid advice you have heard someone give at the gym??

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't drink milk because it has too much sugar
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Swimming makes you fat because the water is cold. So you store more fat. You know, like a polar bear or seal :/
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had a PT who was trying to get my business tell me "Yes carbs are bad" when I told him I was trying to eat more evenly (making sure I eat more protein). Don't think he liked when I said err no they aren't bad for you, everything in moderation.
  • IronMikeFox
    IronMikeFox Posts: 458
    Options
    Someone once noticed that I stretched before and after I did my squat workout and told me that I stretch too much. They warned me that I was going to make my joints all loose and weak. I politely thanked them and continued with my stretching.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    (spits out coffee) ok sorry ( cough ahem) THAT made me laugh!!!! LOL
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    That running on a treadmill makes your legs bulky. :huh: no I don't know either,

And that I should never drink water while working out. :yawn:
  • theironpenguin
    Options
    Was "advised" by an older woman that if I lift more than 5kg dumbbells I'd look like a man. I do twice that now and am still not manly!

But if you get any hotter you won't get your head through the door ;)
  • theironpenguin
    Options
    That running on a treadmill makes your legs bulky. :huh: no I don't know either,

And that I should never drink water while working out. :yawn:
    Crazy mofos
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running WILL make your uterus fall out, so don't do it until you are done having kids!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I was told by a client that her "dr" said that her legs were too muscular, that's why they weren't shrinking. So she said she was advised to not workout at all, let the muscle turn to fat and then do cardio to lose the fat....Sorry darlin' no dr is that dumb and your legs aren't big because they are too muscular, you are just overweight like the rest of us trying to get healthy. No need to come up with a crazy story.
  • smi2k7
    smi2k7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When u squat heavy WITHOUT a lifting belt ..u take in a lot of air in ur stomach...which forces it to expand..and hence the elasticity of ur stomach increases..

Which will

1 Indirectly increase ur apetite as you will have more room in your stomach ..

2 the stomach will get wide to get stronger for the next time u squat....This usually gives men a square shaped look...i dunno about women..

...so its best to wear a lifting belt for such compound movements...

This is why squats are very important for hard gainers to gain size...

Flex wheeler used to wear a belt 24x7 ..hence his 27.5 inch waist with a 52 inch chest..

ps.. i got this info from Charles glass...

Please do not stop ur squats.. its a great exercise...just wear a belt....

As for the funniest stuff i heard

1 I should not go heavy on my chest... it will make me look wide...
    2 I wana spot reduce from my arms and stomach only...i do not want to loose from my butt...
    3 if u stop taking protein shakes and replace them with food.. you will lose muscle..
    4 if u touch weights... ull get krazy huge..
    5 u can never get six pack abs without injections..
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Was "advised" by an older woman that if I lift more than 5kg dumbbells I'd look like a man. I do twice that now and am still not manly!

I used to have two older ladies who were my gym buddies. They were convinced that I was going to get fat because I lifted more than 5 *lb* weights.

My mom is worried that I'm going to hurt myself because "deadlifts are dangerous".

And on the opposite end, I had an old guy tell me I wasn't going to get anywhere lifting as "light" as I do. This from the man with the 2" squat and the 3" bench press, who constantly complains that he never makes any progress. He does "lift" very heavy weights, though, so I guess he's got that going for him.

I have mastered the art of, "oh, ok."
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    That I should eat less than 75g of protein a day or I'll absolutely bulk up.

If only it was that easy! ;)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Sorry darlin' no dr is that dumb...

Gotta disagree on that one. I've seen doctors say some crazy, crazy stuff - this doesn't even make the top 10%. As far as I can tell, they make up for the lack of nutritional/sports training in med school by reading a couple of articles in USA Today and figure they're experts, since they're doctors, after all.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I was told that running gives you saggy skin? I dunno if its true.. due to the pressure of when you hitting the floor
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eggs are bad for you!
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    WOW...
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    An older family friend came over when i was working out and saw me deadlifting. She said that if i keep lifting that much weight i will never have babies. I didn't ask for an explanation why.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Running WILL make your uterus fall out, so don't do it until you are done having kids!

I was also told this by someone older - that not only will it fall out but I will bleed to death in the process. :noway:
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    So a pt told me recently. Think I will stick to curls and jumping jacks from now on. What most stupid advice you have heard someone give at the gym??

I've been doing a squat challenge and I'm up to 220 a day. Another person doing this challenge with me has went down a pants size. I can't believe anyone would say that!